• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Ordering these Lonerider soft bags/racks

In this area lots of people are moving away from the stock or aftermarket aluminum cases and going to soft cases. Makes sense to me. The only thing the aluminum cases have going for them is convenience (easier to get into than folding and unfolding the top over on these bags) and the fact that they make acceptable camp chairs.

What size are you planning to get?

38L and 45L. Yes, they are more time consuming to utilize, but in a fall over or crash, going to be less costly. The eventual solution will be to have a second set of aluminum panniers that fit the same racks and swap them out depending on where one is riding. :thumb

I myself went with soft panniers...However, I think that the biggest advantage that hard panniers still have is the ability to lock.

Ordered the Lone Rider 38 and 45L bags with their rack for my 2012 1200GS. They had a 250.00 discount offer for 10 days [ got an email from them noticing same ] for Nov delivery. Only 200 sets will be made for Nov's delivery and no more through 2018.

Racks fit to the frame, backing plates, all hardware, bags were 1099.50 delivered [ free shipping ] instead of 1349.00. The varios come off in Nov, might be interested in selling them, not sure yet. They don't seem to be in demand on the used market much at any price so instead of giving them away, probably keep the mounting hardware and bags as a backup system.

Just my opinion but I see Lone Rider as a knockoff company, their tent is a direct knockoff of the Redverz tent and the bags started out as a direct knockoff of the Mosko Moto bags, Granted with evolution the current design has moved somewhat away from it.

I've been following the Mosko story on ADV almost from the beginning and their story is very cool and they are nice guys. If you read their thread on ADV from the beginning you will see how they put up their ideas to the masses on ADV and built from scratch using the inputs of the people who chimed in.

A truly organic grassroots kind of thing and arguably the best soft bags you can buy. I have their Nomad tank bag and love it on 3 different bikes.

https://advrider.com/index.php?threads/mosko-moto-soft-bags-for-offroad-dualsport.927215/

Just my opinion but I see Lone Rider as a knockoff company, their tent is a direct knockoff of the Redverz tent and the bags started out as a direct knockoff of the Mosko Moto bags, Granted with evolution the current design has moved somewhat away from it.

I've been following the Mosko story on ADV almost from the beginning and their story is very cool and they are nice guys. If you read their thread on ADV from the beginning you will see how they put up their ideas to the masses on ADV and built from scratch using the inputs of the people who chimed in.

A truly organic grassroots kind of thing and arguably the best soft bags you can buy. I have their Nomad tank bag and love it on 3 different bikes.

https://advrider.com/index.php?threads/mosko-moto-soft-bags-for-offroad-dualsport.927215/

I see no other company using Hypalon on their bags, nor throwing a bike off a fast moving truck duplicating what a get off would be like and how their bags would handle such an event. For these two reasons, I chose Lone Rider. A 3rd reason could also be that their product pricing with the discount I received is below what other rack and soft bag systems would have cost me.

Knock off or not, there's only so many variations on a theme, but using more durable materials like they do with hypalon and their pricing structure being in line with other bag companies and racks, it made sense to go with the more rugged product. No different than glock's striker polymer g17 being duplicated/knocked off by dozens of others after them. Build a better product with the same or reduced price structure and people will gravitate to the better product [ materials and pricing ].

Read that thread from the beginning, it’s an interesting story regardless of anything else.

I'd read it, looked at their bags as well as a slew of other soft bag companies products before deciding "one and done" at their price point was easier to get soft bags on the bike. One and done meaning I didn't need to order racks from someone, then bags from someone else.

Mosko's are great bags, I'd never consider any of the poly bags, they look too "cheesy" for my tastes though I'm sure they work just fine. On a get off, the poly isn't going to hold up well.

Old pic but I’ve been running these Ortlieb bags for about 12 years and they’ve never let me down. Super light and 100% waterproof. Of course they will not survive a get off at any speed but so far so good. They certainly have hit the ground any number of times on pavement and off with only a minor scuff on one bag that was easily patched with a piece of tape.

If I ever upgrade it will probably be Mosko R80’s

If my choice of soft bags couldn't survive a get off, I'd just keep the varios on the GS and not have spent the money. :thumb

BTW, the varios survived without leaking in days upon days of hard rain through BC and the Yukon last month.

Back