• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Seiad Creek rd Advice needed- from Seiad Vally, CA to Upper Applegate rd in OR

indycar

Indy Dave
Looking for folks who have traveled this road. 3 of us will be on RT's heading on up to Portland. One of the guys on the trip has done some routing, and as I enter this into Basecamp, I just want to be sure this a passable/decent gravel-packed road. While my ridding partners are capable pavement riders and have been riding for decades, they are never too fired up about gravel. On more than one occasion they have not followed me down a gravel road if other options were available to them. In this case, I don't think my buddy felt he had many options. Even so, I was a little surprised at the road choice. I'm wanting to avoid getting halfway through the gravel only to turn around if the road turns to mush or riders are too uncomfortable. Or worse, having some (or lots) steeply slopping/rising tight switchbacks accompanied by steep drop-offs where if one panics . . . disaster is waiting or rather, likely.

Here's the google version of the section of road in question. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

https://goo.gl/maps/Zouqx3WjFUu

Dave

Dave -

Saw something from mid May on ADRider forum. Some one posted this:

My path was Grants Pass, Cave Junction, Happy Camp, and an attempt to get to Applegate Lake. The road to Applegate (Seiad Creek) was blocked off at the Pacific Crest Trail crossing.

This is right at the spot of the road in question.

Dave -

Saw something from mid May on ADRider forum. Some one posted this:

This is right at the spot of the road in question.

Thanks Kurt! Oddly, I called the number for Kalmath Forest Service (in CA) and they said nothing about the road being closed. The person I spoke with had only been on the road once, so may not know or perhaps it's open. or? :dunno

Back