• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Motorcycle Dolly

I do believe that this link on eBay is to a knockoff of the actual Park-N-Move by the company Legal Speeding. The original Park-n-Move looks like this and has an 1,100 pound weight capacity according to the Legal Speeding web site.

Thanks, Paul. Alas, the knock-offs have better search optimization than Legal Speeding . . .

From the pictures, the dolly on ebay has substantially thinner steel used in it...probably one of the limits for the weight capacity.

Could be, Kurt, but now that I look around a bit at industrial suppliers, the money and load capacity in these widgets seem to be in the casters. The knock-off's thinner stamped steel plate doesn't bend under the weight of the RT, but it looks like one can (and probably has to) spend pretty good money for small-diameter, high-weight-capacity, stem casters.

Stipulate.

Slams me, but not a word of either admission or apology for saying that a top quality product had numerous problems that were due to the purchase and use of a cheap, knockoff product that he mistook for the top quality product.

Let's review, I provided a photograph of the product I was talking about in my first message. One would have to be almost blind not to recognize that the product I suggested was not the same as the one that you were using. Yours was cheaply put together and assembled from sub‒standard parts, yet you somehow missed those facts and based only on the (stolen trademark) name of the product, badmouthed the one that I recommended. As if that wasn't enough, you complained about the quality of your product (attributing them to the top quality product), telling us that "… it wasn’t really very easy to move the bike around once it was on the thing, even on smooth concrete." even though you knew, or should have known, that you had exceeded its recommended maximum weight, probably by 50-75 pounds or more. One should not expect a good outcome if one can't be bothered to follow the recommendations of the manufacturer.

When you fully described your device it was immediately apparent that you had made a gross error in comparing your unit to the device I had recommended. Once you made public the exact device that you were referring to, TWO other members, saw that obviously it was not the same device that I had recommended, but you still weren't sure. I asked how you managed to miss the rather obvious details, but instead of simply admitting your blunder, you took a cheap shot at me.

Thanks, Paul. Alas, the knock-offs have better search optimization than Legal Speeding . . .

Oddly when I searched Google for "park n move" the first FIVE links were to the device I recommended, made by Legal Speeding. The link to your product on Ebay, was SIXTH.

Searching for "motorcycle dolly" brings up the Harbor Freight "channel" device ahead of your device.

Searching for "device for moving a motorcycle" bring up some videos at the top of the search. The first is for the Harbor Freight "channel" device. The SECOND is for the Park‒n‒Move.

But no matter, one should realize that Ebay is full of cheap, poorly made knockoffs and you should have immediately recognized that the photo, supplied in my very first post in the thread, was NOT the same as your product. Instead, you diluted the thread, failed completely to provide useful information to the OP, (except that Ebay is a 'cautionary tale') and badmouthed a top quality product because you didn't do your research.

And finally, you purchased, and put to use, the knock off version of a superior product KNOWING THAT YOUR MOTORCYCLE'S DRY WEIGHT EXCEEDED ITS WEIGHT RECOMMENDATION! Then, you complained in this thread that it didn't move well, "even on smooth concrete." Maybe next time make sure that you're on the right track before posting?

Could be, Kurt, but now that I look around a bit at industrial suppliers, the money and load capacity in these widgets seem to be in the casters.

I doubt that Park‒n‒Move would use the thicker, more expensive, steel that they use for their base if it wasn't at least PART of the reason that they have an 1,100 pound weight rating. I doubt that it's just the casters.

The knock-off's thinner stamped steel plate doesn't bend under the weight of the RT

I'd bet it does bend, or at least flexes. Such flex puts the cheap casters on edge (or at least applies excess pressure to the inner edge of the wheel) so the weight is no longer spread out all the way across the wheel, making it harder to move the bike around. Particularly if, as you have done, the user exceeds the recommended weight capacity.

but it looks like one can (and probably has to) spend pretty good money for small-diameter, high-weight-capacity, stem casters.

That would explain the higher cost of the original Park‒n‒Move over the knockoff, and the reason that it moves across less‒smooth surfaces easily.

The price differential is the key here. You won't get for $72 dollars what you get for $200. Don't expect it. It almost always won't happen.

Whichever one you own, if you are happy with it I'm happy for you.

