Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 16 to 30 of 30

Thread: Frustrated

  1. #16
    not so retired henzilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    CENTEX USA
    Posts
    9,534
    Quote Originally Posted by Friedle View Post
    . It seems unlikely an official BMW dealer would not have the required bolts in stock, or have access to them overnight through the parts network.


    Friedle
    Our two "local" dealers live in the on demand parts management system world. Unless it's a common high use part, most often will be ordered, even a Airhead valve cover gasket was not available one trip. The large parts dept of old is gone for many shops.
    That comes with overnight option I imagine has me paying overnight charges if I'm the only order or regular weekly order. Have only had to overnight a few parts, but it can be done by any dealer.

    I do find a lag time the OP is experiencing is not a good thing and shouldn't be the case for a newer model. On some new models with parts that are model specific, parts take a while to enter the supply chain. I recall when the late Beemerdons wrecked his new to the world K1600, it took a long time to secure a lot of parts.
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

  2. #17
    They got the parts in a few days. Just haven't repaired the bike. And to clear all questions the bike is at the local BMW dealer where I bought the bike.
    Buck in Greensboro, NC
    2013 R 1200 RT Midnight Blue - traded, 2014 R 1200 RT Ebony Metallic, 2016 S 1000 XR

  3. #18
    Addicted to curves azgman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    981

    Thumbs down

    Quote Originally Posted by bdfbeemer View Post
    They got the parts in a few days. Just haven't repaired the bike. And to clear all questions the bike is at the local BMW dealer where I bought the bike.
    Whoa, wait a minute. They have the parts and they just won't assign the job to one of their techs? Move that bike to a real dealer and call BMW. This is unbelievable.
    MOA #107139
    RA #28511

  4. #19
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    2,134
    Quote Originally Posted by azgman View Post
    Whoa, wait a minute. They have the parts and they just won't assign the job to one of their techs? Move that bike to a real dealer and call BMW. This is unbelievable.
    +1,000,000,000
    2008 RT
    MOA #46783

  5. #20
    Registered User ExGMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Chestnut Hill, MA
    Posts
    1,382
    BMW MOA has a "Consumer Liaison." Why not get them involved? Go the main website of the MOA and do a search. You'll be presented with an online form to complete. Present occupants of the position are Lee Woodring and Joe Leung.
    John Gamel
    2015 Ebony Metallic R1200RT
    BMW CCA 2006 - Present; BMW MOA 2009-Present
    Walt Kelly: "We have met the enemy, and he is us."

  6. #21
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    Posts
    6
    Living in Greensboro, I have used the service team at Carolina BMW for several years. I have found them to be fair, forthright, and good to work with. A few weeks ago I was at the shop having new tires installed, and noted that they were loaded with an unusual amount of work, even given the season. The few techs are swamped I think. And, in the winter, they are wishing for work, so as a business it is hard to add more techs given the seasonal nature of demand.

    I would suggest calling them back or even go visit rather than going up the chain of BMW complaint paths. Give them a fair second chance to make it right. You may be happier with the long term outcome. Good luck!

  7. #22
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Winston Salem, NC
    Posts
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by HoldFast View Post
    Living in Greensboro, I have used the service team at Carolina BMW for several years. I have found them to be fair, forthright, and good to work with. A few weeks ago I was at the shop having new tires installed, and noted that they were loaded with an unusual amount of work, even given the season. The few techs are swamped I think. And, in the winter, they are wishing for work, so as a business it is hard to add more techs given the seasonal nature of demand.

    I would suggest calling them back or even go visit rather than going up the chain of BMW complaint paths. Give them a fair second chance to make it right. You may be happier with the long term outcome. Good luck!
    I have been using Carolina BMW since 2005 and have never had a bit of trouble getting work done. Always satisfied with end the result, but the work I needed done was in the off season, not quite so busy.

    Yes... I would tend to agree with HoldFast... they are slammed during peak riding season. Personally I would give them the benefit of the doubt, they're probably jammed pack with work. Definitely give the service manager (Joe Crowder) a call and inquire about your bike. Per their website they only have one other tech besides Joe.

    But you can certainly pack it up, drive around for a few hours and haul it over to Raleigh, Charlotte or Asheville. Ultimately the choice is yours....

