Thread: Cleaning K75 starter switch

Cleaning K75 starter switch

I just haven't found a reasonably detailed, visual explanation of how to do this somewhat delicate operation. My switch starts ok, but the kill feature doesn't work. My bike had been having some hot start issues too, so I thought I'd dig into this cleaning. I cleaned the ignition switch (wasn't too bad), and the starter, but wanted to finish off with the starter/kill switch.

Anyone have a detailed account of this procedure? I'm afraid I'll pop it open and watch all the springs and pieces flying off.

picture of my bike under my carport getting some attention from me. heat and humidity is slowing my progress.

Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Take out the small Phillips head screw and remove the switch cluster from the control perch. Turn it over and look at the underneath side. Operate the starter and kill switch control. The contact area is plainly visible. Get some Deoxit, or spray contact cleaner. Spray the underneath side of the switch assembly and operate all the control switches several times. No further disassembly should be needed. If it is the odds are that the switch is already junk and ought to be replaced. If adventurous, surround your hands and the switch with a clear plastic bag so the little springs and round metal balls are contained. Sometimes people can even put them all back together but not often.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Sound advice there. I'm more of the idea to, like you suggested, just spray off the switch and operate it to loosen and drain any contaminants.

I'll post what I do.

Thanks again for the second opinion!

3 Red Bricks
    Rall,

You wanted detailed and visual: https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread...rt-Kill-Switch

LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

Ride Safe, Ride Far, Ride Often

Lee Fulton Forum Moderator
    3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 98lee View Post
    Rall,

You wanted detailed and visual: https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread...rt-Kill-Switch

That looks good Lee
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

3 Red Bricks
    Rall,

If you are wanting to remove your drive shaft for cleaning or to inspect the universal, DO NOT use those vice grips to grip the shaft!!!

Repeated use of searated jaw pliers on the snout of the driveshaft can leave stress risers and lead to early failure.

P1000442.jpg

Take a 1 1/8" or so hose clamp and tighted it around the snout of the driveshaft. Then use a pry bar against the screw section of the hose clamp, using the end of the swingarm as the fulcrum, being careful not to mar the end of the swingarm. A quick snapping action works better than just heavy pressure. There is a spring clip inside the driveshaft that pops in a groove in the transmission shaft. When reseating the driveshaft to the transmission shaft, slide it on the splines till it stops. Then give it a pop with a dead blow mallet or a hammer with a block of wood on the end of the shaft. It should go in about another 1/2" and not be able to be slid out.

Last edited by 98lee; 07-13-2018 at 07:54 PM.
    LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

Ride Safe, Ride Far, Ride Often

Lee Fulton Forum Moderator
    3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare