• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Saddle bag latch stuck! won't open!

Malaszka

Latch on my hard saddle has gotten progressively sticky. Now I can't even open them. Any insight? If I can't open them to pack then I won't be able to attend the National! Help!!!!
THey are on an R1200R, after market? Krause or BMW. Not sure. Saddle BagsSmall.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like stock BMW bags for her R1200...
Maybe some clues in the "Similar Threads" just below this window?

Does the release lever not pop up when you push the lock cylinder down or do the bags just not open when you pull up the lever. I had trouble with mine sealing shut with air pressure changes. I would release the latches then have to forcibly pry the lid open due to the internal suction. I finally drilled a tiny air bleed hole into the inner shells much like the air vent on the GS Adventure cases.

One of my bags can be tough to open and I find that putting bit of pressure against it as I try to open it helps. When mounted on the bike I just lean into the bag a bit. I really should disassemble the bag before it decides it won't open :idea

The mechanism is in an unsealed area between the inner and outer case, so the lubricating grease collects dust and grit. That is probably the trouble here, as you mentioned the latches have gotten progressively harder to work. There are good pictures of the mechanism in this post about case dis-assembly: http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=234828.

This picture in particular shows the latching straps, two lengths of flexible stainless steel with latching posts. These slide when the lever is lifted so that the hooks on the lid are released. Because these slide around the corners of the case, there is a lot of friction when the grease gets embedded with dirt.
84377645.jpg

I'd suggest carefully maintaining pressure on the lever while tapping the black part of the case with the heel of your hand, the idea being that the vibrations will help the latching straps break free and release. I think you will feel the lever slowly move further as you tap until the latches release. I emphasize "carefully" because you can break the plastic lever with too much pressure.

A thorough cleaning and re-greasing with silicone or white lithium grease will restore the one-finger operation the mechanism had when new. The mechanism is complex and prone to unexpected self-disassembly once the inner case is removed - work cautiously, remember that the other case can serve as an example for re-assembly. I found it helpful to draw a case shape on a piece of cardboard, then poke holes in the cardboard to hold each screw in the correct location.

A thorough cleaning and re-greasing with silicone or white lithium grease will restore the one-finger operation the mechanism had when new.
I was taught to use powdered graphite on locks rather than grease or WD-40. The graphite does not cause dust to stick.

Yes, I use graphite in the lock cylinder also, but BMW originally lubricated the latch mechanism with what looks like white lithium grease. My latches were just starting to get a little stiff after twelve years/42000 miles. Good enough for me, especially since I'm not sure how well graphite would stay in place on all the plastic and stainless steel parts that have to slide and pivot. It's a pretty complex mechanism, designed by Rube Goldberg, I think.
84377661.jpg

"Before" pic of the bag release (upside down), showing original grease and sand in the works:
Pannier Mechanism_08.jpg

Last edited:
I looked it up!

in·san·i·ty

inˈsanədē/
noun
noun: insanity
the state of being seriously mentally ill; madness.
synonyms: mental illness, madness, dementia, lunacy, instability, mania, psychosis, extreme foolishness or irrationality, folly, foolishness, madness, idiocy, stupidity, lunacy, silliness; informal; craziness

This picture was under it.

attachment.php

Thanks for all of the advise!

I oiled the mechanisms last night and now one will allow the black lever up but still no release. The other won't respond at all. I'm afraid that I heard a kind of something letting go the last time I tried opening it.
I don't want to pry anything but I'm not sure what my options are. Boo hoo!
Dealer, here I come!

Back