• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Maintenance Costs

MrZip

Just wondering if there is any difference in maintenance costs between the GS/A & the RT ? I have heard there is a big difference in costs between GS/RT and the K1600 models.

The first difference is the labor to remove (and reinstall) the tupperware for any service.
Check the plugs on a K16? Major surgery.

Just wondering if there is any difference in maintenance costs between the GS/A & the RT ? I have heard there is a big difference in costs between GS/RT and the K1600 models.

I just traded in my 14RTLC with 107,416 miles on it and if I divide the total cost of scheduled maintenance to include new tires every 10,000 miles it came out to roughly $.091/2 per mile. No doubt the cost of maintenance will be less for a GS I'm just not sure how much cheaper since I've never owned one.

Maintenance costs can be greatly reduced by doing most of the work yourself.
Plenty of peeps organize tech days so you should attend a few to gain at least some basic knowledge about you bike. I find it pretty satisfying to do almost all of the work required on my bike.. YMMV

The first difference is the labor to remove (and reinstall) the tupperware for any service.
Check the plugs on a K16? Major surgery.
One of the reasons I got an R this time, instead of an RT was the 18 screws (each side? I don't remember) it took to pull the tupperware before doing anything.

The other reason was the weight. Lighter is better at this point in my life. I have done mostly long road trips on the bike and am fine without the wind protection.

The most expensive will be the K1600 because it time consuming to get to the 6 plugs and 24 valves.
Next is the RT because of tupperware removal, but at least the heads are easy to get at.
Cheapest is the GS. A minimal amount of tupperware is removed to get at the air cleaner.

The most expensive will be the K1600 because it time consuming to get to the 6 plugs and 24 valves.
Next is the RT because of tupperware removal, but at least the heads are easy to get at.
Cheapest is the GS. A minimal amount of tupperware is removed to get at the air cleaner.

Agree!
The one thing I must add is that the 12K interval for the air filter on the RT is way too soon. Unless you live in a really dusty environment, 24K is soon enough IMHO. I replaced the filter in my RT at 12 K and it was totally unnecessary to go through that motion. I won't do it again as it is a waste of time and money. YMMV

"Time consuming" on the K1600 includes drain and remove the radiator, then reinstall, refill, and burp it. None of that on a wethead boxer. Someone else can address whether the tank has to come off to adjust valve clearances. The good news is that the clearances rarely need adjustment. My wethead has 93,000 miles and has never needed adjustment.

Tupperware removal on my RT LC seems easier than on my K1300GT with more screws and more variations in length, maybe easier than my '05 RT. I think an experienced wrench could have the panels off and on in 30-40 minutes. I'm curious as to the shop rate for the procedure. Can't see it taking an hour, even if it takes me that long.

Often the reinstall can take longer than the removal. Well, for me at least :)

I can't imagine it would take an experienced tech more than a couple of minutes to remove the tupperware on an RT. Except of course, everything that's removed to get to the air cleaner.

Tupperware removal on my RT LC seems easier than on my K1300GT with more screws and more variations in length, maybe easier than my '05 RT. I think an experienced wrench could have the panels off and on in 30-40 minutes.
It takes me about 5 minutes per side to remove the tupperware on my K1300GT.

My 18K service, that I performed on my own still cost me $330 in parts - K1600GT.

I loved my KGT but the maintenance costs including frequent tire changes are much more than the R bikes.

18k service R1200RS

Was unpleasantly surprised that the 18k service was more expensive than the 12k service. Mostly due to fork oil change I suppose. One more advantage the telelever had.

I own both a RT and GSA and have for years. For the most part the maintenance cost is very close. I do my own oil and other fluids and let the dealer do the rest. That being said there is a BIG difference in maintenance for the K1600 VS the RT or GS. My dealer suggested about 30% at least more for the K1600 service costs.

Back