Thread: Saddle bag latch stuck! won't open!

Saddle bag latch stuck! won't open!

Latch on my hard saddle has gotten progressively sticky. Now I can't even open them. Any insight? If I can't open them to pack then I won't be able to attend the National! Help!!!!
    THey are on an R1200R, after market? Krause or BMW. Not sure. Name:  Saddle BagsSmall.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  41.7 KB
    Last edited by Malaszka; 07-07-2018 at 03:30 PM. Reason: Additional information
    Life beats down and crushes the soul and art reminds you that you have one.

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Which bike/bags?
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Looks like stock BMW bags for her R1200...
    Maybe some clues in the "Similar Threads" just below this window?

Does the release lever not pop up when you push the lock cylinder down or do the bags just not open when you pull up the lever. I had trouble with mine sealing shut with air pressure changes. I would release the latches then have to forcibly pry the lid open due to the internal suction. I finally drilled a tiny air bleed hole into the inner shells much like the air vent on the GS Adventure cases.
    Ed Miller, Calgary, AB
    2008 K1200GT, 2009 F800GS
    I can't wait to retire and have a fixed income. The one I have now is always broke.

One of my bags can be tough to open and I find that putting bit of pressure against it as I try to open it helps. When mounted on the bike I just lean into the bag a bit. I really should disassemble the bag before it decides it won't open
    2005 R1200RT
    Brian

The mechanism is in an unsealed area between the inner and outer case, so the lubricating grease collects dust and grit. That is probably the trouble here, as you mentioned the latches have gotten progressively harder to work. There are good pictures of the mechanism in this post about case dis-assembly: http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthread...&Number=234828.

This picture in particular shows the latching straps, two lengths of flexible stainless steel with latching posts. These slide when the lever is lifted so that the hooks on the lid are released. Because these slide around the corners of the case, there is a lot of friction when the grease gets embedded with dirt.
    Name:  84377645.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  59.5 KB

I'd suggest carefully maintaining pressure on the lever while tapping the black part of the case with the heel of your hand, the idea being that the vibrations will help the latching straps break free and release. I think you will feel the lever slowly move further as you tap until the latches release. I emphasize "carefully" because you can break the plastic lever with too much pressure.

A thorough cleaning and re-greasing with silicone or white lithium grease will restore the one-finger operation the mechanism had when new. The mechanism is complex and prone to unexpected self-disassembly once the inner case is removed - work cautiously, remember that the other case can serve as an example for re-assembly. I found it helpful to draw a case shape on a piece of cardboard, then poke holes in the cardboard to hold each screw in the correct location.
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by lkraus View Post

A thorough cleaning and re-greasing with silicone or white lithium grease will restore the one-finger operation the mechanism had when new.
    I was taught to use powdered graphite on locks rather than grease or WD-40. The graphite does not cause dust to stick.
    Will
    MOA #2607 - 2015 R1200R Cordoba Blue
    Previous: 1999 R1100RT Tundra Green • 1987 R100RT Grey • 1970 R60/5 Black • 196? Honda 305 Super Hawk • 195? Sears Allstate 50 cc Moped

Yes, I use graphite in the lock cylinder also, but BMW originally lubricated the latch mechanism with what looks like white lithium grease. My latches were just starting to get a little stiff after twelve years/42000 miles. Good enough for me, especially since I'm not sure how well graphite would stay in place on all the plastic and stainless steel parts that have to slide and pivot. It's a pretty complex mechanism, designed by Rube Goldberg, I think.
    Name:  84377661.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  98.0 KB

"Before" pic of the bag release (upside down), showing original grease and sand in the works:
    Name:  Pannier Mechanism_08.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  103.8 KB
    Last edited by lkraus; 07-08-2018 at 04:45 PM.
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT

I looked it up!

in·san·i·ty

inˈsanədē/
    noun
    noun: insanity
    the state of being seriously mentally ill; madness.
    synonyms: mental illness, madness, dementia, lunacy, instability, mania, psychosis, extreme foolishness or irrationality, folly, foolishness, madness, idiocy, stupidity, lunacy, silliness; informal; craziness

This picture was under it.

"It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden
    Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner
    1963 Dnepr

Registered User RIDERR1150GSADV's Avatar
    Why use 20 parts if you can use 85 to do the same?
    MOA # 108516
    Current ride 2018 R1200 GSA Triple Black
    Past rides '04 R1150RT, '05 K1200LT, '06 R1150GSA, ‘17 R1200RT

Thanks for all of the advise!

I oiled the mechanisms last night and now one will allow the black lever up but still no release. The other won't respond at all. I'm afraid that I heard a kind of something letting go the last time I tried opening it.
    I don't want to pry anything but I'm not sure what my options are. Boo hoo!
    Dealer, here I come!
    Life beats down and crushes the soul and art reminds you that you have one.