Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Recommendation on Motorcycle Insurance Company

Western Michigan.

Insure a home and vehicles all fully owned, no mortgage debts or liens. 15 year old Honda Civic. 25 year old Chevy 2WD truck. '83 BMW R65. '83 Puch moped.

I'm considering switching from Progressive to State Farm. I'm in the process of ferreting out the quoted details for accuracy, but my present agent has dinged me very very very very hard for a couple of brief payment lapses in the last two years. 30 years with them as an otherwise excellent customer. Home and auto.

Recently I went looking afield in town for another agent/company and State Farm quoted me almost 1/2 less!! than Progressive. 3400/yr vs 1850/yr. Same coverage levels on balance. I apprised the agent of my two lapses in coverage. State Farm was much lower in general, but a large part of the savings results from State Farm allowing nominal cost storage of my Honda Civic and my Chevy truck during the months that I ride motorcycle and scooter 99.99 percent of the time. They'll temporarily bind coverage on the civic in any emergency need I many have. Progressive required me to maintain full coverage on the vehicles in storage. State farm bills me 37 dollars/6mo for the Honda, and 17 dollars/6mo for the old Chevy. I think USAA told me that I needed variably 40 to 60 percent of coverage for vehicles in storage. Huge difference.

I'm aware that this State Farm agent may be dangling a carrot to sign me up and creep up the prices within a couple of years and I'll find myself back at square one. I intend to sit down with the owner (small office) and see if I can get some reassurance that this will not happen.

And yes, before anyone feels compelled to remind me, I am not trying to minimize my obligations for paying bills on time. I understand fully the importance and accept total responsibility for my actions. In this case I believe the level of costs/consequences exceeds the act.

I did contact USAA as well. I was in the AF from 81 to 87 with honorable discharge. I was hoping that might account for something substantial but it wasn't the case. USAA offered no savings over the rates that Progressive offered. Reading this thread now I'm not surprised. I did not know about their relationship. In any case I was astonished that USAA seemed less willing to accommodate members on storage since military familys would seem to be a demographic in great need of such services for frequent moves and deployments.

I'll weigh back in here should I decide to switch and relate how my conversation with the agency owner went.

Cool Dairyland Cycle is awesome!

I just got a top-of-the-line Full Coverage from Dairyland® Cycle for my brand new R1200RT ($500 deductible w/ Bodily injury $50k/person up to $100k total per accident... Plus 24/7 Road Assistance, "Extended Warranty" OEM part replacements, Trip Interruption plan that covers hotel/food/car rental, Diminishing deductible option that allows my deductible to go down $300 next year and then $0 for the year after) - on top of that I also got a Liability Insurance for my Triumph -- The total premium for both bikes: $311.00!!! The entire process was surprisingly flawless and simple! Here's the contact for Dairyland® Cycle: Mark Bonk, Direct Sales Supervisor at 715-346-7303. Thanks Bobzeliff (Bridport VT) for recommending Dairyland® Cycle!

Quote Originally Posted by Moe13 View Post
    I just got a top-of-the-line Full Coverage from Dairyland® Cycle for my brand new R1200RT ($500 deductible w/ Bodily injury $50k/person up to $100k total per accident... Plus 24/7 Road Assistance, "Extended Warranty" OEM part replacements, Trip Interruption plan that covers hotel/food/car rental, Diminishing deductible option that allows my deductible to go down $300 next year and then $0 for the year after) - on top of that I also got a Liability Insurance for my Triumph -- The total premium for both bikes: $311.00!!! The entire process was surprisingly flawless and simple! Here's the contact for Dairyland® Cycle: Mark Bonk, Direct Sales Supervisor at 715-346-7303. Thanks Bobzeliff (Bridport VT) for recommending Dairyland® Cycle!
    Did you get Uninsured Underinsured coverage for when the car driver that hits you has $25,000 maximum liability coverage? That might fix your bike but not cover your surgeries.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

I know that here in Montana adding uninsured/underinsured coverage is quite expensive, but non-negotiable in my view. If the $311 insurance includes uninsured/underinsured coverage it is indeed a good deal; if not then it is much less so.
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

Smile Dairyland Cycle Insurance

FYI, I did ask so many questions before purchasing Dairyland policy. I have a FULL COVERAGE on my brand-new bike -- Regardless who's at fault in an accident due to whatever circumstances Dairyland Cycle will replace my bike with a brand new one, plus I also got "Uninsured Under-insured coverage for $50k/person $100k/accident" ..... So yeah, $311 is a very good deal!

Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    I know that here in Montana adding uninsured/underinsured coverage is quite expensive, but non-negotiable in my view. If the $311 insurance includes uninsured/underinsured coverage it is indeed a good deal; if not then it is much less so.
    It costs us 4 times what the liability costs but we still carry it on the bikes. About 25% of Texas drivers have no or just minimal insurance - and it is worth is some surrounding states.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Progressive seems best

Progressive insures both my bikes, 1978 R100s Motorsport, and 1968 R60US for a little over 200/year.....great deal.
    The kicker is the "agreed value" on the policy. In the event of a total loss, they pay the agreed value....not the "book"value, which is likely
    very small, if they could even find one for such old bikes.
    The agreed value is a number I gave them and they accepted, not outrageously high, just what I feel they are worth.
    And no, that value would not replace either bike.
    Bob...............in Vermont