Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Recommendation on Motorcycle Insurance Company

Exclamation Recommendation on Motorcycle Insurance Company

Good morning...
    I'm looking for a reliable company that strikes the best balance between affordability, great coverage, and financial stability. Can anyone with first-hand experience give insights/recommendations? Just found out that USAA doesn't carry motorcycle insurance anymore and I have to close on a new motorcycle this week. Thank you in advance!

wanderer
    There are several reliable big name insurance companies. Check out the MOA mag for adverts. Or see if Consumer Reports has any info.
    As to pricing / affordability...my recommendation is NOT to stay with the same company too long. They will let the price creep up. ..so shop often.
    Example I had Progressive for several years. Price crept up to $500 for two bikes. Called Dairy Land got the same coverage for just over $200.

Been with Progressive for a long time now. They handled one claim (deer collision) very fairly and it didn't affect my rates. I have checked pricing from time to time and have only been confirmed that my rates are competitive. Remember that every state and even zip code will have an impact on your insurance.
    Michael Stock, Trinity, NC
    R1100RT, R100, R60/6

Bend over

I get my insurance from geico not sure why think I checked with progressive and geico was less expensive. I have a 1994 R1100RS and a 1978 R100/7 I only get the liability and extra medical coverage cost $161.28/year. I was looking at a F800GS checked insurance cost for full coverage think it was about 200 also for 2 bikes. ( FYI cost $17 more to change coverage from 1980 Kawasaki KZ440 to the R100/7)

3 Red Bricks
    I've been very happy with Geico in both price and service.

LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

Ride Safe, Ride Far, Ride Often

Lee Fulton Forum Moderator
    3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

Call USAA and ask for the USAA agency desk phone number at Foremost.

Of course there are many factors that will affect price, but their service has been great for me.
    Bob Smith
    1998 R1200C
    2000 R1200C

I think what USAA is doing is not taking on new motorcycle insurance. I still have my /7 insurance with USAA but as Bob says, they have outsourced it. Not sure if they would transfer from one motorcycle to another new motorcycle as long as you only had one. When I tried to insure my R69S with them when I bought it, they said no, so I went with a more vintage oriented insurance company.
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Liberty Mutual

I have Liberty Mutual, for my car, home and motorcycle. Very happy with the service, price and responsiveness when I did have a collision (car). The human interactions have been positive, too.

I'd let your fingers do the searching. Does anyone have the "yellow pages" anymore? Anyway, look up some local independent insurance agents in the area. Tell them what you want, and then see what they come back with. They'll be representing several companies, not just one, and will find you the best deal they can offer.

And then for comparison purposes, do an online quote with one of the bigger name insurance companies.

Often, the independent agents can get you a better deal than the bigger name companies, simply because they aren't paying for advertising. And in order to do business in the state, they have to be reputable. That's what your state insurance commissioner is paid to ensure.

Chris
    Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT
    IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder
    John 14:6

I just switched from Foremost to Geico due to rate creep with Foremost.
    Ken Martin
    2011 R1200RT
    Kingsport, TN

USAA has a relationship with Progressive. There is a special USAA/Progressive telephone number: 877-689-9794. Once you have a Progressive policy on your motorcycle, USAA lists it on its coverage pages.

I had 2008 RT insured by USAA. The premium was high, but I've been with USAA since 1967, have had great experiences and decided not to shop around. Once I got a 2015 RT I was told to head over to the USAA office at Progressive. I've been a Progressive policy holder for three years, and each year the premium comes down. In Massachusetts I have very broad and deep coverage to complement my USAA Umbrella policy.

As to Progressive, I've not had to make a claim, and, of course, hope I never have to do so. They do seem pretty efficient, and always say the magic USAA initials when I call. Frankly, as a 50-year USAA member I can say it was about the brightest thing I did when I was 23 years old.
    John Gamel - BMW MOA Consumer Liaison 2018-Present
    2015 Ebony Metallic R1200RT
    MOA #153274
    "We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo-via Walt Kelly

"Frankly, as a 50-year USAA member I can say it was about the brightest thing I did when I was 23 years old."

+1 USAA/Progressive (but only a 40 yr member - I'm just 61)
    "Soló el que ensaya lo absurdo es capaz de conquistar lo imposible." Miguel de Unamuno 1905

Mark - Las Cruces, NM

Quote Originally Posted by ExGMan View Post
    USAA has a relationship with Progressive. There is a special USAA/Progressive telephone number: 877-689-9794. Once you have a Progressive policy on your motorcycle, USAA lists it on its coverage pages.

I had 2008 RT insured by USAA. The premium was high, but I've been with USAA since 1967, have had great experiences and decided not to shop around. Once I got a 2015 RT I was told to head over to the USAA office at Progressive. I've been a Progressive policy holder for three years, and each year the premium comes down. In Massachusetts I have very broad and deep coverage to complement my USAA Umbrella policy.

As to Progressive, I've not had to make a claim, and, of course, hope I never have to do so. They do seem pretty efficient, and always say the magic USAA initials when I call. Frankly, as a 50-year USAA member I can say it was about the brightest thing I did when I was 23 years old.
    Same for me.

P Monk

Claims with Progressive experience

My brother rear ended me when I stopped at an intersection that had an on ramp and he didn't. We both had Progressive. The adjuster was very fair and I was able to repair the bike. Tropical storm Harvey flooded my home and my 09 GS and again the claim was fair. One thing I didn't like though, the ABS and Computer that were on the bike were considered accessories and ate up a lot of the accessories coverage I thought I had. Seems they consider anything that comes on your bike that is an option an accessory. I increased my accessory coverage on my newer bike a couple of thousand for just a little more money. Don't know if that is industry wide or just Progressive or just in Texas. But I still cleared enough money to buy a two year newer RT and have some extras I took off the GS that I will sell some day. I just renewed my policy at a slightly lower rate so there was no penalty.
    P. Monk
    74 R90/6 (the Black Hole), 2011 R1200RT.

Dairyland Insurance

I have had Dairyland Insurance ever since I bought a BMW K1300S for my collection. I had Progressive for over ten years and they quoted me an additional $1,000 for basic coverage! Went to Dairyland and my full coverage was under $200. I had a deer cycle mishap with my 2015 R1200RTw last April and Dairyland came through with repairs. I am a bit anxious as to my premiums next year....
    '15 R1200RTw, '10 K1300S, '74 R90S
    Amateur Radio - KE8KF
    BMWMOA #5245