• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Illium Works Risers on a 2018 R1200RT

lstayner

Did a search of the forum and came up empty. Do you need the tool that Illium Works has to remove or adjust the risers? Trying to decide if I need to own the tool or just rent it.

Thanks,

Larry

Renting the tool is what I did. It definitely is helpful to install and adjust the risers but once completed, no need for the tool. Have had mine for 3 years and never have needed readjustment.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You need the tool to mount the Ilium risers.

My BMW dealer has the tool and loans it. Perhaps your dealer does too? If not, maybe he will buy one?

bar-backs.jpg

Thanks

Thanks guys

That helps me out. I will see if my dealer has one. Most likely they will but will charge $100 to use it. :)

Great added comfort

I added these to my 2016 R1200RT and they have been one of the best additions in comfort that I have made!

Thanks guys

That helps me out. I will see if my dealer has one. Most likely they will but will charge $100 to use it. :)

If he does not have it, then you will have to "rent" the tool from Ilium. Happily, at $15 it is not expensive, but it does require some back-and-forth.

I rented it. Probably didn't need it, but, it did work well. My only complaint is that the risers don't "rise" another inch. Still like them.:)

I rented the tool as well. I heard you can heat up the bars to get the "plug" out, but I had visions of me melting all the tupperware. Like a previous post said, best farkle I've added, oh wait, no that would be the Russell saddle, but this isn't a seat thread. Best non-seat farkle I've added to the bike! :dance

My dealer Long Beach Bmw has the tool and they will rent it. Service made me a deal I couldn’t refuse for a 90 minute labor charge they did the install, which by the way took longer as several of the technicians used it as a learning tool(think lots of cooks)
Very happy with outcome
Now trying to figure a way to add lead shot to bar ends to dampen vibrations

Jim

Ilium Works Risers

I ride a 2015 RT, am 5' 8" with relatively short arms, but have always found the stock handlebars quite comfortable, but I see on the forum how popular they are so I'm wondering what the benefits are. Comfort obviously, but how exactly?

Ive been looking at these risers and wanted to know if any other types are available for my 16 BMW RTW 1200.

Wanted to also asked owners who already have these risers have any issues in the twisties taking corners etc if the higher height is safe??

Also I found riding my bike that I find myself gripping handle bars further out because its more comfortable for me so it would be nice to know if these risers also push handlebars further out some??

Thanks

I ride a 2015 RT, am 5' 8" with relatively short arms, but have always found the stock handlebars quite comfortable, but I see on the forum how popular they are so I'm wondering what the benefits are. Comfort obviously, but how exactly?

On rides shorter than about 3-4 hours I don't need them. But past that 4 hour mark, I get pain at the base of my neck, between my shoulder blades, and in my lower back, right at, and just above the belt line. The risers allow me to have a more erect posture, rather than leaning forward slightly, and there's no pain, even when I ride for 10-12 hours.

Well just got the ILIUM WORKS RISERS on and holly crap the benefits of doing this mod. Easier to get in the side pockets, my horn no longer goes off by hitting my tank bag, allowing to install my bracket to hold my iPhone, and the best part is the comfort it gives you if your a taller person. Shout out to ILIUM for designing such a great product. YES rent the tool it helps a lot.

Well just got the ILIUM WORKS RISERS on and holly crap the benefits of doing this mod. Easier to get in the side pockets, my horn no longer goes off by hitting my tank bag, allowing to install my bracket to hold my iPhone, and the best part is the comfort it gives you if your a taller person. Shout out to ILIUM for designing such a great product. YES rent the tool it helps a lot.

Just took my first 1000 mile plus road trip this last weekend with the new Ilium works risers and anyone who owns this type of bike you WONT be disappointed in any way.
My lower back loves me and handling was no different in any way almost like the risers where not even on.

The fact I was able to install an iPhone holder to handle bar riser was a major plus and added safety.
Also the Montech tank bag I had installed a year ago would trigger my horn if I turned my handlebars all the way to the left pulling out or into a parking spot, now the risers keep my horn button from hitting bag. :dance

Best money spent so far.

Just took my first 1000 mile plus road trip this last weekend with the new Ilium works risers and anyone who owns this type of bike you WONT be disappointed in any way.
My lower back loves me and handling was no different in any way almost like the risers where not even on.

The fact I was able to install an iPhone holder to handle bar riser was a major plus and added safety.
Also the Montech tank bag I had installed a year ago would trigger my horn if I turned my handlebars all the way to the left pulling out or into a parking spot, now the risers keep my horn button from hitting bag. :dance

Best money spent so far.

Ballen262 - Some have said that the ilium risers blocked their view to the mirrors; have you noticed any negative impact from the risers?

Bob

I have two wethead R1200RTs now, both with Ilium bar risers and do not feel I need extra mirrors. However, if other riders feel they need more mirrors, go for them.

Last edited:
On my 2011 RT I used Helibar bar risers. They moved my hands up and back but the stock mirrors still didn't work for me. All I could see was the top of my saddlebags and my hands. There, I used aux mirrors, the ones from Wunderlich, and their perch adapters that replace the top clamps on the levers.

On my 2018 RT I used the Ilium bar risers. The ergos on this bike are quite a bit different, and while they moved my hands up and back about the same amount as on the old bike, the stock mirrors work just fine.

Ballen262 - Some have said that the ilium risers blocked their view to the mirrors; have you noticed any negative impact from the risers?

Bob

Man if you hadn't asked this question I would of never even thought about it, I did see any difference with mirrors at all.

RAM Mount

I had the Ilium bar backs installed on my 2018 RT. Does anyone know what I need to order from RAM Mount to install the mount on the Ilium bar risers?

Back