On a similar note I happen to have and use a Handy Air Lift I bought as part of a group purchase with a dealership and a few others maybe 20 years ago. Today, with its actually usable wheel chock it costs almost three times what the fairly popular Harbor Freight lift costs. Add the side panels so I can ride on and off and the price is even higher. What would I do in today's market? I'm not sure but would probably still buy the lift from Handy Industries because I know it has been totally reliable with no maintenance or repairs for 20 years. YMMV

The price differential is the key here. You won't get for $72 dollars what you get for $200. Don't expect it. It almost always won't happen.

Could not agree more.

Whichever one you own, if you are happy with it I'm happy for you.

I'm very happy with my authentic Park‒n‒Move. One member, who uses the knock off apparently isn't. A couple of others who say that they also have the Park‒n‒Move say that they are not happy with theirs. But it's not clear if they have the authentic model or the knockoff. I've asked, but so far, none have responded.

Saw these mentioned in another thread and they looked interesting.
https://www.dynamotousa.com/

Two sets of wheels, one for the front and one for the back, does look interesting.

Dynamoto-Motorcycle-Stands-dynamoto-Ducati-Panigale-V4_1600x.jpg

Not sure about the real wheel pick-up point. I would like to see one in person.

I still lead towards this design due to its 3-point contact and connected two sets of wheels-

812DIFnnAzL._SX425_.jpg

Although If I was to buy or build one, I would like to see the "carry" wheels a large as possible so the 1/4X20 nut I dropped weeks ago didn't bring everything to a screeching halt :eek

OM

Saw these mentioned in another thread and they looked interesting.
https://www.dynamotousa.com/

A member here reviewed this device about a year ago. He liked it. But there were no comments from other members. This user says that he "was not entirely happy with using the Legal Speeding Park'n Move," but it's possible that he too got the knockoff. He may have been fooled as was one other member in this thread.

One thing he liked was that it "… does not take up space when not in use. Other devices would have required using either the side stand, or the device took up too much space when not in use, or required me to push or ride the R1200RT onto the device." Actually these stands take up more than twice as much space as the Park‒n‒Move to store. The Park‒n‒Move does not require either riding or pushing onto it.

I looked at these before purchasing my Park‒n‒Move. The first objection was the price. The cost of this thing is nearly 3X the cost of the Park‒n‒Move and if one gets a different bike, chances are that a new part, costing $65 may be necessary.

The rear device requires that after you raise the bike on it, you attach another part to keep the bike from rolling off the stand. One member here objects to the extra step that I use to secure the Park‒n‒Move, a ratchet strap, saying that it's a PITA. This is much the same. AND it requires that you put both the front and rear wheel onto separate stands. Would these "extra steps" also be a PITA with this device?

I wondered how well it would hold up after a couple of years of use? The floor/ground is a gritty place and I can't tell if there are any seals to prevent grit from getting into the bearing surfaces. Probably the use of a power washer would drive out any grit that got into them. My Park‒n‒Move has been in use, outside for three years, with the afore mentioned gardeners blowing debris around it once a week, not to mention the regular movement of grit caused by the wind. It's still going strong.

One will need to purchase another device to support the bike if one wants to remove the front wheel. Not necessary with the Park‒n‒Move where either wheel can be removed. It looks as if rear wheel removal can be accomplished with some iterations of the device. With some others, it can't be.

Despite claims to the contrary, I think there will be issues moving the bike on rough surfaces. Based on the size of the wheels it looks as if the device will roll over even sizeable cracks or debris on the ground surface if moving the bike forward. But if moving the bike sideways, the wheels are very small and looks as if they'll get caught in cracks in the cement. I doubt that it would move sideways at all on my paving‒stone‒parking‒pad, where the Park‒n‒Move moves easily. The video shows it easily moving across concrete expansion joints but it only shows the rear sideway wheel which has three rows of wheels. The one supporting the front end only has two rows of wheels. It also only shows them moving across these joints at an angle, rather than straight across them, so I'd guess that care needs to be taken there. HERE'S a link to their video. The video shows it 'hanging up' on a pair of pliers but I doubt that any of these devices would fare any better against such a large obstruction.

There is no shortage of "reviews" on this stand but most of them are either 'puff pieces' or just a notation that they exist.

These stands are very elegant and there's quite a lot to be said for that. But the price and the fact that it does not allow for working on, or removal of the front wheel, are off‒putting for me.

beemerdood…………….you need to spend more time RIDING your bike and less time worrying about how it is parked....or how others park their bike. You're getting way too anal about this. Give it a rest FGS !

Friedle

But I see some juju beans in the other counter! :stick

Maybe the next movie will be about tires, oil, air pressures...:hide

Back