• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Recommendation on Motorcycle Insurance Company

So, to summarize, they're all good, some are better than others and some aren't so good.

Now, which oil is best?

:scratch

MCCA is a insurance through the State of Michigan so if you are in an accident and need major 24/7 care, your medical bills will be covered for life. Just renewed my auto and motorcycle insurance. It’s a $100.00 fee on each vehicle this year. It varies from year to year. Vintage vehicles pay way less. I remember one year the fee was almost as much as my motorcycle insurance. Hospitals can charge about what they wanted to from what I understand. There was insurance reform this year in Michigan. I think my agent told me that hospitals can charge 2% more now than Medicare pays through the MCCA program. It’s mandated and complicated, you just pay it. I’m still not clear if motorcycle accidents are eligible. I do remember one fact my agent told me, about 30% of Michigan drivers have no insurance. I am probably wrong on some of the facts of the MCCA insurance, but I know what I pay on it every year. It seems like I paying for people who don’t play by the rules.
Doug

Michigan insurance has so many moving parts, it is hard to understand. If your below Medicare age it is different than above Medicare age. If you ride a motorcycle there are additional coverage considerations over just driving a car. Furthermore, if your an active bicycle rider you have other coverage considerations in case you are hit by a driver or rider. On top of that, and I don 't know if this is only Medicare recipients, we need to verify every six months with USAA that we are still covered by Medicare Part A and B and still retired from the military and having TRICARE as our supplemental coverage. What are the chances that we will lose our Medicare coverage and I will unretire from the military? About the same chance that pigs will fly, in formation. I recently spoke to USAA on doing the six month verification on Medicare Part A and B and still retired from the military with Tricare. She said "are you loving Michigan?". She said they had to go thru a special training session to deal with Michigan Insurance issues. I wonder how people in their later years are coping with this. Makes you really dependent on your insurance agent. Maybe that was the objective?

Wayne Koppa
Grayling, MI
#71,449

Ideas for you and questions

Hi I am a serial BMW owner and also work in the collector car insurance business. If you are looking to insure a modern bike I personally am insured with Progressive. With a older K Bike (brick) or R bike (airhead) AND you also own a modern bike, the only real solution is collector insurance. I personally write for Hagerty, American Modern, and Grundy. I insure a number of older collections with quite a few BMWs in the mix.

Just for my bona fides, my first bike was a R50/5 Toaster, have owned around 30 other airheads and around 5 Brick K bikes. I judge motorcycles at Radnor Hunt for John Lawless, and at Hilton Head. my friends and references include Tim Stafford, John Landstrom, Tim Parker from Bonhams, and Nick Smith formerly of Bonhams. I love working with vintage bike guys.

My current bikes are a 1973 R75/5, a 2009 R1200GS, a 2002 Triumph Bonneville, and a 2008 Ducati Multistrada 1100S and always looking for another.

I know valuations of classic motorcycles and understand them at a fundamental level. If you need any help please feel free to message me as I always like to meet other motorcycle people especially BMW owners.

my email is andy@haydenwood.com feel free to reach out with questions or just to chat.

Andy

Insurance

Call USAA and ask for the USAA agency desk phone number at Foremost.

Of course there are many factors that will affect price, but their service has been great for me.

I have been a member of USAA since 1978 and have insured all my cars with them; however, years ago when I called USAA RE: motorcycle coverage they forwarded me to Progressive. I have been using Progressive for my RV and my motorcycles. Fortunately, I have not needed to call them for a claim. The pricing seems fair and because I have used them for several years I get a better rate.

I hope this helps,

Craig

Progressive coverage with tow and trip interruption experience

I was returning from the 2021 Great Falls Rally. Heading home Sunday to the Olympia WA area on a 2014 1200RT. Near Post Falls ID I had a red warning light pointing to an electric system fault. Checked system voltage and it reported 10.9 or 11 volts and as I watched it was dropping. From a prior experience I thought I lost the alternator($). Got off next exit. To make a long story short, contacted Progressive and after some adventures they authorized a tow across the state of Washington to my usual dealer in Tacoma WA. 311 miles or more. My SO picked me up at the dealer and I was home before midnight Sunday. I was amazed and very happy. Even more happy to find out later that it was not the alternator($) but that the record heat had murdered the battery.

As always, this was only my experience and your mileage may well differ but I am very pleased with my interaction with Progressive.

In the US, I've been very pleased with Allstate Insurance. Their rates are competitive here in South Carolina (although I'm new here, having moved from S. FL in Dec 2020).

YMMV.

Cheers,
--Slipstream

Last edited:
BTW, sir, are you familiar with the RAF pilot Douglas Bader, whose callsign was "Dogsbody"?

My hero growing up.

Cheers,
--Slipstream

Back