Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Oil, not just another thread

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    I like to remind consumers that warranty denial such as this is BS-

If you own a car, you know how important it is to keep up with routine maintenance and repairs. But can a dealer refuse to honor the warranty that came with your new car if someone else does the routine maintenance or repairs?

The Federal Trade Commission (FTC), the nation's consumer protection agency, says no. In fact, it's illegal for a dealer to deny your warranty coverage simply because you had routine maintenance or repairs performed by someone else. Routine maintenance often includes oil changes, tire rotations, belt replacement, fluid checks and flushes, new brake pads, and inspections. Maintenance schedules vary by vehicle make, model and year; the best source of information about routine scheduled maintenance is your owner's manual.

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/article...ne-maintenance

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnus...s_Warranty_Act

Try not to let unscrupulous dealer/repair locations or suppliers give you a hosing.......unless your into that sort of thing.

OM
    OM:

No...this is not about who did the maintenance.

It's about using stuff in your car/bike etc that is not approved by the manufacturer.

In this case, a very expensive Porsche ABS fried at a track day. When the zone rep inspected it, there was blue brake fluid in it. Warranty denied. Porsche does not have any approved blue brake fluid. Super Blue does not have Dot 4 rating...simply because of the dye. I'm not saying it's "bad", but it is the wrong color. Easy for warranty denial.

Viscosity is harder to detect..and there are engine events that can affect viscosity. That makes it even harder to detect. Possible that, if the oil is consistency of cold molassas and the spec is for 0w20 that they might deny warranty repairs. I've never seen it.

There is a lot of discussion about oil weights in the Porsche forums too. They are also accustomed to thick oil and the new engines use thin. I use 5w40 in my 120K mile Cayman S instead of 0w40....but I won't use 20-50. There are people who race them and successfully use thicker oil, but they've also had the engines apart and have opened up the oil channels in the block and bearings. Point is, new engines aren't made the same as the old ones...and manufactures CAN deny warranty payments if you use unapproved fluids or parts and those items can be construed to have contributed to a failure.

My '05 RT's rear swing-arm housing broke in 3 pieces when I hit a road hazard one day. They denied the warranty because I had Wilbers shocks on the bike. I was really mad about it at the time...however... The Wilbers were triple adjustable and they were set too soft for the load I had on the bike at the time. I think they bottomed. The big, fine-thread bolt that fastens the shock to the swing arm was not torqued with a torque wrench and may have been over-tightened, contributing to this failure. My insurance paid for the repair on a road hazard claim. I had to pay deductible but it was covered. I also learned that torque wrenches are important. I had skipped it because the position of the bolt made it tough to use a torque wrench. I have torque wrenches...just not the right extension for this job. Now, I do.

Anyway, fair is fair. Sometimes, the manufacturer has to protect itself. They're not just out to get us.
    2017 R1200RT; Carbon Black; all the goodies...no mods yet!
    -2005 R1200RT; Black repaint; Wilbers adj. susp; Bar-baks; Sargent seats; 94K 6/2018.
    -2000 Aprilia RSV Mille R; 20K 6/2018

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    If it made the specifications, color wouldn’t matter. I have to suspect there is more to this story.
    The someone else that is doing the maintenance could be the owner.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    If it made the specifications, color wouldn’t matter. I have to suspect there is more to this story.
    The someone else that is doing the maintenance could be the owner.
    OM
    NOT PORSCHE APPROVED FLUIDS...end of story.

It's not made to the specs. It has dye in it. No porsche approved brake fluids are blue. Get it? Nothing to do with who put it in there. It was a big bucks repair and they
    2017 R1200RT; Carbon Black; all the goodies...no mods yet!
    -2005 R1200RT; Black repaint; Wilbers adj. susp; Bar-baks; Sargent seats; 94K 6/2018.
    -2000 Aprilia RSV Mille R; 20K 6/2018

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rtwiz View Post
    NOT PORSCHE APPROVED FLUIDS...end of story.

It's not made to the specs. It has dye in it. No porsche approved brake fluids are blue. Get it? Nothing to do with who put it in there. It was a big bucks repair and they
    Easy there big guy. https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...ake-fluid.html

Iffin' a manufacturer could spec a fluid and patent the color and force you to use it....they would.

OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Visit your local Yamaha dealer and check out the Yamalube full synthetics with ester. I think these oils will be fine in a BMW and maybe a bit cheaper than BMW branded oils, no surprise there. My FJR tranny was a touch on the clunky shifting side and the Motul with ester did make a difference but I think the Yamalube is every bit as good and at $13/liter it's seems a good choice as well for any integrated engine/tranny motorcycle.
    Jammess

'93 R1100RSL, '10 FJR1300A
    MOA # 50714

Quote Originally Posted by jammess View Post
    Visit your local Yamaha dealer and check out the Yamalube full synthetics with ester. I think these oils will be fine in a BMW and maybe a bit cheaper than BMW branded oils, no surprise there. My FJR tranny was a touch on the clunky shifting side and the Motul with ester did make a difference but I think the Yamalube is every bit as good and at $13/liter it's seems a good choice as well for any integrated engine/tranny motorcycle.
    Doesn't your FJR use 20w50 oil? Mine did and I prefered Motul 7100 to Yamalube.
    Pat

Ride Safe!
    '16 RT

What in the world is "Ester" in oil? Motul with ester as opposed to without? what is the differ? What does Ester do for the engine
    "...whether is clear to you or not, the universe is unfolding as it should"

Quote Originally Posted by Wethead View Post
    What in the world is "Ester" in oil? Motul with ester as opposed to without? what is the differ? What does Ester do for the engine
    Read the Wikipedia piece on “Synthetic Oil”. It explains the various types of synthetic oils (and why “full synthetic” is a marketing term and not an API classification.
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

Good oil (meets specs) is better than bad oil.
    New Oil is better than old oil.
    Some oil is better than old oil.

