• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

'88 K75C Where does this negative battery cable go?

rall275

Guys, I did a clutch spline lube and other maintenance items on my 88 K75C and I'm reinstalling the battery and I can't find where the large cable on the negative terminal goes. In the photo, the top wire is for my battery tender. The middle sized wire is the ground wire connected to the left side of engine. The larger cable goes leftward from the negative terminal, but I can't figure where it terminates. Any clues? I took copious photos, but not copiously enough apparently.

My positive has a battery tender wire and the cable going to the alternator.

Thanks guys

Attachments

• negative.jpg
    negative.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 111
The yellow highlighted cable

For clarification, I highlighted this unknown cable in yellow.

Attachments

• negativeyellow.jpg
    negativeyellow.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 101
Early Ks (including yours) came with one undersized ground wire that attached to the bolt on the transmission just above the shift lever pivot. When the abs bikes came out and with the proliferation of heated gear, they realized that they needed more capacity, so they just doubled up the ground wires.

Some previous owner has added that larger wire. It should hook to the same place as the other ground wire.

One thing I also like to do, in the name of redundancy and better grounds, is run a #12 wire from the ground bolt on the transmission to the ground bolt on the frame under the gas tank.

:dance:dance:dance

Thanks for your response. Weird thing is I don't remember removing this from the left side ground location. I'm almost wondering if it was not attached but tucked over there since this is the first I've accessed the battery.

Is the wire the same length (within an inch or so) as the one going to the bolt on the transmission? If so, that's even more indication that that is where it originally went.

:dance:dance:dance

I'll check length. And, while at it, I'll look at the bends in the wire to see if that might hold a clue.

Thanks!

Length is almost same, the 2 also have bends nearly identical, so I'm convinced it is an additional ground cable. Normally my memory is solid, maybe I'll have to admit to getting older.

Thanks! The bike project continues

Attachments

• cablessml.jpg
    cablessml.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 58
Back