• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Motorcycle Hypermiling?

More like a group of fat girls competing to be most virtuous, tbh. Most motorcycles get better fuel economy than cagers, due to lighter weight, although greater coefficient of drag. Fully-faired Hondas like the CTX700 can beat out Priuses. The G650GS was the most fuel efficient middle-weight bike BMW had, and I had gotten tired of my CBR250R ABS deathtrap.

Given that BMW sells to a higher market segment than most motorcycle companies, and that BMW gets more than its fair share of people in the finance industry, having bikes for people concerned with fuel economy is not a bad idea. Of course, BMW seems to be going more the electric scooter route to satisfy that market, and for the greenies, electric is more in than hybrid.

Last edited:
for the greenies, electric is more in than hybrid.

But not practical for most people. With my plug-in hybrid I get fantastic mpg's but no restriction on range. Living in a rural area, many of my trips are simply too long for an electric vehicle and I am not about to own an additional vehicle to be more green than I already am. Plug-in hybrid is the sensible choice if you want to be green.

More like a group of fat girls competing to be most virtuous, tbh. Most motorcycles get better fuel economy than cagers, due to lighter weight, although greater coefficient of drag. Fully-faired Hondas like the CTX700 can beat out Priuses. The G650GS was the most fuel efficient middle-weight bike BMW had, and I had gotten tired of my CBR250R ABS deathtrap.

Given that BMW sells to a higher market segment than most motorcycle companies, and that BMW gets more than its fair share of people in the finance industry, having bikes for people concerned with fuel economy is not a bad idea. Of course, BMW seems to be going more the electric scooter route to satisfy that market, and for the greenies, electric is more in than hybrid.

I use to commute 135 miles per day on my older Honda Silverwing (shaft drive, transverse twin), so I spent a lot of time thinking and checking to see what would make a difference in increasing MPG. My right wrist was the biggest thing that I could control. On that bike, taking off the side bags didn't make much difference, nor did the top box. I assume that you've covered your bases already with the easy stuff? Good tire pressure, air filter, spark plugs, etc.? I'd also look at removing any excess weight that you can live without - passenger pegs, unused mounting brackets. Your windshield choice will also have big consequences. Also, have you dropped all the weight that you can too? :)

I wonder if I can get some tips; on my G650GS, I tend to average around 60 mpg, which is solely average.

I've owned 4 650 singles and averaged 70mpg on all of them without giving it a second thought. I couldn't enjoy riding if I put as much thought into conserving fuel as you :laugh:laugh:laugh: However, I'm probably not as fast as you.

I've owned 4 650 singles and averaged 70mpg on all of them without giving it a second thought. I couldn't enjoy riding if I put as much thought into conserving fuel as you :laugh:laugh:laugh: However, I'm probably not as fast as you.

Correct answer: the fastest way to improve MPG is to lower rider weight. :) When I hear about the mileage you're getting, I just assume you're more in shape than I am. :)

And of course, the important thing is that in the first world, motorcycling is all about fun. When I was running the CBR250R, I talked with a UChicago Ph.D in working retirement. He was impressed that the motorcycle had better fuel economy than his Prius, but then I brought up the Expected Value loss from the increased mortality risk. In the first world, for that reason, motorcycling never makes economic sense unless you're trying to defraud a life insurance company. So all motorcycling is about fun, we just have different types of fun.

Back