• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Highway Pegs?

I can't imagine using them on a LC unless I had usually weirdly shaped legs. There just doesn't seem to be a good way to comfortably put my legs splayed out right behind those huge jugs.

Making more frequent stops seems to make more sense that spending fat cash to be in a rather weird body position. Those things are ridiculously expensive.

I can't imagine using them on a LC unless I had usually weirdly shaped legs.

Well, the OP was asking for a 2007 GS, AFAIK that isn't an LC version.

To answer the OP: If you have crash guards, erp, "engine protection bars" on your GS just google "highway pegs". You can spend from $30 up to $250 for highway pegs that will fit them. IlliumWorks makes a very nice set $$$.

That said I also wonder why bother. If I need to stretch my legs out, what I did on my R1100GS, R1200GS, and R1200R is just plop my legs out on the jugs. The airflow still keeps the cylinders cool and you can stretch the legs a bit.

Ilium

I have the Ilium pegs on my 2012 RT and they help when my crappy knee joints start aching from the limited position choices on a long days ride. On an RT there's a lot of bodywork the GS doesn't have so stretching your legs over the cylinders isn't really possible. They fit into a couple of existing bolt sockets on the frame and are very sturdy. They also offer some cylinder head protection in case of a tip over, which is an added bonus. I actually did experience this and although the peg hardware was dinged up the cylinder head was unscathed.

The only thing I don't like about them is that the factory finish wasn't up to the task. The paint chipped off and started some surface rust, so I refinished and repainted them after 50,000 miles or so. They take a beating from road debris down that low. The swing joint for the peg is also sometimes balky (ball bearing detente on a spring) and when lubed tends to attract dirt which adds to the problem. I fashioned a little plastic cover which helps that some by deflecting some dirt.

Overall I'd give them an A for usability and sturdy construction and a C for paint durability and the peg hinges. If they were chrome plated or had better powder coating that would help, and the peg hinge needs a design that can stand up to the dirt and grime that accompanies that location on the bike.

Oh yeah, one other negative- when changing plugs you have to remove a big bolt to allow access to the screws that hold the plastic cover on the underside of the cylinder. Not a biggie but an inconvenience all the same.

I'd attach a picture but this &^%$#@! forum keeps rejecting my upload. https://1drv.ms/u/s!Aob87VKFm9VMgbw8Yv9DYms1Bw3tGQ

Mick-o-pegs

Take a look at the Mick-o-pegs. These mount to the valve cover bolts and have pegs that fold down under the cylinders. Kind of like stirups on a saddle. They fold up when not in use. Had them on an LT and RT. The great thing is they let you straighten your knees out without lifting them so high in the air.

Last edited:
I just ordered a set of the Illium pegs from Bob's BMW with a 15% discount deal they had going. Not sure if it's still in effect, but it was a nice way to get some good pegs and save a few $$$.

Picture upload

Bill, what procedure do you use to upload the pictures? Generally there have been few problems with uploading...the tools are there to get it done. There is a practice area at the end of this thread:

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?2021-How-do-I-post-a-picture

I tried the "insert an image" and then tried a local upload from my PC and got this:

Capture.JPG

Then I tried the "from URL" option and also got rejected:

Capture2.JPG

Neither error gives you any information as to why it didn't work. The file is 3MB, maybe that is too large.

I've got a set of Ilium highway pegs off my CamHead that I'm not using if anyone needs a set.
Edit: THESE HAVE BEEN SOLD.

Last edited:
Back