Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Wethead bodywork Fasteners and washers

  1. #1

    Wethead bodywork Fasteners and washers

    On my 2018 R1200RTW many of the fasteners are of the Torx type. Most of the body work is secured by stainless steel m5 x 0.8 screws. The photo below shows the flanged T25 Torx head common to these fasteners. The BMW means that you won't find these at your local hardware store and the A2 is a designation for the type of stainless steel used (actually ASTM-304 corrosion resistant; http://www.volksbolts.com/faq/basics.htm ) -
    bmw_t25-fastener1.jpg

    The next photo shows a side view of the commonly used lengths of fasteners, with two different heights of shoulders. The screw with the taller shoulder is used where two body panels meet over the threaded nut; the shorter shoulder is more common and is where a single body panel is over the threaded nut -
    bmw_t25-fastener2.jpg

    The threaded "nut" is actually a "U-shaped" clip-on fastener. The next two photos show this U-clip.
    bmw_u-clip.jpg bmw_u-clip2.jpg

    One of the things that is quite interesting about the shoulder fasteners is that a nearly clear plastic washer is used. Perhaps this plastic washer is needed to keep from marring the paint on the body work. The photo below shows this small plastic washer -
    bmw_t25-fastener3.jpg

    When I have removed these T25 Torx fasteners I have sometimes had the clear plastic washer fall off and land on the garage floor. These fasteners become invisible when on my garage floor. It was thus necessary for me to come up with a strategy to replace the washers. An inexpensive, but seemingly suitable plastic material is the wall of a milk jug. I use a 1/2-inch hollow hole punch to generate a number of 1/2-inch diameter plastic discs. I then use a 1/4-inch hollow hole punch to create a hole in the 1/2-inch discs. The centering of the punch is done by eye and is approximate. These replacement plastic washers fit and seem to work well with the shoulder T25 Torx screws. The photo below shows the hollow hole punches, a piece of milk jug, and several generated plastic washers. -
    bmw_t25-fastener4.jpg

    A set of hollow hole punches can be obtained from Harbor Freight for less than $10. Link follows -
    https://www.harborfreight.com/9-piec...-set-3838.html

  2. #2
    Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Mansfield,MA
    Posts
    12,649
    Very nice
    I'll "fix up" the title a bit so it will show your effort, add it to the Tag Cloud and our DIY section which is here-
    https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread...Mods-and-DIY-s
    Gary
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

  3. #3
    Debbie's Servant Lee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    4,855
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Southeastern VA
    Posts
    134
    The photos are not coming through. Can that be fixed.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Mansfield,MA
    Posts
    12,649
    Quote Originally Posted by pkpilot View Post
    The photos are not coming through. Can that be fixed.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Been logged in for a long time? Clear your history (which takes it all) and log back in-----if they don't show tomorrow. Happens that way sometimes.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Southeastern VA
    Posts
    134
    I use Tapatalk, and it logs me out regularly. Other ideas to resolve the issue?


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Southeastern VA
    Posts
    134
    I did a force quit and that seemed to work. Thanks!


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Southeastern VA
    Posts
    134
    Quote Originally Posted by robsryder View Post
    On my 2018 R1200RTW many of the fasteners are of the Torx type. Most of the body work is secured by stainless steel m5 x 0.8 screws. The photo below shows the flanged T25 Torx head common to these fasteners. The BMW means that you won't find these at your local hardware store and the A2 is a designation for the type of stainless steel used (actually ASTM-304 corrosion resistant; http://www.volksbolts.com/faq/basics.htm ) -
    bmw_t25-fastener1.jpg

    The next photo shows a side view of the commonly used lengths of fasteners, with two different heights of shoulders. The screw with the taller shoulder is used where two body panels meet over the threaded nut; the shorter shoulder is more common and is where a single body panel is over the threaded nut -
    bmw_t25-fastener2.jpg

    The threaded "nut" is actually a "U-shaped" clip-on fastener. The next two photos show this U-clip.
    bmw_u-clip.jpg bmw_u-clip2.jpg

    One of the things that is quite interesting about the shoulder fasteners is that a nearly clear plastic washer is used. Perhaps this plastic washer is needed to keep from marring the paint on the body work. The photo below shows this small plastic washer -
    bmw_t25-fastener3.jpg

    When I have removed these T25 Torx fasteners I have sometimes had the clear plastic washer fall off and land on the garage floor. These fasteners become invisible when on my garage floor. It was thus necessary for me to come up with a strategy to replace the washers. An inexpensive, but seemingly suitable plastic material is the wall of a milk jug. I use a 1/2-inch hollow hole punch to generate a number of 1/2-inch diameter plastic discs. I then use a 1/4-inch hollow hole punch to create a hole in the 1/2-inch discs. The centering of the punch is done by eye and is approximate. These replacement plastic washers fit and seem to work well with the shoulder T25 Torx screws. The photo below shows the hollow hole punches, a piece of milk jug, and several generated plastic washers. -
    bmw_t25-fastener4.jpg

