• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Recommendation on Motorcycle Insurance Company

I know that here in Montana adding uninsured/underinsured coverage is quite expensive, but non-negotiable in my view. If the $311 insurance includes uninsured/underinsured coverage it is indeed a good deal; if not then it is much less so.

It costs us 4 times what the liability costs but we still carry it on the bikes. About 25% of Texas drivers have no or just minimal insurance - and it is worth is some surrounding states.

Progressive seems best

Progressive insures both my bikes, 1978 R100s Motorsport, and 1968 R60US for a little over 200/year.....great deal.
The kicker is the "agreed value" on the policy. In the event of a total loss, they pay the agreed value....not the "book"value, which is likely
very small, if they could even find one for such old bikes.
The agreed value is a number I gave them and they accepted, not outrageously high, just what I feel they are worth.
And no, that value would not replace either bike.
Bob...............in Vermont

Geico vs. Progressive

What are your most recent experiences with Geico or Progressive? I am a current Progressive customer. I can’t complain so far, but I am didn’t have have any need for a claim either.

I also looked at other insurance companies here in Massachussets. All of the traditional insurance companies were just too expensive.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Progressive vs Geico

What are your most recent experiences with Geico or Progressive? I am a current Progressive customer. I can’t complain so far, but I am didn’t have have any need for a claim either.

I also looked at other insurance companies here in Massachussets. All of the traditional insurance companies were just too expensive.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Geico is not available in Michigan even though I keep getting email and TV adds for them. Called and they informed me Michigan is not available!
Was a Progressive customer till 2010. I bought a BMW K1300S and they quoted me an increase of $1,000 just for basic level coverage! Went to DairyLand insurance. I insured all three of my BMWs for full coverage for less than the increase Progressive wanted. Have had very good service with DairyLand. Now if the stupid state of Michigan will get real with their MCCA fee on all vehicles when you buy insurance, it is more than the charge for insurance by the company!!!!!

Geico here for all 4 bikes. It's about $1200 a year for basic liability on the 3 Harley's and comprehensive on the BMW with uninsured motorist on all bikes. In Mississippi like most other states now, many drivers are driving with no insurance/no license/suspended license and will flee if possible in the event of a collision. You better have uninsured motorist coverage. I might add i'm 68 and get the senior citizen discount. Apparently they don't know how fast some old folks can go.

We have Progressive and just started our fourth year with them. Five motorcycles: 2017 R12GS/ 2017 R12GSA / 2013 F800GS / 2018 Ural / 2019 Ural. Liability / Comprehensive / Collision/ Uninsured Motorist. $892 annually.

Insurance is mostly regulated by the states and the rules vary substantially from state to state. As a result an insurance company’s cost and performance can also vary substantially from state to state.

I have all my insurance through American Family Insurance; Cars, Bike, Home, and Umbrella.

My '14 GSA costs me about $140 per year with "Full Coverage" and increased limits.

I went back and looked. I forgot there were 5 bikes on my Geico policy. $1120 yearly in Mississippi. I do believe insurance is higher in my state because of the lax enforcement of insurance requirements and the large number of uninsured/unlicensed motorists. Insurance is not required when buying plates or registering a vehicle.

Good day,

I have been with Markel for several years. I have been generally pleased.
I have only filed one claim for vandalism when someone tried to steal my cycle, dumped and dragged it. Their service and support was good.
Be well, ride safely.
RK

MCCA is a insurance through the State of Michigan so if you are in an accident and need major 24/7 care, your medical bills will be covered for life. Just renewed my auto and motorcycle insurance. It’s a $100.00 fee on each vehicle this year. It varies from year to year. Vintage vehicles pay way less. I remember one year the fee was almost as much as my motorcycle insurance. Hospitals can charge about what they wanted to from what I understand. There was insurance reform this year in Michigan. I think my agent told me that hospitals can charge 2% more now than Medicare pays through the MCCA program. It’s mandated and complicated, you just pay it. I’m still not clear if motorcycle accidents are eligible. I do remember one fact my agent told me, about 30% of Michigan drivers have no insurance. I am probably wrong on some of the facts of the MCCA insurance, but I know what I pay on it every year. It seems like I paying for people who don’t play by the rules.
Doug

Usaa

Good morning...
I'm looking for a reliable company that strikes the best balance between affordability, great coverage, and financial stability. Can anyone with first-hand experience give insights/recommendations? Just found out that USAA doesn't carry motorcycle insurance anymore and I have to close on a new motorcycle this week. Thank you in advance!

