Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Hit 3 times by other Bikers

P Monk

hit from behind

Happened to me once. By someone I have known my entire life. To be fair, he hadn't been riding all that long when it happened. It was an intersection with a turning lane but no run out lane. I stopped because my head doesn't swivel so good anymore. I am sure he was looking at the traffic in the lane we were merging into and didn't see me stop. He was not on a BMW and his brakes were not as good. We have ridden many miles since with no problems. He knows how I approach an intersection now and we are both more aware how the other rides. I will always ride behind someone I do not know well.
    P. Monk
    74 R90/6 (the Black Hole) Harvey couldn't kill it. . 09 R1200 GS, drowned in Harvey replaced by 2011 R1200RT. Wife, 1953 model survived aplastic anemia and a bone marrow transplant.

And I did it once. So even we critics are not imume. Out of gas station up a gravel hill to the highway. Voni looks and stops for oncoming traffic. Paul looks and fails to stop. Bent Krauser bag. Fixed. On we went.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

I won't ride 'in formation' ever. Whenever I see 4 or 5+ people riding all in relative close proximity to each other all I can see is a mishap waiting to happen. It's very common here amongst the chopper/ape-hanger crowd who while riding staggered they often literally share a single lane by being significantly overlapped with each other. Nuts. In a recent study of rear end collisions involving motorcycle v other vehicle it turns out the motorcyclist runs into what's in front of them twice as often as the motorcyclist is rear-ended by another vehicle. That can only come from following too close and then not looking at what's in front of you while still moving forward. The closer you are to anything in front of you the more critical it becomes to not take your eyes away from what's in front of you even for a fraction of a second. The two most useful tips for me for survival out there are keeping my gaze out far enough so I have more time to react, and literally staying as far from all other traffic (including other riders if you're in a group) as possible no matter where I am and no matter what kind of road I'm on. When I pass cars/trucks I will get completely across the oncoming lane up near the far left side white line and ride so that I have maximum space between me and the vehicle I'm passing, and pass quickly. In undivided 2 lanes roads I'll be on the right 3rd of my lane when oncoming traffic appears. You never know when that car/truck/bike will have a stroke and veer off into your lane so at least I will have a fraction of a second more to work with. Round-abouts are particularly risk prone because people are timing their merge and so will take their eyes off what's in front of them while doing that. This happened to me where I needed to slow to time my merge and the car behind me wasn't stopped so I laid on my loud tri-horn and fortunately it woke up the driver in time and he stopped, or so that's what appeared to have happened thankfully.

When I ride with another person I tell him that if it matters which part of the lane I am in then he is too close. Think of me as a semi; I am entitled to the entire lane and I use it. Most of my riding is with Annie and it is not uncommon for us to be 1/4 mile apart. The wisdom of maintaining a safe distance was demonstrated two years ago when Annie was behind me when I hit a deer in Idaho and half of the animal was left in the lane.

A few years ago there was an accident in the Anchorage area that showed the danger of close formation riding. Two middle age couples riding four bikes in close formation. A car is in the opposing lane prepared to make a left turn. The driver sees the bikes and waits, however, the turning car is rear-ended and pushed rapidly in front of the bikes. All four riders hit the car; three deceased one badly injured. I can understand how rider one could not avoid the impact, but the impact of 2,3 & 4 could have been avoided with better riding practices.
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    When I ride with another person I tell him that if it matters which part of the lane I am in then he is too close. Think of me as a semi; I am entitled to the entire lane and I use it. Most of my riding is with Annie and it is not uncommon for us to be 1/4 mile apart. The wisdom of maintaining a safe distance was demonstrated two years ago when Annie was behind me when I hit a deer in Idaho and half of the animal was left in the lane.

A few years ago there was an accident in the Anchorage area that showed the danger of close formation riding. Two middle age couples riding four bikes in close formation. A car is in the opposing lane prepared to make a left turn. The driver sees the bikes and waits, however, the turning car is rear-ended and pushed rapidly in front of the bikes. All four riders hit the car; three deceased one badly injured. I can understand how rider one could not avoid the impact, but the impact of 2,3 & 4 could have been avoided with better riding practices.
    Very well said, all of it. I'm not sure where it came from but close formation riding adds considerable risk while offering precious little in return save cutting down the odds of getting separated from your group. With your up to 1/4 mile separation are you using intercoms?

One more point about that: The driver of the car waiting to turn "should have" kept his wheels straight ahead, not toward his left turn.
    From the CA DMV Driver Handbook, page 35: While waiting to turn left, keep your wheels pointed straight ahead until it is safe to start your turn. If your wheels are pointed to the left, and a vehicle hits you from behind, you could be pushed into oncoming traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by ncpbmw1953 View Post
    Very well said, all of it. I'm not sure where it came from but close formation riding adds considerable risk while offering precious little in return save cutting down the odds of getting separated from your group. With your up to 1/4 mile separation are you using intercoms?
    Yes.
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

Registered User RIDERR1150GSADV's Avatar
    I either ride solo or I only ride with my brother and while we ride in a semi staggered “formation “ we leave enough room between us to be able to move side to side in the lane. We also use intercoms to inform each other of our intentions and warnings for the errant cagers and other road debris...
    I also prefer to ride solo over riding with other riders I don’t know. I tell them; “we’ll meet up at the destination, ride safe”

In the past I did ride with others and somehow I had to break out my first aid kit twice on these group rides, going off road of all things. So after the second event I was done for good with groups. YMMV
    MOA # 108516
    Current ride 2017 R1200RT White
    Past rides '04 R1150RT, '05 K1200LT, '06 R1150GSA

The people who scare me the most on the road, are the other motorcyclists. In our area, we get riders who come out when the weather is sunny and warm. Most of them have had their bikes parked for 8 or 9 months. Their experience level is zilch.

Chris
    Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT
    IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder
    John 14:6

P Monk

on the other hand

When riding with another person I do not like to be tail gated. But the other thing that causes a problem is when you are being followed by someone who lags too far behind. You end up taking your eyes off the road ahead to see if the other rider is still behind you too much. The rear rider needs to learn where he or she should be so all it takes is a quick glance in the mirror to see they are still there.
    P. Monk
    74 R90/6 (the Black Hole) Harvey couldn't kill it. . 09 R1200 GS, drowned in Harvey replaced by 2011 R1200RT. Wife, 1953 model survived aplastic anemia and a bone marrow transplant.

100,000 miles no accident. Until an out of control KTM slammed into me off road when his side trail entered the dirt road I was on. I would say the odds were like being hit by lightening but it was mostly target fixation plain and simple. Anyway, as much as I mutter and curse and cages, never thought a fellow rider would take me out so hard.

Me Too

Quote Originally Posted by Lynlee View Post
    100,000 miles no accident. Until an out of control KTM slammed into me off road when his side trail entered the dirt road I was on. I would say the odds were like being hit by lightening but it was mostly target fixation plain and simple. Anyway, as much as I mutter and curse and cages, never thought a fellow rider would take me out so hard.
    Two weeks ago out checking my ORV trail, that I maintain for a not for profit bike club , on my x Challenge, I get hit head on by a 300 Husky that thinks he is Jason Anderson. Both of us kinda locked together with our bikes on the ground. I fortunately have my two piece Stich on and come out only with a bent rim and broken plastic. Screamed a little about it being a recreational trail and not a race track. Disappointed in myself that I was not more on-guard. Need to decide if I am going to try and lace up the new rim myself or have the shop do it.

Wayne Koppa
    Grayling, MI
    71,449 Life

Waiting for the big call from the rally on my new bike.