• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1977 R100RS Sidestand

Darryl Cainey

Sir Darby
My sidestand pivot pin is worn out and needs to be replaced along with the sidestand itself. I can find the sidestand part number on several sites but not the pivot pin. Any one have the pin number?

I know I will have grind the weld on the pin where it goes into the frame and push it out and then put the new one in and have it rewelded in place.
Any worries about rewelding the pin to frame and grounding with the electronics?

Thanks in Advance!!
Darryl

Sorry, I don't know the part number, but the first thing that I did to my airhead is remove the stock suicide sidestand. I think the whole thing is a design flaw in my opinion. I would mount a Brown sidestand instead. They are still available new and can be found on ebay and Salvage yards from time to time. Food for thought.... :eat

Darryl said:
My sidestand pivot pin is worn out and needs to be replaced along with the sidestand itself. I can find the sidestand part number on several sites but not the pivot pin. Any one have the pin number?

I know I will have grind the weld on the pin where it goes into the frame and push it out and then put the new one in and have it rewelded in place.
Any worries about rewelding the pin to frame and grounding with the electronics?

Thanks in Advance!!
Darryl

You would like the "Brown" sidestand. Keep in mind that you have to keep it in mind though...so you don't ride off with it down. But it is right under your foot so that reminds you. It's not so far forward like the stock one which is hidden under the left cylinder.
The part # is the whole frame. The pin is welded in the frame and comes with it. You really just have to make a new pin I guess to use the stock stand. And, there is a grease fitting on the stand, or should be, to keep the wear to a minimum.

clevispin

Parts list shows the original pin welded into the frame and not a seperate piece. They do show an oversive pin on page 46/2 of parts book. part #46 51 1 231 233. I did that change out on my 74 R90 16 years ago. Might be a good time to put a new stock sidestand on too. I think the 77 RS is a special bike. I hope to own one someday.

I'm incredulous that anyone would wish to retain (let alone repair) the stock sidestand, which is one of the prime indications that BMW engineers have the same human flaws as engineers from other races.

Yes, replace the "stupid" stock sidestand with a Brown (or one of the others that attach to the rear engine mounting studs. Repositioning the sidestand to the footpeg location has numerous benefits, from being able to reach it with your boot--to supporting the bike with a load strapped on the back. In your case, you don't have to screw around with the pivot pin.

I would suggest you check the length of the rear engine stud. You may need to find a longer one to provide full threads on the nuts with the sidestand bracket in place.. (check both the BMW parts bins and Japanese parts for one with the same diameter, threads, but slightly longer.)

pmdave

RS sidestand

I've had the stock sidestand on my '82 RS for 15 years and would not replace it with any aftermarket item. It is a slim and elegant unit. And you don't want to change a '77 RS from stock.

Rinty

Thank you for some of the colourful suggestions on replacing the stock BMW sidestand with a Brown's sidestand. I am quite aware of them but I wish to keep my RS sidestand as I have had no problem with the old one except for the wear. In my opimion the BMW engineers had it right from the start by designing it with a automatic return feature that the Brown's dosen't have.
It is a safety feature that I don't want to give up as I have had it on my bike for over 411,000 miles, my luck I would forget to retract the other one and end up in a ditch!

Darryl

rinty said:
I've had the stock sidestand on my '82 RS for 15 years and would not replace it with any aftermarket item. It is a slim and elegant unit. And you don't want to change a '77 RS from stock.

Rinty
You could always do what I did. Mount the Brown sidestand, and leave the stock sidestand in place. If and when you ever sell the bike, remove the Brown, and you've still got the stock.

It took me a little longer than 10 minutes to mount the Brown on my RS. I used a "P" clamp on the frame for the forward bolt, and the engine bolt for the rearward bolt. That's the way the Brown was mounted on my "S", and I thought it was a little more stable.

Make sure you don't kill yourself with one of those things. I'm very happy with my stock sidestand. No big deal once you get used to it.

airhead sidestand

I can understand why most airhead owners don't like the stock sidestand, as they are a bit tricky to deploy, and they are not particularly stable. I have had a tang welded onto mine and, with my long legs, it is easy to deploy. But I don't trust the things, or even the improved version on my new oiler, and my practise is to use the center stand.

Rinty

Darryl said:
...but I wish to keep my RS sidestand...
Good for you! I wish I could help with the pin issue but I haven't had to repair one yet. I would just order the stand, see what you need to do and then maybe have a machine shop make a pin for you if you can't purchase something suitable. Heck you have a centerstand (right?) so you can be without the sidestand for a few days.

I would pull the battery negative cable and remove the diode board before welding.

AntonLargiader said:
Good for you! I wish I could help with the pin issue but I haven't had to repair one yet. I would just order the stand, see what you need to do and then maybe have a machine shop make a pin for you if you can't purchase something suitable. Heck you have a centerstand (right?) so you can be without the sidestand for a few days.

I looked up the part # 46 51 1 231 233 that barryg found in the parts book and it is listed as "side stand pivot pin" and lists for $13. There are 8 in stock in the country. So your dealer can order this and you can just have it welded in place.

Back