• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Navigator V & VI cover fix

rhaines

Just brought my 18RTLC home yesterday and have come up with a cheap fix ( less than $3 ) for that annoying GPS cover that is next to impossible to remove unless you have very thin fingers ( my 14RTLC didn't have the dash mount GPS so this is the first time I had to do a fix ).

Anyway, everything was purchased at Lowes but any hardware store should also have the needed materials. The knobs are 10-32 thread and I used a lock washer and hex nut to secure it to the cover, also used a Dremel tool to remove the excess thread on the inside of the cover ( needs to be flush otherwise the cover won't latch ) About a ten minute job that will save lots of frustration :) . See three attached photos of the finished project , I found two different knobs that would do the job and decided on the round one.

Attachments

• NAV 5&6 coner.jpg
    NAV 5&6 coner.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 238
  • inside NAV cover.jpg
    inside NAV cover.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 236
  • NAV cover alternate knob.jpg
    NAV cover alternate knob.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 239
I usually just push the lower left corner on that plate while pushing the release button. It just pops off.

I usually just push the lower left corner on that plate while pushing the release button. It just pops off.

Well sure, you could do that, but that would not consume an afternoon in the garage!

I tried that this morning and I'll be darned if it didn't work! Where were you before I spent all the time and money on this project that didn't need to be done :) I'm really surprised the salesman didn't know this trick , oh well thanks for the information and I'll be sure to pass it on .

I just used an old Canadian stand by-Duct Tape! Used black duct tape and made a small inch square tab and stuck it to the top edge of the cover! When put in the left side storage bin on my '16 RT the tab just flexes out of the way for better storage! Hardly took any time at all=more time to ride! Wish I had a pic!:ca

My RT was one of the first imported, she came with a small cover without any logo. When I got to see the fancy big cover plate I felt a little jealous, nice to find out an advantage :brad

Jay

Just brought my 18RTLC home yesterday and have come up with a cheap fix ( less than $3 ) for that annoying GPS cover that is next to impossible to remove unless you have very thin fingers ( my 14RTLC didn't have the dash mount GPS so this is the first time I had to do a fix ).

Anyway, everything was purchased at Lowes but any hardware store should also have the needed materials. The knobs are 10-32 thread and I used a lock washer and hex nut to secure it to the cover, also used a Dremel tool to remove the excess thread on the inside of the cover ( needs to be flush otherwise the cover won't latch ) About a ten minute job that will save lots of frustration :) . See three attached photos of the finished project , I found two different knobs that would do the job and decided on the round one.

Great idea! Thanks! I can't tell you how many times I've dropped that dang cover when trying to remove it.

Back