• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Vortex Generators (Maybe even Winglets!)

Inst

I recently read a post talking about how vortex generators can reduce aerodynamic drag on a motorcycle by creating laminar flow around the rider, preventing the rider from creating turbulent flow.

See: http://canadamotoguide.com/2016/05/04/motorcycle-aerodynamics/

Now, I think most of us don't have access to supercomputers to model vortex generators on a motorcycle, but for the average rider, are there rules of thumb with vortex generators? Can laymen reduce parasitic drag on a motorcycle through the deployment of vortex generators?

Most of the vortex generator kits I have install on most general aviation aircraft are small and could be made easily. They area mostly 1/4” angle 1” long the leading edge is curved. They epoxied in place. They are not just randomly installed.

Aerodynamics is a complex subject, and not necessarily intuitive. I took a couple of courses in it in engineering college; just enough to know I don't know much.
The odds that you could come up with a system which would make any significant difference without a significant investment in modeling and/wind tunnel time are slim. Too many variables in real-world conditions, rider sizes and positions, and for what benefit?
FWIW, even your linked-to article contains errors. A bike's drag coefficient of 0.6 doesn't mean it has more drag than a large SUV. That coefficient needs to be multiplied by the vehicle's frontal area to determine total drag, which the author apparently overlooked.

Back