• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Broken Throttle Body Pulleys

ponch1

Ponch
Just got the latest issue of ON and in the Rider to Rider section there was a letter from Bart Ruud with the title, Beware of Plastic Throttle Bodies. 3 and half years ago, mine broke and I ended up replacing them with units from a low mileage salvage. When I contacted BMW, they basically said, have it fixed, send the bill and we'll determine if we will do anything. Right. 1400+ later it would be. Like Bart, I filed a complaint with the NHTSA. Since then, I've seen TB's for sale on ebay with the cracks. SO, my question is, has anyone else had this problem and what did you do? Did you contact BMW, put in a report to the NHTSA or Something else? I could have have sent my TBs to Bing Agency, but it wouldn't have been any different in cost or labor, maybe more as the throttle bodies have to come apart in order to replace the pulleys.

Very well known issue with my mechanic here in the southwest. Mine were both just replaced under extended warranty, one was cracked, the other basically fell apart when he opened the unit up to check them before I head out to Ak and during it's 12K service. So well known in fact, he mentioned he'd check them for cracks when I made the appt for service.

The black throttle bodies are hard to get for my triple black right now, but he put a pair from another bike on mine that only had 1K miles on them and will have my new upgraded ones in by the time I return, then swap them back out once again. The upgraded ones are no longer plastic so once they are swapped out I'll never have this "plastic" throttle body issue again.

Price, like the OP, was close to 1400.00 with labor [ and warranty paid for them ].. Something like 600.00 a piece just for the parts.

Very well known issue with my mechanic here in the southwest. Mine were both just replaced under extended warranty, one was cracked, the other basically fell apart when he opened the unit up to check them before I head out to Ak and during it's 12K service. So well known in fact, he mentioned he'd check them for cracks when I made the appt for service.

The black throttle bodies are hard to get for my triple black right now, but he put a pair from another bike on mine that only had 1K miles on them and will have my new upgraded ones in by the time I return, then swap them back out once again. The upgraded ones are no longer plastic so once they are swapped out I'll never have this "plastic" throttle body issue again.

Price, like the OP, was close to 1400.00 with labor [ and warranty paid for them ].. Something like 600.00 a piece just for the parts.

Mine broke at the same time and I had to get a tow. It really put a stink on BMW for me for awhile. It's not the high tech stuff that breaks on their bikes, it's the stuff everyone has figured out for decades. Whatever now, I fixed it myself, found a salvage with less miles than mine for $235 for the set and that came with the fuel injection, sensors and the throttle linkage. All I had to do was buy an oetiker clamp plier.

Back