Thread: Navigator V & VI cover fix

Navigator V & VI cover fix

Just brought my 18RTLC home yesterday and have come up with a cheap fix ( less than $3 ) for that annoying GPS cover that is next to impossible to remove unless you have very thin fingers ( my 14RTLC didn't have the dash mount GPS so this is the first time I had to do a fix ).

Anyway, everything was purchased at Lowes but any hardware store should also have the needed materials. The knobs are 10-32 thread and I used a lock washer and hex nut to secure it to the cover, also used a Dremel tool to remove the excess thread on the inside of the cover ( needs to be flush otherwise the cover won't latch ) About a ten minute job that will save lots of frustration . See three attached photos of the finished project , I found two different knobs that would do the job and decided on the round one.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I usually just push the lower left corner on that plate while pushing the release button. It just pops off.
    Pat

Ride Safe!
    '16 RT

Quote Originally Posted by patm View Post
    I usually just push the lower left corner on that plate while pushing the release button. It just pops off.
    Well sure, you could do that, but that would not consume an afternoon in the garage!
    MOA #107139
    RA #28511

Registered User RIDERR1150GSADV's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by azgman View Post
    Well sure, you could do that, but that would not consume an afternoon in the garage!
    Getting away from SO
    MOA # 108516
    Current ride 2017 R1200RT White
    Past rides '04 R1150RT, '05 K1200LT, '06 R1150GSA

Take off the cover, spend $949 and put one of these in the space: https://www.amazon.com/BMW-MOTORRAD-...d+navigator+vi
    John Gamel
    2015 Ebony Metallic R1200RT
    BMW CCA 2006 - Present; BMW MOA 2009-Present
    Walt Kelly: "We have met the enemy, and he is us."

Quote Originally Posted by azgman View Post
    Pat

Ride Safe!
    '16 RT

Quote Originally Posted by patm View Post
    I tried that this morning and I'll be darned if it didn't work! Where were you before I spent all the time and money on this project that didn't need to be done I'm really surprised the salesman didn't know this trick , oh well thanks for the information and I'll be sure to pass it on .

I just used an old Canadian stand by-Duct Tape! Used black duct tape and made a small inch square tab and stuck it to the top edge of the cover! When put in the left side storage bin on my '16 RT the tab just flexes out of the way for better storage! Hardly took any time at all=more time to ride! Wish I had a pic!
    2006 DL 650 V-Strom
    2016 R1200RT

My RT was one of the first imported, she came with a small cover without any logo. When I got to see the fancy big cover plate I felt a little jealous, nice to find out an advantage

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by ExGMan View Post
    Take off the cover, spend $949 and put one of these in the space: https://www.amazon.com/BMW-MOTORRAD-...d+navigator+vi
    Only spent $677 for one at my dealer in PA.

Quote Originally Posted by rhaines View Post
    Only spent $677 for one at my dealer in PA.
    Now that's a good deal! Fills that space nicely, eh?
    John Gamel
    2015 Ebony Metallic R1200RT
    BMW CCA 2006 - Present; BMW MOA 2009-Present
    Walt Kelly: "We have met the enemy, and he is us."

Quote Originally Posted by rhaines View Post
    Just brought my 18RTLC home yesterday and have come up with a cheap fix ( less than $3 ) for that annoying GPS cover that is next to impossible to remove unless you have very thin fingers ( my 14RTLC didn't have the dash mount GPS so this is the first time I had to do a fix ).

Anyway, everything was purchased at Lowes but any hardware store should also have the needed materials. The knobs are 10-32 thread and I used a lock washer and hex nut to secure it to the cover, also used a Dremel tool to remove the excess thread on the inside of the cover ( needs to be flush otherwise the cover won't latch ) About a ten minute job that will save lots of frustration . See three attached photos of the finished project , I found two different knobs that would do the job and decided on the round one.
    Great idea! Thanks! I can't tell you how many times I've dropped that dang cover when trying to remove it.
    Ed Apelian
    Motorcycling is my passion because golf is far too dangerous!
    2012 R1200GSA Magma Red!
    2016 R1200RT- Platinum Bronze