• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Tires

Shiloh*534

Hey All,
I hope your summer has been going well. I have a 2006 K12S and am in need of tires. I'd love to say that I'm constantly dragging pegs, but in actuality, that's only on the weekends :)
I know we all have personal preferences, but I'd love to hear what you're riding on.
Thanx!
Ric

K1300S wearing Pirelli Angel GTs. Are they peg-grinding, full-bore, balls-to-the-wall aggressive curve carvers? Probably not so much as other choices. But at 61, neither am I. But I like 'em and they were the recommendation of the best high-miles BMW tech I know.

This is going to shock some here - I'm running Continental ContiMotion tires. I was stuck for tires on a trip and the nearest bike shop had only these in the size I needed. At $180 for the pair I figured I'd finish my trip and then ditch them for something better. Well, I've since done 6,000 miles on them and they're still only worn about 50%. And in the blistering heat of central California and up into the Sierras (Hwy 49) they stuck like glue. Are other tires better? Yup. But for the price and what I'm using them for (sport touring) I can't complain.

K1300S wearing Pirelli Angel GTs. Are they peg-grinding, full-bore, balls-to-the-wall aggressive curve carvers? Probably not so much as other choices. But at 61, neither am I. But I like 'em and they were the recommendation of the best high-miles BMW tech I know.

Thanx, mate. I have ridden on Angels before and did like them. Just ck'ing to see if things have changed. Good to stick with what works!!

This is going to shock some here - I'm running Continental ContiMotion tires. I was stuck for tires on a trip and the nearest bike shop had only these in the size I needed. At $180 for the pair I figured I'd finish my trip and then ditch them for something better. Well, I've since done 6,000 miles on them and they're still only worn about 50%. And in the blistering heat of central California and up into the Sierras (Hwy 49) they stuck like glue. Are other tires better? Yup. But for the price and what I'm using them for (sport touring) I can't complain.

Wow, sounds good!

Nope, not shocked. To each, us own. Good story, thanx!

I never run the same set of tires twice in a row. To do so would eliminate the opportunity to see what other companies' technology / developments can offer. I've had Michelin Road 2 & 3, Avon Storm 3-D XM, Dunlop RoadSmart 1 & 3 (really liked the 3s), Metzelers, and these ContiMotions. So....my next set of tires will be Continental Conti Road Attack 3.

I never run the same set of tires twice in a row. To do so would eliminate the opportunity to see what other companies' technology / developments can offer. I've had Michelin Road 2 & 3, Avon Storm 3-D XM, Dunlop RoadSmart 1 & 3 (really liked the 3s), Metzelers, and these ContiMotions. So....my next set of tires will be Continental Conti Road Attack 3.

Good point, Lefty: One woman, many tires :dance

Has anyone tried the Continental Sport Attack Hypersports??

I currently have the Metzler M3's but may try out the Hypersports.

Just installed Continental Road Attack 3. Haven't ridden them in anger yet but they certainly feel a lot better (much more stable, as in rock solid, leaned over at say 120km/h) than the ContiMotions that I had on before.

Last edited:
Dunlop Sportmax Q3 Plus on my K1300S. Love'em. i do track days on them in between sport tours to balance the wear from edge to edge...

I've ridden Metzler M3s and switched to Michelin Pilot Road 4GTs for my 2008 K12GT. I really like the Pilots and after 14K mi am going with my second set.

Though I'm an old fart, I like to go fast and love the twisty's so I don't baby tires. The Pilots feel excellent on dry and wet roads and with New England roads 14Kmiles is getting my money's worth.

Michelin Pilot Road 5 GT's

Hello all,

Anyone running the new Michelin Pilot Road 5 GT? I was looking today and the fellow had just about any tire I wanted or could order any tire I wanted but he insisted that I try the Pilot Road 5 GT. I was going for the Angel GT's but he said the new design of the 5's is the best of all worlds...big statement?????

He's a good fellow and he has never steered me wrong yet about most motorcycle parts or equipment i've purchased from him. He went on the explain that the new 5's have these rain grooves that will channel water right down to the warning bars because of how Michelin designed the tire and that the side/edges of the tires are great for track days because they're built like a slick....It's an odd looking tire to say the least. Really deep slots not necessarily grooves. $250.00 for the rear. That's a lot for a street tire. Mostly i'm seeing $204-$224 for Angels and such.

By the way are you fellows running the GT's or standard side walls. It's a K1300S but I ride alone not with anyone and I do tour on it but not interstates very often. I'm not a guy looking for huge mileage out of my tires. I'm happy with 5000 miles. I used to be happy with 2000 when I had my older K bikes with sport tires on them. I like running back roads and try to find the most indirect routes when i can

Any Michelin promotions going on to recoup a few dollars?

Thank you all, please let me know your good and your bad about these or if you think something I'm missing and should run the Angels

I don't see why you would need a "fat bike" tire on a K13S.... Especially one up. Go for tires without a "GT" at the end of the name...

The stock size is a 190, 55, 17. Where did the Fat Bike Tire thing come in. I never mentioned a size I took for granted every one knew I was talking about a stock size I was asking about. I do agree about not a GT. I don’t think I want the stiffer side wall.

In my humble opinion, tires are so good these days that you won't be disappointed with any tire from any of the major manufacturers. Now, any questions about which oil you should use? :D

In my humble opinion, tires are so good these days that you won't be disappointed with any tire from any of the major manufacturers....
K1300S 2-up. The Metzeler 01's only lasted 4000 miles. Road 4s are good for 5000 miles and are excellent wet tires. The Road 5 GTS we have now are just OK. No better feel and too soon to see about mileage. We had Roadsmarts years ago that the 4th time they tried to spit us off cold I took them off and threw them away. Maybe the IIIs are better. I absolutely loath the loss of the center tread. Several friends have been caught out on cords when they thought they had hundreds of miles left. So I would disagree that tires are so good you won't be disappointed.
Obviously YMMV, and that's OK. :dance

Back