Thread: Underglow Lighting Thread

Underglow Lighting Thread

I am a proud user of motorcycle underglow lighting. I think it actually should be a necessity, or legally mandated on street bikes, as the lights improve visibility and make you more obvious to other drivers at night. Daytime, the effect is much reduced, but it still allows for greater personalization.

What I hear is that underglow lighting came from the cruiser and touring community, but also that Beemer riders tend to shun underglow lighting. Is this in fact the case? Or is there actually a sizable population of Beemer riders with LEDs?

If so, what would the market be for adjustable LED lighting built into BMW motorcycle body panels? I personally despise the lighting rig I'm working with; I constantly worry that cables will snap or lights will burn out. I can notice clearly the discolored weatherproofing on my LED lights, and I think it would be far better if BMW built the lights into the panels. And if the underglow lighting were an intrinsic option, the lighting could be brighter, and thus more visible both during the day and night.

Would anyone else support built-in LED underglow for BMW motorcycles?

2. 07-11-2018, 04:37 AM

I've never seen a BMW with underflow lighting, though they may exist somewhere. Definitely not for me. Don't be offended, but I think it's tacky.
    Mark
    2015 R 1200 GS Adventure

Definitely tacky.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

I have never been a fan of them, other than when you see them lighting up a custom bike at a bike show to highlight the paint. However, my oldest son just bought his first bike (Honda CB500) and the PO had installed them. I forget the exact brand now, but they have a remote with them so you can change the colour of the lights. One of the features with them (if you tie them into a brake wire) is to have them come on "red" when you activate your brakes. His aren't wired that way, but when I visit him later this month we are going to rewire them so they will light up when braking, I have to admit that has me intrigued.

Brian
    2005 R1200RT
    Brian

Thanks for YOUR concern about MY safety.
    We need fewer laws, not more.

^ this.

You have a valid claim with your "improved visibility" angle. Of course that was the same logic that went into the mandatory headlights-on laws. And those may have helped......until 90% of the cars on the road adopted the same lighting.
    Mandate underglows on all bikes they will lose the ability to stand out, and the bikes will return to being to being overlooked.
    Not that it matters, but I'll also second the vote of those who find them tacky. Silver aluminum Christmas tree lighting comes to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Inst View Post

Would anyone else support built-in LED underglow for BMW motorcycles?
    Not me! I'd quit riding a BMW if it was mandatory.... another vote for the tacky look.
    Gail Thorne
    2017 F700GS

Quote Originally Posted by Inst View Post
    I am a proud user of motorcycle underglow lighting. I think it actually should be a necessity, or legally mandated on street bikes
    Everything I like should be legally mandated and everything I don't like should be outlawed. Feeling thusly, I think that underglow lighting should be outlawed.
    Lee A. Dickinson - Danielsville, GA USA
    MOA 80364 | RA 29650 | ABC 3480 | IBA 8914
    1976 R75/6 - 1992 R100RS - 1993 K1100RS - 2013 R1200GS

Anything I say on this would be twisted into calling me a racist. This is the United States, NOT Nigera or Ecuador. Do as you please.

Quote Originally Posted by DennisDarrow View Post
    Anything I say on this would be twisted into calling me a racist. This is the United States, NOT Nigera or Ecuador. Do as you please.
    This should get them going...

There are a lot of "lowrider" show cars around here that have the under-lights. On a few of them, it looks kinda neat. On many, to call it "tacky" or "poorly executed" is a polite understatement.
    I've seen it a lot at Sturgis - 90% of the time, it falls into the tacky class.
    Now quit giving the DOT ideas!
    Last edited by Pauls1150; 07-13-2018 at 10:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DennisDarrow View Post
    Did I miss Nigera (SIC) and Ecuador mandating underglow lighting?
    Or did you simply pick countries you don't know anything about and assume they must be repressive?

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    What we are going to do is realize customization is frequently cultural-

Throughout all cultures, people have customized their vehicles.

Pakistan bus for example-

California low-rider bicycles-

To motorcycles-

To golf carts-

No doubt it's despised by purists but it's a big world.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by JeffDiCarlo View Post
    Did I miss Nigera (SIC) and Ecuador mandating underglow lighting?
    Or did you simply pick countries you don't know anything about and assume they must be repressive?
    Boy oh Boy I have to thank YOU ...Gary/Omega Man..

As for you Jeffy boy, I truly dont know where your thought processes run but they surely aren't in line with down here where I reside. Government restriction nor ANYONE "controlling what we say or do NEVER comes into my mind"......

This is almost funny......God bless.....Dennis