• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Right Head Kerblammo? (04 R1150R)

mikeseven

Engine with 37k miles developed an oil leak from the right cylinder head spark plug recess. I pulled the valve cover and found this... has anyone seen this before? The photos are looking directly into the spark plug recess. You can see the top of the plug in the middle of the picture. The (apparently) damaged section is arrowed. The engine is running ok, I only looked because it was leaking oil.

Head Damage 1.jpgHead Damage 2.jpg

That is normal. All you need to do is replace the rubber seals as they likely hardened up due to age. Look at the other side of the engine and you’ll see the same. The trick to sealing up the engine after a valve adjustment is to rotate that seal 90 degrees every time. This allows for the seal to reset itself so to speak..

Given the low cost of the rubber donuts on the center spud of the oilheads, I always just replaced mine at every service. It makes sense to re-use the cover gasket as they are spendy and designed for multiple re-use, but the donuts...not so much. IMHO, of course.

Best,
DG

I had 90K miles on my oil head and never replaced them as they were fine by rotating them. I only had that bike for 4 years though...
The OP’s bike is an ‘04 and is suspect they were never replaced..

Thanks for the feedback. I am amazed that this is normal... the part in question looks like a neanderthal took a bite out of it. Interestingly, I replaced the valve cover gasket and "donut" when I checked the valves about 1k miles ago. I rechecked valve clearances a few hundred miles later, did not know to rotate the donut. Will do so, thanks again.

You’re welcome! I remember having a similar reaction to yours when I first opened up the motor to adjust the valves.. :laugh

Back