Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Recommendation on Motorcycle Insurance Company

Doug D
    MCCA is a insurance through the State of Michigan so if you are in an accident and need major 24/7 care, your medical bills will be covered for life. Just renewed my auto and motorcycle insurance. Itís a $100.00 fee on each vehicle this year. It varies from year to year. Vintage vehicles pay way less. I remember one year the fee was almost as much as my motorcycle insurance. Hospitals can charge about what they wanted to from what I understand. There was insurance reform this year in Michigan. I think my agent told me that hospitals can charge 2% more now than Medicare pays through the MCCA program. Itís mandated and complicated, you just pay it. Iím still not clear if motorcycle accidents are eligible. I do remember one fact my agent told me, about 30% of Michigan drivers have no insurance. I am probably wrong on some of the facts of the MCCA insurance, but I know what I pay on it every year. It seems like I paying for people who donít play by the rules.
    Doug

Usaa

Quote Originally Posted by Moe13 View Post
    Good morning...
    I'm looking for a reliable company that strikes the best balance between affordability, great coverage, and financial stability. Can anyone with first-hand experience give insights/recommendations? Just found out that USAA doesn't carry motorcycle insurance anymore and I have to close on a new motorcycle this week. Thank you in advance!
    Usaa uses progressive......they port you to their site when looking up insurance on USA site. I have Rider ins here in NJ

Jerry
    Jerry2019 R1250 RT Carbon Black (current)
    Previously Owned; 96 Kaw 800, 99 Honda Ace 1100, 2000 Honda VFR 800, 2002 Honda Sabre 1100, 2002 Honda 954 RR, 2004 Kaw 1500, 2005 Kaw ZX12, 2007 Kaw ZX 14, 2007 HD Streetglide, 2009 Kaw Vulcan 1600; 2013 Yamaha FJR1300, 2009 HD Road King.

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    What is an MCCA fee???

http://michigancatastrophic.com/

OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Plus one!

Quote Originally Posted by ExGMan View Post
    USAA has a relationship with Progressive. There is a special USAA/Progressive telephone number: 877-689-9794. Once you have a Progressive policy on your motorcycle, USAA lists it on its coverage pages.

I had 2008 RT insured by USAA. The premium was high, but I've been with USAA since 1967, have had great experiences and decided not to shop around. Once I got a 2015 RT I was told to head over to the USAA office at Progressive. I've been a Progressive policy holder for three years, and each year the premium comes down. In Massachusetts I have very broad and deep coverage to complement my USAA Umbrella policy.

As to Progressive, I've not had to make a claim, and, of course, hope I never have to do so. They do seem pretty efficient, and always say the magic USAA initials when I call. Frankly, as a 50-year USAA member I can say it was about the brightest thing I did when I was 23 years old.
    Have had Progressive Insurance through USAA on all my bikes since I first started riding. Highly recommend. Made one claim when I got run over by a trailer (long story) they paid to restore my Ď05 RT like new.
    R. Reece Mullins Ebony R1200RT (Gretchen)
    MOA # 143779
    MOA Charter Club #5 #364 #100
    BMW MOA Vice President

Do yourself a favor and check out Dairyland. I added a 3rd bike last year and saved over a thousand dollars from my Progressive plan.
    Steve
    MOA #208308
    2016 R1200RT San Marino Blue Metalic, 2017 Yamaha FZ-07, 2019 Ducati Monster 1200s

Quote Originally Posted by BMW_Ken View Post
    I just switched from Foremost to Geico due to rate creep with Foremost.
    Be warned that Geico has a provision that you cannot ride more than 500 miles in 24 hours. Not sure how they enforce that, but if you are an Ironbutt rider like me, that won't fly.

These rates seem very low. I am 66, perfect driving record, live in Dallas, with an R1250 GS and a KTM 790 Duke. Progressive charged me about $1,200 my first year, the renewal for the second year was around $1,470. Havenít seen my third year renewal yet. I also insure 4 cars with them with a 29 year old son as a driver for $1,850. Something seems out of whack. I will call Dairyland.
    rickdm

R1250GS, KTM 790 Duke

Quote Originally Posted by rickdm View Post
    These rates seem very low. I am 66, perfect driving record, live in Dallas, with an R1250 GS and a KTM 790 Duke. Progressive charged me about $1,200 my first year, the renewal for the second year was around $1,470. Haven’t seen my third year renewal yet. I also insure 4 cars with them with a 29 year old son as a driver for $1,850. Something seems out of whack. I will call Dairyland.
    If your policy coverage in Texas includes Uninsured / Underinsured Motorist coverage that might explain the size of the premium. We have coverage in rural West Texas with Farmer's Foremost subsidiary. The uninsured/underinsured coverage costs from five (5) times to seven (7) times the liability premium. Recent data showed that in Texas somewhere between 25% and 33% of cars lacked insurance. The state now says they are aware that at least 20% of cars lack insurance. The state does/did not require insurance companies to report cancellations so people would get insurance with monthly payments and after the car is registered they don't pay the next month's premium. Then drive on until the next year and do it again. I am not sure the status of reporting requirements by now but it was a big issue. The state thought that requiring reporting of cancellations might be a burden on business even though it is done in most states.

