• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

HELP: what's the best type of paint-protection film for a new motorcycle?

Moe13

:wave Just picked up a brand new R1200RT… my very first BMW motorcycle, so excited! :brad

Does anyone have any recommendation for the best type of paint-protection film for a new motorcycle?

Moe -

There's a thread in the Similar Threads pane below that has a few thoughts.

Your local signwriter, or anyone who does automotive "wraps" should be able to help. I had my pannier tops covered with "Signwriters Clear" by a signwriter.

I've got over 33K miles now and nary a mark anywhere on the bike so I don't see the need but what you should do if you haven't already is get a good headlight protector as that part is over $1100 to replace and is very sensitive to pitting and it really shows especially when the headlights are on. Mine was so bad at 10K miles when I finally realized I should have installed a protective cover that I never did, not knowing the above in time, so now I'm stuck with it. I committed to never letting a foot scuff my side cases so I'm ultra careful when getting off and on the bike when the side cases are on, and it's not hard at all, but I have to always make sure I do it right as it's easy to get careless with that.

Lamin-X

I've always used the pre-cut Lamin-X kits on my bikes and have always turned out wonderful. A good afternoon worth of work.

Tankslapper

I'm in the middle of applying the tank slapper to my 15 RT. Not hard but tedious.

Hello

I looked at the pre-cut film from tankslappers for my S1000rr and looked at a few pictures post installation. It looks like the pre-cut film leaves a 1/8 inch edge around the area being protected.

Have you found this to be the case? If so, can the edge be noticed in the sun?

Akio

:wave Just picked up a brand new R1200RT… my very first BMW motorcycle, so excited! :brad

Does anyone have any recommendation for the best type of paint-protection film for a new motorcycle?

Congratulations on the new bike. I bought my '18 new and love it.

And if nobody has already said it, welcome to the forum!

As for the film, save your money. You don't need it. Spend it on a good horn, some extra motor oil, coolant fluid, tank bag, battery charger, etc. - something of real benefit.

E.

Last edited:
This thread reminds me of growing up with a father that always installed those clear, plastic seat covers when he bought a new car. Five years and 100,000 miles later, he traded in a car that looked like it had that kind of mileage. Of course, every summer growing up in the hot, humid Midwest my brother, sister and I had to use a spatula to get our sweaty butts off that miserably hot seat..but, by golly, the next owner did get some spanking new looking seats in his 100,000 mile clunker. :)

This thread reminds me of growing up with a father that always installed those clear, plastic seat covers when he bought a new car. Five years and 100,000 miles later, he traded in a car that looked like it had that kind of mileage. Of course, every summer growing up in the hot, humid Midwest my brother, sister and I had to use a spatula to get our sweaty butts off that miserably hot seat..but, by golly, the next owner did get some spanking new looking seats in his 100,000 mile clunker. :)

Back when he bought new cars, my Dad made the trip to Monkey Wards for the "Deluxe" woven plastic seat covers. A step, or two, up from the clear plastic jobs, with a texture and feel that reminded you of folding lawn chair webbing. But, as you say, in 5 years, when the rust holes had rendered the car at "the kids can drive it" status, that well protected upholstery was pretty spiffy.

In any event, having that in my "training", I find that I'm absolutely traumatized following each vehicle purchase until I get some form of seat cover installed. Remember sheepskins? I've installed the same set in 4 different cars going back to 1997. Hopefully, some subsequent owner of those vehicles appreciated my OCD tendencies.

Thus, due to people like me, as sad as we may be, Bagster will always have a market for tank covers:):)

Personally I don't think I'd ever bother with all over paint protection. Rub points for straps etc yes but nothing else. Let the damned thing show it's life.

Back