• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Stick coil connector 2012 R1200RT

thehuman

Hi All, IMG_20180627_201147.jpgIMG_20180627_201135.jpg

My bike seemed to run fine , but idle was a little rough and the was a slight knocking between 3000 a 4000 rpms.
I read threads on checking stick coils and decided to give it a try. what I found was the left side connect was damaged , it appears that there was arcing in the connector and burnt the plastic casing away.

Any one have this problem and what is the best way to fix it?
I am waiting for the dealer to open soon.

The wire is part of the wiring harness and not a short replaceable section.

Thanks

Theunis

Your dealer will probably fix you up with this repair connection:
Capture.PNG

You'll want to solder and heat-shrink the leads onto your harness.

Screen capture from Max BMW fiche.

I had the same problem when I went to change my spark plugs on my newly-acquired '07 RT. I was able to source the replacement just as you have. I would also look at your actual stick coil, sometimes the plastic holder (u-shaped) is also cracked, allowing the connection to flex.

I have now learned that you should remove the connector first before removing the coil. I wished the previous owners had learned it before I got the bike!

Well finally got the connectors repaired. Bike runs better , throttle is much smoother too.
All seems good.

Before changing coils check the connectors first, cheaper to repair.

Back