Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Making sense of the George Clooney scooter crash?

Revised post #3, sorry - it was hot and I was tired...
    I've lost two bikes, and spent a little time in the hospital, thanks to "SMIDSY".

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by 8ninety8 View Post
    just can't take anything for granted when riding. Rarely do i blow on down any road today reveling in the ecstatic joy of riding my bike with adoring onlookers marveling at my extreme fortune of owning a fine machine whilest they are saddled with a minivan. Fwiw, two sense.

really honest and .true

I added two Clearwater Ericas with amber lenses this Spring. First trip out I GOT NOTICED. They are so bright, even at the lowest setting, I aimed them down 10 degrees or so to be polite but they are still shining stars. Tap the horn or high beam switch and they come alive at full 600 lumin power sufficient to awaken an Egyptian mummy.

Smidsy

Quote Originally Posted by Pauls1150 View Post
    Revised post #3, sorry - it was hot and I was tired...
    I've lost two bikes, and spent a little time in the hospital, thanks to "SMIDSY".
    SMIDSY is the approach I take on every ride now. It's somewhat outlined in the book, "The Invisible Gorilla", where it explains WHY drivers don't see us. It's the way the brain works, and we all have the capability to not notice things right in front of us. Bicyclists, Pedestrians, Cats.........

And sorry that George got hurt. His politics are irrelevant. He was riding a motorcycle. That makes him one of us.

RickR90s

Quote Originally Posted by sailorlite View Post
    What happened there? News comments like broken helmet, 60 mph, not at fault, catapulted 20' straight up, etc., are difficult to reconcile. Evidently his injuries were not too severe thankfully. Anyone have a better understanding of this motor scooter accident?
    I saw a report that included a traffic camera grainy video. Clooney stuck the front of a Mercedes that started a left turn in front of him. He was wearing a helmet. I didn't hear any mention of other protective gear but considering the impact - he struck the windshield of the car - and the fact that he is just sore and bruised, and left the hospital that afternoon, I would guess that he was wearing some additional gear. Definitely not shorts and tee shirt.
    Michael Stock, Trinity, NC
    R1100RT, R100, R60/6

Quote Originally Posted by m_stock10506 View Post
    I saw a report that included a traffic camera grainy video. Clooney stuck the front of a Mercedes that started a left turn in front of him. He was wearing a helmet. I didn't hear any mention of other protective gear but considering the impact - he struck the windshield of the car - and the fact that he is just sore and bruised, and left the hospital that afternoon, I would guess that he was wearing some additional gear. Definitely not shorts and tee shirt.
    While I still practice ATGATT to take advantage of anything to reduce injury intensity I get the sense most gear beyond a good helmet doesn't do a as much as we'd hope in terms of reducing the risk of major injury or fatality which almost always is secondary to sudden deceleration or other severe blunt trauma, decapitation or other, and there is no gear that will save you with these mechanisms of injury.

'99 '03 '06 National Co-Rally Chair Friedle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ncpbmw1953 View Post
    While I still practice ATGATT to take advantage of anything to reduce injury intensity I get the sense most gear beyond a good helmet doesn't do a as much as we'd hope in terms of reducing the risk of major injury or fatality which almost always is secondary to sudden deceleration or other severe blunt trauma, decapitation or other, and there is no gear that will save you with these mechanisms of injury.
    When this gets to bothering you excessively, it is time to buy a surplus military Hummer, or Abrams A1A main battle tank, to address your concerns. On a two wheeler you can not escape the two major differences between an open two wheeler and an enclosed four wheeler....Stability and Vunerability.

You either accept that... then practice, develop, and hone you skills (physical and especially your mental skills) while wearing the best gear you can afford while keeping you bike in the best possible mechanical condition possible to minimize the inherent risk.....or suffer the consequences.

I stopped diving off cliffs into abandoned quarries long ago when I thought about the risk/reward balance.

Friedle
    Ride fast safely

This is the first I've seen the crash footage, it's a stark reminder of this is a dangerous hobby and reenforces my ATGATT

Sorry, but any man that is as handsome as he is should not be riding a scooter in the first place.
    Gail Thorne
    2017 F700GS

'99 '03 '06 National Co-Rally Chair Friedle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shortythorne View Post
    Sorry, but any man that is as handsome as he is should not be riding a scooter in the first place.
    That explains why you never see me on a scooter.

Friedle
    Ride fast safely