Thread: 1980 r100rt ???

1980 r100rt ???

I'm looking at a rig with a 1980 R100RT tug. Please educate me about this model.

Year-wise, are there any particular issues and weak points with it?

This one looks like it has the "updated" snowflakes mags on it.

"It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden
    Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner
    1963 Dnepr

The '80 models were a sort of transition year between the earlier iron-cylinder /7s and the Nikasil-bore '81-84 twin-shock bikes. CON: It doesn't have the advantages of the better Brembo brakes, Nikasil cylinders, or lightened flywheel/clutch carrier of the later bikes. PRO: It won't have the same pre-mature valve recession problems of the later bikes, either, though it'll have valve issues of the earlier leaded fuel burners. PRO: It was the first year for the flat air filter design, and I don't think it had the problematic supplemental air injection system that added to the valve problems of the subsequent bikes. NEITHER PRO NOR CON: It shares parts with both its predecessors and successor, but it's not a universal-acceptor of either generation's supply chain. When the iron bores wear out, you'll want an appropriate Siebenrock kit. It'll have whatever issues are common to bikes that weren't designed for sidecar use being adapted to same. I'd expect higher than typical clutch, transmission, and final drive wear from pulling the chair. I don't know which compression ratio the '80 bikes had; it may need either decompression or dual-plugging to handle contemporary fuels, if the PO hasn't already addressed this. They didn't come in white; someone spent some real money painting the bodywork of both the bike and the chair, but let the pin-striper "customize" it.

^^ Good summary above. I've never ridden a bike/sidecar...but I've heard that having the heavy flywheel helps with maintaining the steadiness of the drive...guess it's the inertia that's built up. Of course, it takes something to build that up. Can't say if the configuration of the bike will be conducive to a sidecar, ie, transmission and final drive gear ratios.
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Look for a substantial sub-frame, lower gear ratio on rear drive, sturdy fork brace and attached (and working) sidecar brake. This year had a cast aluminum airbox top that should have been changed out for a plastic part. Reason: They changed the air filter making the cast top fit poorly with air gaps even after modification. There is a rudimentary exhaust gas recirc. system on the US models. California wants it to still be there although you can plug it internally.
    Boxerbruce

Also you might want to change the lower front fairing piece to a newer louvered style. The closed style that you have is known for allowing heat to build up under the point cover and sometimes melt the solder connections on the diode boards.
    Boxerbruce

The '80 models were a sort of transition year between the earlier iron-cylinder /7s and the Nikasil-bore '81-84 twin-shock bikes.

CON: It doesn't have the advantages of the better Brembo brakes, Nikasil cylinders, or lightened flywheel/clutch carrier of the later bikes. ("heavy" flywheel is good, in this case)
    PRO: It won't have the same pre-mature valve recession problems of the later bikes, either, though it'll have valve issues of the earlier leaded fuel burners.
    PRO: It was the first year for the flat air filter design, and I don't think it had the problematic supplemental air injection system that added to the valve problems of the subsequent bikes.

NEITHER PRO NOR CON: It shares parts with both its predecessors and successor, but it's not a universal-acceptor of either generation's supply chain. When the iron bores wear out, you'll want an appropriate Siebenrock kit.
    It'll have whatever issues are common to bikes that weren't designed for sidecar use being adapted to same
    I'd expect higher than typical clutch, transmission, and final drive wear from pulling the chair. (easily changed)
    I don't know which compression ratio the '80 bikes had; it may need either decompression or dual-plugging to handle contemporary fuels, if the PO hasn't already addressed this.
    They didn't come in white; someone spent some real money painting the bodywork of both the bike and the chair, but let the pin-striper "customize" it.
    Sidecars I know. BMW R75/5 I know. Sidecar-fitted BMWs I know. I've just never paid much attention to these "new-fangled" late model airheads... . other than the casual observations about circlips failing, snowflake mags disintegrating, and such.

I've requested more information from the seller; photos of the interface between the sidecar and the bike. Air cleaner. And speedo (for mileage (an issue bringing anything into the Grand Republik of Kalifornia)).

Thanks for the feedback.
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden
    Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner
    1963 Dnepr

John D'oh

The rig looks well constructed.

I'd bet that all the correct conversion parts are there: sidecar sub-frame, final drive ratio, fork stabilization, sidecar brake, suspension upgraded. The non-louvered center fairing engine cover should mean there is an oil cooler which is a plus for sidecar work. In my experience, a outfit like that is a roadworthy highway machine. The original owner might have spent 20K putting it together. A few of the details make me think it's something that Perry in Ft Worth might have built. Good luck!
    John D'oh