We insure a '94 R1100RS, '94 K75 and '95 K75RT with $100,000/$300,000 liability and un/under insured coverage only, and two G310GSs with $100,000/$300,000 liability, collision, comprehensive, optional equipment, ($500 deductible) and un/underinsured coverage for a total of $960 a year. A location in urban Dallas compared to the rural Big Bend may well account for big premium differences.
    Last edited by PGlaves; 05-05-2021 at 07:09 PM.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Progressive sponsors the Progressive Motorcycle Show- pretty big shows .If you gave their insurance, they have a lounge in the arenas- free coffee and swag bag...so there's that.

Depending on the state where you live USAA will cover you. Here in California they offer coverage, uninsured or underinsured costs me about $10 per month per vehicle. I have to admit though I never have had to file a motorcycle claim

Left Coast Rider
    So, to summarize, they're all good, some are better than others and some aren't so good.

Now, which oil is best?

Quote Originally Posted by BC1100S View Post

Now, which oil is best?

Extra Virgin Olive Oil
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by drost View Post
    MCCA is a insurance through the State of Michigan so if you are in an accident and need major 24/7 care, your medical bills will be covered for life. Just renewed my auto and motorcycle insurance. Itís a $100.00 fee on each vehicle this year. It varies from year to year. Vintage vehicles pay way less. I remember one year the fee was almost as much as my motorcycle insurance. Hospitals can charge about what they wanted to from what I understand. There was insurance reform this year in Michigan. I think my agent told me that hospitals can charge 2% more now than Medicare pays through the MCCA program. Itís mandated and complicated, you just pay it. Iím still not clear if motorcycle accidents are eligible. I do remember one fact my agent told me, about 30% of Michigan drivers have no insurance. I am probably wrong on some of the facts of the MCCA insurance, but I know what I pay on it every year. It seems like I paying for people who donít play by the rules.
    Doug
    Michigan insurance has so many moving parts, it is hard to understand. If your below Medicare age it is different than above Medicare age. If you ride a motorcycle there are additional coverage considerations over just driving a car. Furthermore, if your an active bicycle rider you have other coverage considerations in case you are hit by a driver or rider. On top of that, and I don 't know if this is only Medicare recipients, we need to verify every six months with USAA that we are still covered by Medicare Part A and B and still retired from the military and having TRICARE as our supplemental coverage. What are the chances that we will lose our Medicare coverage and I will unretire from the military? About the same chance that pigs will fly, in formation. I recently spoke to USAA on doing the six month verification on Medicare Part A and B and still retired from the military with Tricare. She said "are you loving Michigan?". She said they had to go thru a special training session to deal with Michigan Insurance issues. I wonder how people in their later years are coping with this. Makes you really dependent on your insurance agent. Maybe that was the objective?

Wayne Koppa
    Grayling, MI
    #71,449

Ideas for you and questions

Hi I am a serial BMW owner and also work in the collector car insurance business. If you are looking to insure a modern bike I personally am insured with Progressive. With a older K Bike (brick) or R bike (airhead) AND you also own a modern bike, the only real solution is collector insurance. I personally write for Hagerty, American Modern, and Grundy. I insure a number of older collections with quite a few BMWs in the mix.

Just for my bona fides, my first bike was a R50/5 Toaster, have owned around 30 other airheads and around 5 Brick K bikes. I judge motorcycles at Radnor Hunt for John Lawless, and at Hilton Head. my friends and references include Tim Stafford, John Landstrom, Tim Parker from Bonhams, and Nick Smith formerly of Bonhams. I love working with vintage bike guys.

My current bikes are a 1973 R75/5, a 2009 R1200GS, a 2002 Triumph Bonneville, and a 2008 Ducati Multistrada 1100S and always looking for another.

I know valuations of classic motorcycles and understand them at a fundamental level. If you need any help please feel free to message me as I always like to meet other motorcycle people especially BMW owners.

my email is andy@haydenwood.com feel free to reach out with questions or just to chat.

Andy

Insurance

Quote Originally Posted by bobs98 View Post
    Call USAA and ask for the USAA agency desk phone number at Foremost.

Of course there are many factors that will affect price, but their service has been great for me.
    I have been a member of USAA since 1978 and have insured all my cars with them; however, years ago when I called USAA RE: motorcycle coverage they forwarded me to Progressive. I have been using Progressive for my RV and my motorcycles. Fortunately, I have not needed to call them for a claim. The pricing seems fair and because I have used them for several years I get a better rate.

I hope this helps,

Craig