• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New Bike Shopping Questions

r65_steve

Hello. First post here, but must have had an account from long ago.

Anyhow, I had an R65 for about 10 years. Didn't ride it that much because, well, it was finicky. Every outing was a pain...battery was flat, tires needed air, etc. I did enjoy it when I did ride, but never felt it was at the top of my priority list of things to do. (I have a number of toys/interests). Sold it two years ago and missed it immediately (I did have a lot of history with it, took it completely apart and painted it - just didn't Ride it as much), but then life took over and I moved along.

Went on a trip out west and saw everyone on their touring bikes. Got me thinking about a bike again.

In getting back into this, what should I be thinking about? I bought a new copy of Proficient Motorcycling. Planning on taking MSF again (or just the refresher). I'd need new hot weather gear...I gave away my mesh jacket (it was too big actually) to the kid I sold my R65 to. My thought was that with a more modern bike I could ride it more (and I figured out with a dolly I could keep it in the garage on the charger).

I'm going to check out a private seller's 2004 R1150R next weekend (assuming it hasn't sold). Should I even ask for a test ride? I still have the endorsement of course, just not been on a bike for 2 years.

What other advice would you give the returning rider?

Welcome back! Do you happen to remember your username from back then? Maybe it still exists??

As for asking to ride, I'm not sure what I would do if someone asked. If they showed up on a bike, I might give it more thought. Maybe you could ride pillion while he took it out?

I think you have a good game plan. Certainly, take things slow...the Oilhead will have much more power than you might remember...it will also stop better.

As for asking to ride, I'm not sure what I would do if someone asked. If they showed up on a bike, I might give it more thought. Maybe you could ride pillion while he took it out?

I think you have a good game plan. Certainly, take things slow...the Oilhead will have much more power than you might remember...it will also stop better.

Well, the guy lived in a rural area, so after him showing it off a bit, I asked and my request was granted. I bought it and took it for a real ride in my area on roads I know.

It's great. Way way faster than my old R65. Over the backroads speed limits without a second thought. It's so smooth and the brakes are a ton better.

Yes, need to take it slow and get my confidence and skills back. MSF class next week.

(I honestly expected a "help me spend my money" thread would get more traction. :) I guess everyone is out riding.

Back