That is all.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by patm View Post
    Doesn't your FJR use 20w50 oil? Mine did and I prefered Motul 7100 to Yamalube.
    Yes, the FJR can use 20w50 or 10w40. I like the lighter oil because shifting seems a bit smoother and where I live day time high temps are most often 65 to 75 degrees maximum. Today was 70 and the rest of the week will see highs in low seventies before dropping down to the mid 60s. Why did you like Motul over Yamalube? I ask because I've not used the Yamalube only Motul which is great oil, imo. I buy Motul on Amazon but it's really handy to just drive 5 minutes to the Yamaha dealer and cost is about the same.

The BMW gets a steady diet of Shell Rotella T4 15w40 mineral oil since I'm afraid synthetic might cause seal leakage. I also use only BMW oil filters but wish I new of a good quality after market filter. I won't use an automotive filter on any motorcycle. Come to think of it I only use Yamaha filters on the FJR as well.
    Jammess

MOA # 50714

... I also use only BMW oil filters but wish I (k)new of a good quality after market filter.
    https://www.beemerboneyard.com/11421460845c.html

http://www.beemershop.com/Merchant5/...duct_Code=OC91
    Lee A. Dickinson - Danielsville, GA USA
    MOA 80364 | RA 29650 | ABC 3480 | IBA 8914
    1976 R75/6 - 1992 R100RS - 1993 K1100RS - 2013 R1200GS

Yes, the FJR can use 20w50 or 10w40. I like the lighter oil because shifting seems a bit smoother and where I live day time high temps are most often 65 to 75 degrees maximum. Today was 70 and the rest of the week will see highs in low seventies before dropping down to the mid 60s. Why did you like Motul over Yamalube? I ask because I've not used the Yamalube only Motul which is great oil, imo. I buy Motul on Amazon but it's really handy to just drive 5 minutes to the Yamaha dealer and cost is about the same.

The BMW gets a steady diet of Shell Rotella T4 15w40 mineral oil since I'm afraid synthetic might cause seal leakage. I also use only BMW oil filters but wish I new of a good quality after market filter. I won't use an automotive filter on any motorcycle. Come to think of it I only use Yamaha filters on the FJR as well.
    Temps here vary from near freezing to very hot. Typically 2°C to 40°C between spring, summer and fall. Today was a comfortable 25°C while earlier this week it was 36°C.

I didn't know Yamaha recommended 10w40 but I guess it wouldn't do any harm since they initially recommended 20w40. They did recommend 20w50 mineral later.
    I ran Motul 20w50 as it is synthetic (100% Esther) vs mineral for Yamalube. I found that Motul gave me smoother shifting. I've tried other brands, Amsoil, Mobil 1, etc. All were fine but I preferred Motul. The synthetic last longer than mineral. The FJR needs new oil every 6000 km and sometimes, on longer trips, I could run past that.

I just did my oil change this past Monday to Motul 7100 5w40 in my RT. It seems to be shifting smoother too but it's still too early to tell.
    I was running Shell Rotella T6 5w40 before. As for filters, I use Mahle. They're the OEM supplier for BMW.
    Pat

Ride Safe!
    '16 RT

Quote Originally Posted by patm View Post
    Temps here vary from near freezing to very hot. Typically 2°C to 40°C between spring, summer and fall. Today was a comfortable 25°C while earlier this week it was 36°C.

I didn't know Yamaha recommended 10w40 but I guess it wouldn't do any harm since they initially recommended 20w40. They did recommend 20w50 mineral later.
    I ran Motul 20w50 as it is synthetic (100% Esther) vs mineral for Yamalube. I found that Motul gave me smoother shifting. I've tried other brands, Amsoil, Mobil 1, etc. All were fine but I preferred Motul. The synthetic last longer than mineral. The FJR needs new oil every 6000 km and sometimes, on longer trips, I could run past that.

I just did my oil change this past Monday to Motul 7100 5w40 in my RT. It seems to be shifting smoother too but it's still too early to tell.
    I was running Shell Rotella T6 5w40 before. As for filters, I use Mahle. They're the OEM supplier for BMW.
    Thanks for that. I just ordered an Mahle OC-91 filter on Amazon for my BMW. Never heard of the brand and free shipping with Prime.

Don't know if Yamaha necessarily recommends 10w40 for the FJR they just give operating air temperature ranges for the oils in the owners manual. On the FJR forums there are those that prefer lighter weights for smoother shifting and riding in cooler temps. I'll probably stick with the Motul since price is about the same as the Yamalube and I really like the 4 liter container the Motul comes in with the nifty pouring spout.
    Jammess

MOA # 50714