Thread: Stupid injury prevents Rally attendance

Unhappy Stupid injury prevents Rally attendance

DDBBE30F-C1DD-4AF4-A884-F0083F2D6161.jpg

My calendar says “Leave for the BMWMOA Rally”!

However, I’m waiting to hear back from the doctor about the torn ligament in my foot. Technically, I could probably make the ride, but if I ever lost my balance at a stop and had to put my right foot down... I'd be on the ground wearing an R1200RT.

The injury is a ruptured plantar fascia ligament in my right foot. I was crossing the street to a local grocery store to get travel size toiletries for the ride. Tried to put on a little burst of speed when the “Walk” signal changed, and my right foot exploded with pain.

Ice, elevation and opiods. Crap!

My parents were both from Iowa. My grandparent’s home in Norwalk has been turned into a park. I was hoping to stop by and reminisce. We spent many Christmases and summer vacations out there.

Guess I'll have to stop by on my way to Tennessee next year! ��

Ride safe!
    Kirk Macdonald
    Seattle, WA

7EE9D05A-B218-41A4-8BF2-1086E4F1237F.jpeg
    Last edited by kamacbeemer; 07-09-2018 at 03:14 PM. Reason: Added location

Welcome and sorry to hear about your freak accident. I see you have your comfort companion with you!
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

What a bunch of junk to happen to a fella that OBVIOUSLY RIDES!!…….Monument Valley will be there still as will Niagara Falls. Either way, just spend time in the recliner and let your body do the healing thing......God bless YOU and just know that the road of life is VERY LONG. Many rides and rallies in front of you...…...Dennis

Registered User RIDERR1150GSADV's Avatar
    At least your cat looks comfy! Hope you heal up soon!
    MOA # 108516
    Current ride 2018 R1200 GSA Triple Black
    Past rides '04 R1150RT, '05 K1200LT, '06 R1150GSA, ‘17 R1200RT

Tough luck!

I cannot believe someone has not suggested you DRIVE to the rally! Any vehicle with automatic transmission can be (and commonly is) driven left-footed. It seems a better option than skipping the fun altogether.

Good luck.
    Royce
    On the coast of Kansas
    2012 F800ST

I feel your pain literally. Two weeks ago while unloading bales of pinestraw out of a truck bed, the first bale I picked up was covering a large yellow jacket nest. I turned approximate 270°, heard a popping sound, sprinted 75 feet and collapsed. Amazingly no yellow jackets stings, but I had 2 partially torn tendons in my right foot. They’ve informed me if I was not careful I could complete the tear on either one of them which would require surgery. They said surgery would be worse than the tear because of the location.

Even though I tried to convince my wife I could still ride perfectly fine since all I had to do is operate the rear brake with that foot, but no luck especially since the risk of surgery is too great. So no rallies or motorcycling for most of the rest of the summer.
    IMG_7666 (1).jpg

Quote Originally Posted by royce View Post
    Tough luck!

I cannot believe someone has not suggested you DRIVE to the rally! Any vehicle with automatic transmission can be (and commonly is) driven left-footed. It seems a better option than skipping the fun altogether.

Good luck.
    Since it’s my right foot, it might be a bit painful if I have to slam on the brakes. Also, the idea of being on the road for eight, nine days with a bum leg, zoned on opiates and coffee appears to be a recipe for vehicular destruction and doing permanent damage to the ligaments and nerves in my foot.

And once I get there, what would I do? Walk around and check out the bikes and the vendors? Oops! Sit in the beer tent and enjoy the heat?

Thanks! I’ll wait for Tennessee!