• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Engine cleaning ?

R84BMW

For some silly reason after 34 years my 1984 R100 is leaking oil from the sump pan gasket. It probably has something to do with my never checking the pan retainer bolts to see if they were loose!! They were.
Now I can use some help. What product would you recommend I use to clean the oily dirty mess under and around the engine ?? Something that will not harm the paint please !

I will thank you now for all your help, James

Some newspapers or oil pads down, use a putty knife or screwdriver to take the bulk of the build up off, a spray with this-

41wdo0sFNFL._SX425_.jpg

A stiff paint brush to agitate, spray with gunk again, let drip dry and wash with hose.

Some areas of the country have "engine wash down bays" at their self serve car was places. They work good if you are real careful......tough to lay in the grime and get the bottom though.

OM

Go to a Dollar store and look for a product called AWESOME. it comes in a spray bottle and cost a buck. Its great!! Found out about it from a bike detail-er at a BMW rally. Just dont use it on glass.
awesome.jpg

I use Gunk foam as shown above, but I also mix about half and half with plain kerosene in a small plastic container like a gallon milk jug with the top cut out. I then brush it on with a cheap paint brush.

Works great on everything and makes black rubber look black without the super-shininess.

Back