    A set of hollow hole punches can be obtained from Harbor Freight for less than $10. Link follows -
    https://www.harborfreight.com/9-piec...-set-3838.html
    Any idea where to find these fasteners other than BMW? They are very expensive at the BMW dealers.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  9. #9
    Following are selected fastener parts with part number, description, and unit pricing from the MaxBMW parts fiche -

    Part Number Description Each
    46638521653 BODY SCREW WITH SHOULDER - M5X14,5MM $2.91
    46638521654 BODY SCREW WITH SHOULDER - M5X17,5MM $2.97
    46638532314 SELF-LOCKING PLUG NUT - M5 $2.94
    06327651212 BINDING HEAD SCREW - M5X16-A2-80 $2.38
    18518531936 TORX SCREW - M5X12 $3.82
    46638534938 BODY SCREW WITHOUT SHOULDER - M5X14 $2.86

    These parts appear to be specially made for BMW. As noted, the unit cost is higher than fasteners typically available from the local hardware store.

    I have used one vendor for similar (e.g., T25 Torx head, m5x0.8, A2 fasteners). However these fasteners do not have the flange nor the shoulder that the BMW fasteners have. Link follows -
    https://www.albanycountyfasteners.co...p/1099-008.htm

  10. #10
    K75 Preservationist k75s's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Far East Kansas
    Posts
    473

    Wethead bodywork Fasteners and washers

    Thank you for the metallurgical description of these fasteners, the photos, and the explanations.

    I have not had one come loose yet on my 2014 GSA, but I tend to lose one every so often in the garage. I am Ok with the BMW cost of these fasteners, they seem like high quality. Now the cost of some other BMW parts, that is worth complaining about.
    2014 R1200 GSA (Property taxes & registration: $309), 1992 K75s (Property taxes & registration: $37)

  11. #11
    MOA #24991 Pauls1150's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    south of Los Angeles
    Posts
    2,406
    Yeah, three bucks is high for a single screw or nut... but if you buy an "equivalent" from McMaster-Carr, Granger, ASM, etc., those probably won't have an anti-corrosion finish, and if they're a different material, you may encounter future issues with oxidation (due to electrolysis) at the interface of the screw and nut.
    Grrr...

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Southeastern VA
    Posts
    134
    Quote Originally Posted by Pauls1150 View Post
    Yeah, three bucks is high for a single screw or nut... but if you buy an "equivalent" from McMaster-Carr, Granger, ASM, etc., those probably won't have an anti-corrosion finish, and if they're a different material, you may encounter future issues with oxidation (due to electrolysis) at the interface of the screw and nut.
    Grrr...
    Unfortunately my local BMW dealer marks them up much higher than that...


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  13. #13
    McMaster-Carr has stainless metric screws with shoulders -
    https://www.mcmaster.com/#shoulder-screws/=1dnnj48

    Various flanged screws are also available from McMaster Carr
    https://www.mcmaster.com/#flange-head-screws/=1dnnksw
    https://www.mcmaster.com/#flange-head-screws/=1dnnliy
    https://www.mcmaster.com/#flange-head-screws/=1dnnlq6

    I did not see flanged screws with a shoulder. I suppose one could obtain or make some small bushings that would act as an effective shoulder. Even if one were using some aluminum tubing of appropriate ID and OD, there would be some effort to cut the tubing to the correct length with the faces perpendicular to be the wall.
    Last edited by robsryder; 07-11-2018 at 12:58 AM. Reason: Hard to type on iPad

  14. #14
    Registered User totgas's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Brisbane / Australia
    Posts
    26
    Good information - thanks.
    However I find the BMW washers, as you mention easy to loose and easy to damage. I purchased a pack of 100 replacement nylon washers from China for $5.
    Much better and a lot less mucking around.
    A.

    Example


    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/M3-M3-5-...r=431717389234

  15. #15
    If one has the impression that there is a lot of bodywork on the RTW to remove for various services, here is a video clip that can show a further extreme -



    I suppose that cost is relative. Article below indicates that this car goes for $1.5 M!

    https://www.edmunds.com/bugatti/veyron-164/

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-04-2016, 12:48 AM
  2. XR Bodywork Removal
    By bmwroadsterca in forum S1000 - The Hothead
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-28-2015, 07:30 PM
  3. Wethead Bodywork and Air Filter Video!
    By jimvonbaden in forum Wetheads
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-09-2015, 06:49 PM
  4. Bodywork on the '09 RT
    By tf78933 in forum Hexheads/Camheads
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-05-2012, 03:47 PM
  5. K100RS bodywork interchangability
    By CTab in forum Flying Brick K-bikes
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-29-2003, 09:06 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •