• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Recommendation on Motorcycle Insurance Company

Moe13

Good morning...
I'm looking for a reliable company that strikes the best balance between affordability, great coverage, and financial stability. Can anyone with first-hand experience give insights/recommendations? Just found out that USAA doesn't carry motorcycle insurance anymore and I have to close on a new motorcycle this week. Thank you in advance!

There are several reliable big name insurance companies. Check out the MOA mag for adverts. Or see if Consumer Reports has any info.
As to pricing / affordability...my recommendation is NOT to stay with the same company too long. They will let the price creep up. ..so shop often.
Example I had Progressive for several years. Price crept up to $500 for two bikes. Called Dairy Land got the same coverage for just over $200.

Been with Progressive for a long time now. They handled one claim (deer collision) very fairly and it didn't affect my rates. I have checked pricing from time to time and have only been confirmed that my rates are competitive. Remember that every state and even zip code will have an impact on your insurance.

Bend over

I get my insurance from geico not sure why think I checked with progressive and geico was less expensive. I have a 1994 R1100RS and a 1978 R100/7 I only get the liability and extra medical coverage cost $161.28/year. I was looking at a F800GS checked insurance cost for full coverage think it was about 200 also for 2 bikes. ( FYI cost $17 more to change coverage from 1980 Kawasaki KZ440 to the R100/7)

Call USAA and ask for the USAA agency desk phone number at Foremost.

Of course there are many factors that will affect price, but their service has been great for me.

I think what USAA is doing is not taking on new motorcycle insurance. I still have my /7 insurance with USAA but as Bob says, they have outsourced it. Not sure if they would transfer from one motorcycle to another new motorcycle as long as you only had one. When I tried to insure my R69S with them when I bought it, they said no, so I went with a more vintage oriented insurance company.

Liberty Mutual

I have Liberty Mutual, for my car, home and motorcycle. Very happy with the service, price and responsiveness when I did have a collision (car). The human interactions have been positive, too.

I'd let your fingers do the searching. Does anyone have the "yellow pages" anymore? Anyway, look up some local independent insurance agents in the area. Tell them what you want, and then see what they come back with. They'll be representing several companies, not just one, and will find you the best deal they can offer.

And then for comparison purposes, do an online quote with one of the bigger name insurance companies.

Often, the independent agents can get you a better deal than the bigger name companies, simply because they aren't paying for advertising. And in order to do business in the state, they have to be reputable. That's what your state insurance commissioner is paid to ensure.

Chris

USAA has a relationship with Progressive. There is a special USAA/Progressive telephone number: 877-689-9794. Once you have a Progressive policy on your motorcycle, USAA lists it on its coverage pages.

I had 2008 RT insured by USAA. The premium was high, but I've been with USAA since 1967, have had great experiences and decided not to shop around. Once I got a 2015 RT I was told to head over to the USAA office at Progressive. I've been a Progressive policy holder for three years, and each year the premium comes down. In Massachusetts I have very broad and deep coverage to complement my USAA Umbrella policy.

As to Progressive, I've not had to make a claim, and, of course, hope I never have to do so. They do seem pretty efficient, and always say the magic USAA initials when I call. Frankly, as a 50-year USAA member I can say it was about the brightest thing I did when I was 23 years old.

"Frankly, as a 50-year USAA member I can say it was about the brightest thing I did when I was 23 years old."

+1 USAA/Progressive (but only a 40 yr member - I'm just 61) :)

USAA has a relationship with Progressive. There is a special USAA/Progressive telephone number: 877-689-9794. Once you have a Progressive policy on your motorcycle, USAA lists it on its coverage pages.

I had 2008 RT insured by USAA. The premium was high, but I've been with USAA since 1967, have had great experiences and decided not to shop around. Once I got a 2015 RT I was told to head over to the USAA office at Progressive. I've been a Progressive policy holder for three years, and each year the premium comes down. In Massachusetts I have very broad and deep coverage to complement my USAA Umbrella policy.

As to Progressive, I've not had to make a claim, and, of course, hope I never have to do so. They do seem pretty efficient, and always say the magic USAA initials when I call. Frankly, as a 50-year USAA member I can say it was about the brightest thing I did when I was 23 years old.

Same for me.

Claims with Progressive experience

My brother rear ended me when I stopped at an intersection that had an on ramp and he didn't. We both had Progressive. The adjuster was very fair and I was able to repair the bike. Tropical storm Harvey flooded my home and my 09 GS and again the claim was fair. One thing I didn't like though, the ABS and Computer that were on the bike were considered accessories and ate up a lot of the accessories coverage I thought I had. Seems they consider anything that comes on your bike that is an option an accessory. I increased my accessory coverage on my newer bike a couple of thousand for just a little more money. Don't know if that is industry wide or just Progressive or just in Texas. But I still cleared enough money to buy a two year newer RT and have some extras I took off the GS that I will sell some day. I just renewed my policy at a slightly lower rate so there was no penalty.

Dairyland Insurance

I have had Dairyland Insurance ever since I bought a BMW K1300S for my collection. I had Progressive for over ten years and they quoted me an additional $1,000 for basic coverage! Went to Dairyland and my full coverage was under $200. I had a deer cycle mishap with my 2015 R1200RTw last April and Dairyland came through with repairs. I am a bit anxious as to my premiums next year....

Western Michigan.

Insure a home and vehicles all fully owned, no mortgage debts or liens. 15 year old Honda Civic. 25 year old Chevy 2WD truck. '83 BMW R65. '83 Puch moped.

I'm considering switching from Progressive to State Farm. I'm in the process of ferreting out the quoted details for accuracy, but my present agent has dinged me very very very very hard for a couple of brief payment lapses in the last two years. 30 years with them as an otherwise excellent customer. Home and auto.

Recently I went looking afield in town for another agent/company and State Farm quoted me almost 1/2 less!! than Progressive. 3400/yr vs 1850/yr. Same coverage levels on balance. I apprised the agent of my two lapses in coverage. State Farm was much lower in general, but a large part of the savings results from State Farm allowing nominal cost storage of my Honda Civic and my Chevy truck during the months that I ride motorcycle and scooter 99.99 percent of the time. They'll temporarily bind coverage on the civic in any emergency need I many have. Progressive required me to maintain full coverage on the vehicles in storage. State farm bills me 37 dollars/6mo for the Honda, and 17 dollars/6mo for the old Chevy. I think USAA told me that I needed variably 40 to 60 percent of coverage for vehicles in storage. Huge difference.

I'm aware that this State Farm agent may be dangling a carrot to sign me up and creep up the prices within a couple of years and I'll find myself back at square one. I intend to sit down with the owner (small office) and see if I can get some reassurance that this will not happen.

And yes, before anyone feels compelled to remind me, I am not trying to minimize my obligations for paying bills on time. I understand fully the importance and accept total responsibility for my actions. In this case I believe the level of costs/consequences exceeds the act.

I did contact USAA as well. I was in the AF from 81 to 87 with honorable discharge. I was hoping that might account for something substantial but it wasn't the case. USAA offered no savings over the rates that Progressive offered. Reading this thread now I'm not surprised. I did not know about their relationship. In any case I was astonished that USAA seemed less willing to accommodate members on storage since military familys would seem to be a demographic in great need of such services for frequent moves and deployments.

I'll weigh back in here should I decide to switch and relate how my conversation with the agency owner went.

Dairyland Cycle is awesome!

I just got a top-of-the-line Full Coverage from Dairyland® Cycle for my brand new R1200RT ($500 deductible w/ Bodily injury $50k/person up to $100k total per accident... Plus 24/7 Road Assistance, "Extended Warranty" OEM part replacements, Trip Interruption plan that covers hotel/food/car rental, Diminishing deductible option that allows my deductible to go down $300 next year and then $0 for the year after) - on top of that I also got a Liability Insurance for my Triumph -- The total premium for both bikes: $311.00!!! The entire process was surprisingly flawless and simple! Here's the contact for Dairyland® Cycle: Mark Bonk, Direct Sales Supervisor at 715-346-7303. Thanks Bobzeliff (Bridport VT) for recommending Dairyland® Cycle! :wow

I just got a top-of-the-line Full Coverage from Dairyland® Cycle for my brand new R1200RT ($500 deductible w/ Bodily injury $50k/person up to $100k total per accident... Plus 24/7 Road Assistance, "Extended Warranty" OEM part replacements, Trip Interruption plan that covers hotel/food/car rental, Diminishing deductible option that allows my deductible to go down $300 next year and then $0 for the year after) - on top of that I also got a Liability Insurance for my Triumph -- The total premium for both bikes: $311.00!!! The entire process was surprisingly flawless and simple! Here's the contact for Dairyland® Cycle: Mark Bonk, Direct Sales Supervisor at 715-346-7303. Thanks Bobzeliff (Bridport VT) for recommending Dairyland® Cycle! :wow

Did you get Uninsured Underinsured coverage for when the car driver that hits you has $25,000 maximum liability coverage? That might fix your bike but not cover your surgeries.

I know that here in Montana adding uninsured/underinsured coverage is quite expensive, but non-negotiable in my view. If the $311 insurance includes uninsured/underinsured coverage it is indeed a good deal; if not then it is much less so.

Dairyland Cycle Insurance

FYI, I did ask so many questions before purchasing Dairyland policy. I have a FULL COVERAGE on my brand-new bike -- Regardless who's at fault in an accident due to whatever circumstances Dairyland Cycle will replace my bike with a brand new one, plus I also got "Uninsured Under-insured coverage for $50k/person $100k/accident" ..... So yeah, $311 is a very good deal! :)

Back