• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1966 R69S - Value?

shropdog

A friend of mine has inherited a 1966 R69S, black, appears to be all original and very nice condition. Bike shows 21,018 miles on it, same owner since 1974, hard bags, extra dual seat (has stock dual seat on it). Ballpark...what is this bike worth as he wants to sell it. I have some general pictures of the bike, bags / extra seat, speedo and title on my phone.

He also inherited a 194x Indian he wants to sell too, not sure where to go on valuation on that one! Just as nice as the R69S but, has been restored.

Any help on valuation or guidance is appreciated!

What part of the world is this bike located? How long since it has run? Gas still in tank and carbs? What does the oil look like? What shape are the tires in and how old are they? Were the slingers ever cleaned? Is there any record of previous service? ETC. Lots more questions before I would be comfortable offering a value. Just because it has low miles and is shiny doesn't mean it is worth more than a new bottle of car wax.

Friedle

The bike is located in Indiana. Given the bike was inherited after the death of his father-in-law, and the son-in-law is not a rider / mc owner, I doubt if the owner has the answers to the questions but, who knows. I realize my initial inquiry was rather vague but, I posted what I knew and was hoping for a general guideline for value.

A quick look at Hagerty price guide says #1 concourse condition $25,000 #4 daily driver $10,000. They don't have a lower rating.

Thanks! Never thought of checking Haggarty! NADA shows the same basic ranges with a low of $5k...fair condition. Thanks again!

Does it run?

Very important here. Does the bike run and go down the road or is it a barn find type of bike? A decent looking (original paint) 69S that runs and rides well is worth a whole lot more than one thats been sitting in the corner of that barn for the last 25 years.

A couple pictures of the bike with some detail shots could get you a more accurate value estimate.

Do the frame,engine ID tag and title serial numbers match?

Just as one mans junk could be an other's treasure, one mans treasure could be a pile of junk.

Ultimately the bike is worth a combination of what someone is willing to pay for it and what someone is willing to take for it. It is good that your friend is doing some research on the value of the bike. You might also try the Vintage BMW forum, I think one of the moderators (Kurt) here is very active in the Vintage forum.

R69s

A friend of mine has inherited a 1966 R69S, black, appears to be all original and very nice condition. Bike shows 21,018 miles on it, same owner since 1974, hard bags, extra dual seat (has stock dual seat on it). Ballpark...what is this bike worth as he wants to sell it. I have some general pictures of the bike, bags / extra seat, speedo and title on my phone.

He also inherited a 194x Indian he wants to sell too, not sure where to go on valuation on that one! Just as nice as the R69S but, has been restored.

Any help on valuation or guidance is appreciated!

Not judging your friend and I mean no dis-respect but his father in law left him a gorgeous motorcycle and he seems fit to just sell it?

That's why I'm leaving my R90s to my nephew, a rider, whom has sworn to never sell it. I want him to enjoy it, cherish it and think of me whenever he's on it. To just sell it would break my heart.

RickR90s

Not judging your friend and I mean no dis-respect but his father in law left him a gorgeous motorcycle and he seems fit to just sell it?

That's why I'm leaving my R90s to my nephew, a rider, whom has sworn to never sell it. I want him to enjoy it, cherish it and think of me whenever he's on it. To just sell it would break my heart.

RickR90s

If your nephew ever decides he's not interested, feel free to add me to your adoption list. I promise to think of you every time I ride it. :)

Back