    Dave
    Dave
    2008 1200GSA
    MOA# 213524
    Past Bikes: BMW F650CS (for sale)

  8. #23
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    2,134
    After three and a half weeks, I'd ask for the material and get my torque wrench out. I say this especially since the ultimate decision maker tends not to be there and it seems obvious they can't even provide an estimated date of completion. If a shop runs four weeks or so behind for bolt torquing, the owner needs to find additional staff to handle the work. A two week turn around seems more feasible for both shop and customer.
    Last edited by Motodan; 07-04-2018 at 07:00 PM.
    2008 RT
    MOA #46783

  9. #24
    It isn't just the torque. The header must come off to remove the oil pan. I know Joe well. I talked to him before I made the appointment. It was made a week and a half ahead of time as per his request. At least some one should have called to tell me there were going to be delays. Since the owner has gone AWOL most of the time no one is there to take care of these issues. I have taken some of my business elsewhere. I just purchased a new helmet, communication system, and new summer riding gear. I don't want to burn bridges until after I ship my RT to CA in August since they are the contact point for the shipper. Sad to see the down turn of this business. I know of others who have switched brands because of the dysfunction going on at the shop.
    Buck in Greensboro, NC
    2013 R 1200 RT Midnight Blue - traded, 2014 R 1200 RT Ebony Metallic, 2016 S 1000 XR

  10. #25
    Good news got the bike back today!
    Buck in Greensboro, NC
    2013 R 1200 RT Midnight Blue - traded, 2014 R 1200 RT Ebony Metallic, 2016 S 1000 XR

  11. #26
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    atlanta
    Posts
    506
    [QUOTE= I know of others who have switched brands because of the dysfunction going on at the shop.[/QUOTE]

    I find that amazing! I had no idea that this is the only BMW dealer in the state or is it in the country.
    Marty Hill
    7 GS white

    Ride till you can't

  12. #27
    There are three others, Asheville, Raleigh and Charlotte. I don't know about Charlotte but the other shops sell multiple brands. If they were going to another town why not try a different brand. The local Triumph dealer has profited from the dysfunction at the BMW shop. Some have gone to Indian and Harley, all local dealerships. There are a lot of good motorcycles being made today. Why subjective yourself to substandard customer service just for brand loyalty.
    Buck in Greensboro, NC
    2013 R 1200 RT Midnight Blue - traded, 2014 R 1200 RT Ebony Metallic, 2016 S 1000 XR

  13. #28
    Knight-Errant 1957mpd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Las Cruces,NM
    Posts
    97
    Quote Originally Posted by bdfbeemer View Post
    ...Why [subject] yourself to substandard customer service just for brand loyalty?
    To which I would pair the question, "Why does BMW subject loyal customers to poor dealerships?" I'd be interested in learning which most often happens: BMW revoking or not renewing a franchise contract due to customer complaints, or, the franchise failing on its own when fed up customers migrate to another dealership or marque. Probably hard to say since so many BMW dealers sell multiple brands. One thing I am fairly sure of, and others have also observed, the quality of a dealership nearly always reflects the interest, investment, and personal time spent on premises of the owner(s).
    "Soló el que ensaya lo absurdo es capaz de conquistar lo imposible." Miguel de Unamuno 1905

    Mark - Las Cruces, NM - '10 K1300S and '17 R1200 GSA

  14. #29
    Registered User lkchris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Albuquerque, NM
    Posts
    6,082
    Quote Originally Posted by 1957mpd View Post
    To which I would pair the question, "Why does BMW subject loyal customers to poor dealerships?" I'd be interested in learning which most often happens: BMW revoking or not renewing a franchise contract due to customer complaints, or, the franchise failing on its own when fed up customers migrate to another dealership or marque. Probably hard to say since so many BMW dealers sell multiple brands. One thing I am fairly sure of, and others have also observed, the quality of a dealership nearly always reflects the interest, investment, and personal time spent on premises of the owner(s).
    You may know that state franchise laws are very strong ... you've noticed there are no online sales?

    In my town we had what was eventually the 2nd longest in existence BMW motorcycle dealer in the USA ... a dealer you wouldn't trust to do an oil change correctly. They finally sold out and now we have a dealer not bettered by any in the country. Comes to those who wait I guess.

    Anyway, logistics lines are long and it's my observation over the years USA offices of German companies are often not too effective, Mercedes possibly worse than BMW. Friend bought an R1200R (Wethead) when they were first new and the first service required a steering bearing check ... but the special tool required was not available from BMW. Traded it in on the spot.
    Kent Christensen
    21482
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

  15. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
    Friend bought an R1200R (Wethead) when they were first new and the first service required a steering bearing check ... but the special tool required was not available from BMW. Traded it in on the spot.
    Well he took it in the shorts on that deal I'd bet.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Similar Threads

  1. Frustrated and need help with 99 RT 1100
    By SGTBORING in forum Oilheads
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-10-2007, 05:19 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •