• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Frustrated

bdfbeemer

RT in NC
My XR has a leak around the oil pan. I made an appt. a week and a half a head of time.They got the bike in confirmed the leak. Said bolts were a one use item and had to order the parts. Due in the next week. That has been 3.5 weeks. They have done a little tear down but have no idea when it will be finished. Am I wrong to find this totally unacceptable? The owner is usually not there. No one to really complain to or get to the bottom of the problem. Thinking about getting the bike and trailering to another dealer. I have had good luck there in the past but since the owner is never there the place is really going downhill. Bike is under warranty so I want BMW to fix it in case there are any other problems.

Don't blame you. Call around for the 13 screws needed...any other dealer have them in inventory? Maybe with gasket (if still needed) and screws in hand, they could button it up in short order. And BMW does have a contractual requirement for principal to be present a percentage of time (use to be majority of time). Once fixed, YES...another more present/reliable dealership seems appropriate.

Totally unacceptable for a bike still under warranty. I would move the bike to another dealer if you can.

Once resolved I plan on sending a complaint to BMWNA. Probably to no avail. However maybe it will have some beneficial outcome if BMW contacts the dealer to find out the issues.

Dear NC in NC,

Does this mean North Carolina. If so then check the lemon law According to the internet over20 days out of service is NEW bike and notify manufacturer in writing, certified letter. Bet BMW raises heck with them after they get the letter.

Rod

Got That T-Shirt!

In 1998, took a brand new GS back to the very well-known DC-area dealership where it was purchased for a warranty repair. I was informed while a simple job, it required a back-ordered fitting. OK. Saw the bike again 12 weeks later. Requests for an explanation and justification were met with shrugged shoulders and borderline indifference. That was 20 yrs ago, so all the players have changed by now, but my efforts then to learn by name/title, who in BMW NA's corporate structure was responsible for monitoring franchise performance were completely ignored. But I do not want to sound cynical. To their great credit, most dealerships are not like this and that incident is the only time I've ever been disappointed. I've nothin' but high-fives for my current dealership.

Last edited:
Dealers have access to parts in other dealer's inventory. The fact they have not attempted to find the bolts elsewhere is a sign they are not trained or knowledgeable enough to run the dealership properly and this is on BMW I would think.

Last edited:
Call BMW Customer Service right now. Be calm but explain the situation. You will be talking to a nice person, probably a lady, who takes information to pass on to decision makers, so be nice. You will hear the click of the keys as she types your comments. Sometimes this works.

Call BMW Customer Service right now. Be calm but explain the situation. You will be talking to a nice person, probably a lady, who takes information to pass on to decision makers, so be nice. You will hear the click of the keys as she types your comments. Sometimes this works.

From BMW Motorrad website:

Call our Customer Service Department at 1-800-831-1117 and follow the automated voice prompts. There is a live representative between the hours of 9:00AM - 9:00PM EST Monday-Thursday, and 9:00AM - 6:00PM EST Fridays. If someone's not there to take your call, you can wait and the automated voice will prompt you to leave a message.

You may also reach our Customer Service Department by sending email to CustomerService@bmwmotorcycles.com.

Not really clear to me that the OP has taken the bike to a BMW dealer. He mentions that he wants BMW to fix the bike under warranty, but doesn't say the bike is at a BMW motorcycle dealership presently. It seems unlikely an official BMW dealer would not have the required bolts in stock, or have access to them overnight through the parts network.

Calling BMW HQ in NJ is unlikely to result in a positive action if the bike is not at an authorized BMW dealership. Just thinking from the other side of the coin...as Paul knows I often do, :wave

Friedle

Seems to me that the bike is at the dealer. The OP mentions "They got the bike in confirmed the leak" and "They have done a little tear down..." and "Thinking about getting the bike and trailering to another dealer."

Kurt, I am not questioning the bike is at "a" dealer. I wonder if it is at a BMW dealer or is it at Billy Bob's tractor, skateboard and motorcycle repair shop? If it is at an authorized BMW dealer, and this is the sort of "service" the OP is experiencing, I would be interested in knowing which dealership it is so I avoid it while travelling.

Friedle

He lives in Greensboro, NC. Carolina BMW is the in-town dealer. You're right, we don't know, but seems like a pretty safe bet IMO.

Kurt, I am not questioning the bike is at "a" dealer. I wonder if it is at a BMW dealer or is it at Billy Bob's tractor, skateboard and motorcycle repair shop? If it is at an authorized BMW dealer, and this is the sort of "service" the OP is experiencing, I would be interested in knowing which dealership it is so I avoid it while travelling.

Friedle

But, Airheads don't require servicing... :stick

Friedle

I'm sorry Friedle, but you're off the "investigative team"! LOL!

My XR has a leak around the oil pan. I made an appt. a week and a half a head of time.They got the bike in confirmed the leak. Said bolts were a one use item and had to order the parts. Due in the next week. That has been 3.5 weeks. They have done a little tear down but have no idea when it will be finished. Am I wrong to find this totally unacceptable? The owner is usually not there. No one to really complain to or get to the bottom of the problem. Thinking about getting the bike and trailering to another dealer. I have had good luck there in the past but since the owner is never there the place is really going downhill. Bike is under warranty so I want BMW to fix it in case there are any other problems.

OP has a '16 BMW under BMW warranty and he calls the dealer...would it be anything but a BMW dealer (because OP wants it fixed by a BMW dealer)? They start the job but need parts...would it be anything but BMW parts (are non BMW dealers now able to order parts from BMW...think that's why you have to be a BMW dealer (and OP wants it fixed by a BMW dealer). OP wants the bike fixed by BMW, under warranty...in case their are any further problems...think he's got it anywhere but a BMW dealer? WHY WOULD HE HAVE IT AT A NON BMW DEALER IF HE NEEDS BMW PARTS, HAS A BMW WARRANTY AND WANTS IT FIXED BY A BMW DEALER???

Think this one has pretty well been ran through the DEDUCTION MACHINE.

. It seems unlikely an official BMW dealer would not have the required bolts in stock, or have access to them overnight through the parts network.

Friedle

Our two "local" dealers live in the on demand parts management system world. Unless it's a common high use part, most often will be ordered, even a Airhead valve cover gasket was not available one trip. The large parts dept of old is gone for many shops.
That comes with overnight option I imagine has me paying overnight charges if I'm the only order or regular weekly order. Have only had to overnight a few parts, but it can be done by any dealer.

I do find a lag time the OP is experiencing is not a good thing and shouldn't be the case for a newer model. On some new models with parts that are model specific, parts take a while to enter the supply chain. I recall when the late Beemerdons wrecked his new to the world K1600, it took a long time to secure a lot of parts.

They got the parts in a few days. Just haven't repaired the bike. And to clear all questions the bike is at the local BMW dealer where I bought the bike.

They got the parts in a few days. Just haven't repaired the bike. And to clear all questions the bike is at the local BMW dealer where I bought the bike.

Whoa, wait a minute. They have the parts and they just won't assign the job to one of their techs? Move that bike to a real dealer and call BMW. This is unbelievable.

BMW MOA has a "Consumer Liaison." Why not get them involved? Go the main website of the MOA and do a search. You'll be presented with an online form to complete. Present occupants of the position are Lee Woodring and Joe Leung.

Back