Usaa uses progressive......they port you to their site when looking up insurance on USA site. I have Rider ins here in NJ

Jerry

Plus one!

USAA has a relationship with Progressive. There is a special USAA/Progressive telephone number: 877-689-9794. Once you have a Progressive policy on your motorcycle, USAA lists it on its coverage pages.

I had 2008 RT insured by USAA. The premium was high, but I've been with USAA since 1967, have had great experiences and decided not to shop around. Once I got a 2015 RT I was told to head over to the USAA office at Progressive. I've been a Progressive policy holder for three years, and each year the premium comes down. In Massachusetts I have very broad and deep coverage to complement my USAA Umbrella policy.

As to Progressive, I've not had to make a claim, and, of course, hope I never have to do so. They do seem pretty efficient, and always say the magic USAA initials when I call. Frankly, as a 50-year USAA member I can say it was about the brightest thing I did when I was 23 years old.

Have had Progressive Insurance through USAA on all my bikes since I first started riding. Highly recommend. Made one claim when I got run over by a trailer (long story) they paid to restore my ‘05 RT like new.

Do yourself a favor and check out Dairyland. I added a 3rd bike last year and saved over a thousand dollars from my Progressive plan.

I just switched from Foremost to Geico due to rate creep with Foremost.

Be warned that Geico has a provision that you cannot ride more than 500 miles in 24 hours. Not sure how they enforce that, but if you are an Ironbutt rider like me, that won't fly.

These rates seem very low. I am 66, perfect driving record, live in Dallas, with an R1250 GS and a KTM 790 Duke. Progressive charged me about $1,200 my first year, the renewal for the second year was around $1,470. Haven’t seen my third year renewal yet. I also insure 4 cars with them with a 29 year old son as a driver for $1,850. Something seems out of whack. I will call Dairyland.

These rates seem very low. I am 66, perfect driving record, live in Dallas, with an R1250 GS and a KTM 790 Duke. Progressive charged me about $1,200 my first year, the renewal for the second year was around $1,470. Haven’t seen my third year renewal yet. I also insure 4 cars with them with a 29 year old son as a driver for $1,850. Something seems out of whack. I will call Dairyland.

If your policy coverage in Texas includes Uninsured / Underinsured Motorist coverage that might explain the size of the premium. We have coverage in rural West Texas with Farmer's Foremost subsidiary. The uninsured/underinsured coverage costs from five (5) times to seven (7) times the liability premium. Recent data showed that in Texas somewhere between 25% and 33% of cars lacked insurance. The state now says they are aware that at least 20% of cars lack insurance. The state does/did not require insurance companies to report cancellations so people would get insurance with monthly payments and after the car is registered they don't pay the next month's premium. Then drive on until the next year and do it again. I am not sure the status of reporting requirements by now but it was a big issue. The state thought that requiring reporting of cancellations might be a burden on business even though it is done in most states.

We insure a '94 R1100RS, '94 K75 and '95 K75RT with $100,000/$300,000 liability and un/under insured coverage only, and two G310GSs with $100,000/$300,000 liability, collision, comprehensive, optional equipment, ($500 deductible) and un/underinsured coverage for a total of $960 a year. A location in urban Dallas compared to the rural Big Bend may well account for big premium differences.

Last edited:
Progressive sponsors the Progressive Motorcycle Show- pretty big shows .If you gave their insurance, they have a lounge in the arenas- free coffee and swag bag...so there's that.

Depending on the state where you live USAA will cover you. Here in California they offer coverage, uninsured or underinsured costs me about $10 per month per vehicle. I have to admit though I never have had to file a motorcycle claim

Back