Thread: Question for anyone who's taken the Off-Road Training

Question for anyone who's taken the Off-Road Training

This is my first MOA rally, and among other things I signed up for the Thursday afternoon off-road training course. Now starting to have some second thoughts, from the health standpoint. I've picked up a few injuries in the last 64 years, including a collapsed and calcified spinal disc (featuring a bit of stenosis), a torn and repaired rotator cuff that still aches a bit, a crunched sciatic nerve that renders one foot partially numb, and most recently a contusion (bone bruise) of the a hip joint that's been troublesome for the last couple years. Wondering if the off-road training runs any significant risk of making these things worse. Can't find any contact information for the trainers (all the emails are "no-reply") and suspect all they would say for liability reasons is "check with your doctor and use your best judgment." So I thought I'd ask for opinions from anybody who's taken this training (or something like it) in the past... if you were in my situation, what would you do?

Registered User RIDERR1150GSADV's Avatar
    You have the final say in wether to do a skill or not. No instructor worth his salt will force you to do something that you have no confidence in doing.
    Enjoy the course, as you will pick up a few skills that will help you on the road too..
    MOA # 108516
    Current ride 2017 R1200RT White
    Past rides '04 R1150RT, '05 K1200LT, '06 R1150GSA

Just to close out the story... I decided yeah, suck it up and go. Hit the road at 5:30 in the morning, burned interstate to Des Moines, arrived just in time for it to get stinkin' hot. Hip started acting up, but some stretches and a prescription-size ibuprofen calmed it down.

I made it through the first two and a half hours of the training before brain and body disconnected and I had to sit out the rest. A black Aerostich Roadcrafter is not the best attire for slow-speed maneuvers in blazing sun and 110 heat index, no matter how much water you drink (I estimate I took in at least two gallons before and during the class). I was not the only one who had to drop out because of the heat. Even though I was too exhausted to actually do the last part, I at least learned some principles from watching the others.

Only fell down twice, once in a stationary exercise where the bike wasn't even running. That was a bit embarrassing. The second time was in a stretch of soft rutted stuff, and I was not the only one to kiss the dirt there, so I'm not as embarrassed. I now have a six-inch purple bruise and a half-inch-high lump on my leg, and quadriceps that may never forgive me, so I guess it was a successful training...

Don't know where I'll ever use this, but it was still neat to see what an old man like me can do with this big honkin' motorcycle. Glad I ended up going. If the opportunity presents itself, I wouldn't mind going back (in cooler weather!) to do the part I had to sit out.

Registered User RIDERR1150GSADV's Avatar
    Glad you enjoyed most of the course! The heat does suck out the energy and can course serious issues.
    Work on those quads by taking up cycling and weight lifting. You’ll be amazed how much that helps
    MOA # 108516
    Current ride 2017 R1200RT White
    Past rides '04 R1150RT, '05 K1200LT, '06 R1150GSA