• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1996 K1100LT radio

walt3022

My new-to-me 1996 K1100LT has what is probably a serviceable radio, but I don't know the anti-theft code. I believe the code is recoverable with BMW's help, but I'll need a radio chassis number. Therein lies the problem. I don't know how to remove the radio. The on-line manual shows a OEM tool that apparently shipped with the bike. It appears to be two wires whose ends are passed down between the radio and its carrier. However, the illustration is none too clear. Can someone who has this tool describe it in enough detail so I might make a suitable one myself? TIA

Dunno about the K1100s specifically, but with my K100LT, the "special tool" was a U-shaped piece of springy metal, maybe 6 inches long and about 2 inches wide. I couldn't find it on the MAX fiche.
To pull my radio, the tool was inserted into the two little holes on the side of the radio, then pressed (and slightly squeezed? don't remember) to release the clips that hold it down.
Maybe two pieces of coat hangar would work as well?
In the Boise area - Big Twin should be able to help, or maybe save a few bucks and contact Mitch http://www.mitchsmotorcycles.com/

K1100lt radio

Thanks for that info. I'd reviewed the info in the radio manual online (as mentioned above) but thought the wire/tool has some sort of cut away or knob on it's ends. I'll try to make one with just straight ends and see how it works.
I'd previously contacted both Big Twin and BMW customer service, but wasn't able to get very far with that approach. Mitch is WAY beyond my budget.
Sometimes ya just need the versatility of the owner's forum!
I think that the K-bikes are now old enough that service technicians that have experience with them are a little thin on the ground. Old airheads have an amazing support group, but the K-bike owner may face greater challenges.
Thanks again for your response.

That tool was used on many radios that had DIN face plates. Any radio installer could pull that for you easily. Most retailers of after market radios should have that tool available.

Back