Thread: Reg. gas for an RT?

Reg. gas for an RT?

On P. 181 of my owners manual (2018 RT) it says something about reprogramming the computer to accept 87 AKI fuel.

What da heck is AKI...is that for the USA.

I been putting 92 but apparently it says 89 on my Manual.

What? I am utterly confused on this one
    "...whether is clear to you or not, the universe is unfolding as it should"

Anti-Knock Index (AKI) or (R+M)/2Edit
    In most countries, including Australia, New Zealand and all of those in Europe,[citation needed] the "headline" octane rating shown on the pump is the RON, but in Canada, the United States, Brazil, and some other countries, the headline number is the average of the RON and the MON, called the Anti-Knock Index (AKI), and often written on pumps as (R+M)/2. It may also sometimes be called the Posted Octane Number (PON).

Your bike should be the same as my 2015 GSA, insofar as recommended fuel grade, and it is indeed 89 for the wetheads. For the adventurous types, riding around the world etc., they can have their bikes re-programmed by the dealer to run on 87.
    Mark
    2015 R 1200 GS Adventure

Registered User RIDERR1150GSADV's Avatar
    Unless you're redlining your bike, you can run 87 and the bike will run fine. There is a whole debate on ADVrider about this too.
    I suggest you fill the bike with what makes you happy but personally I have never had an issue with any bike running 87 but I am also not dogging the engine.
    Also I do get non-ethanol gas from time to time to flush the fuel system from the corn syrup.. YMMV
    MOA # 108516
    Current ride 2017 R1200RT White
    Past rides '04 R1150RT, '05 K1200LT, '06 R1150GSA

Quote Originally Posted by RIDERR1150GSADV View Post
    Unless you're redlining your bike, you can run 87 and the bike will run fine. There is a whole debate on ADVrider about this too.
    I suggest you fill the bike with what makes you happy but personally I have never had an issue with any bike running 87 but I am also not dogging the engine.
    Also I do get non-ethanol gas from time to time to flush the fuel system from the corn syrup.. YMMV
    Redlining the bike wouldn't be as much of a problem as lugging the engine and/or placing a high load on the engine at low RPM.. IMO these are the situations where detonation and damage are most likely to occur.
    2016 R1200RT
    2007 KTM 450 XC-W (10/17 - 5/18)
    2005 R1200RT (2/2015 - 12/2016)
    1985 Yamaha XJ 700 Maxim (7/1989 - 9/1991)

Registered User RIDERR1150GSADV's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by alegerlotz View Post
    Redlining the bike wouldn't be as much of a problem as lugging the engine and/or placing a high load on the engine at low RPM.. IMO these are the situations where detonation and damage are most likely to occur.
    Yes lugging the engine is another bad one for pre detonation...
    MOA # 108516
    Current ride 2017 R1200RT White
    Past rides '04 R1150RT, '05 K1200LT, '06 R1150GSA