Thread: Tires

Tires

Hey All,
    I hope your summer has been going well. I have a 2006 K12S and am in need of tires. I'd love to say that I'm constantly dragging pegs, but in actuality, that's only on the weekends
    I know we all have personal preferences, but I'd love to hear what you're riding on.
    Thanx!
    Ric

K1300S wearing Pirelli Angel GTs. Are they peg-grinding, full-bore, balls-to-the-wall aggressive curve carvers? Probably not so much as other choices. But at 61, neither am I. But I like 'em and they were the recommendation of the best high-miles BMW tech I know.
    "Soló el que ensaya lo absurdo es capaz de conquistar lo imposible." Miguel de Unamuno 1905

Mark - Las Cruces, NM - '10 K1300S and '17 R1200 GSA

Left Coast Rider
    This is going to shock some here - I'm running Continental ContiMotion tires. I was stuck for tires on a trip and the nearest bike shop had only these in the size I needed. At $180 for the pair I figured I'd finish my trip and then ditch them for something better. Well, I've since done 6,000 miles on them and they're still only worn about 50%. And in the blistering heat of central California and up into the Sierras (Hwy 49) they stuck like glue. Are other tires better? Yup. But for the price and what I'm using them for (sport touring) I can't complain.

Metzler M3's on my K1300S. I'm about due for another rear at 5500 miles and I think I'll stick with them.

Quote Originally Posted by 1957mpd View Post
    K1300S wearing Pirelli Angel GTs. Are they peg-grinding, full-bore, balls-to-the-wall aggressive curve carvers? Probably not so much as other choices. But at 61, neither am I. But I like 'em and they were the recommendation of the best high-miles BMW tech I know.
    Thanx, mate. I have ridden on Angels before and did like them. Just ck'ing to see if things have changed. Good to stick with what works!!

Quote Originally Posted by BC1100S View Post
    This is going to shock some here - I'm running Continental ContiMotion tires. I was stuck for tires on a trip and the nearest bike shop had only these in the size I needed. At $180 for the pair I figured I'd finish my trip and then ditch them for something better. Well, I've since done 6,000 miles on them and they're still only worn about 50%. And in the blistering heat of central California and up into the Sierras (Hwy 49) they stuck like glue. Are other tires better? Yup. But for the price and what I'm using them for (sport touring) I can't complain.
    Wow, sounds good!

Nope, not shocked. To each, us own. Good story, thanx!

Left Coast Rider
    I never run the same set of tires twice in a row. To do so would eliminate the opportunity to see what other companies' technology / developments can offer. I've had Michelin Road 2 & 3, Avon Storm 3-D XM, Dunlop RoadSmart 1 & 3 (really liked the 3s), Metzelers, and these ContiMotions. So....my next set of tires will be Continental Conti Road Attack 3.

Quote Originally Posted by constructr View Post
    Metzler M3's on my K1300S. I'm about due for another rear at 5500 miles and I think I'll stick with them.
    Great, thank you!

I never run the same set of tires twice in a row. To do so would eliminate the opportunity to see what other companies' technology / developments can offer. I've had Michelin Road 2 & 3, Avon Storm 3-D XM, Dunlop RoadSmart 1 & 3 (really liked the 3s), Metzelers, and these ContiMotions. So....my next set of tires will be Continental Conti Road Attack 3.
    Good point, Lefty: One woman, many tires

Has anyone tried the Continental Sport Attack Hypersports??

I currently have the Metzler M3's but may try out the Hypersports.

Left Coast Rider
    Just installed Continental Road Attack 3. Haven't ridden them in anger yet but they certainly feel a lot better (much more stable, as in rock solid, leaned over at say 120km/h) than the ContiMotions that I had on before.
    Last edited by BC1100S; 09-13-2018 at 03:07 AM.

Dunlop Sportmax Q3 Plus on my K1300S. Love'em. i do track days on them in between sport tours to balance the wear from edge to edge...
    Marshall
    92 K75s
    94 K75s
    09 K1300s