Thread: Backpack for commuting

Backpack for commuting

Trying to commute on my 9T with virtually no storage. I have never used a backpack on a bike so Iím looking for info. I work in the medical field so I need shoes, scrubs, iPad, charging cables, stethoscope, lab coat etc.
    is there anyone commuting on a standard, or naked without storage? Looking for insight from those that have been there.
    Thanks
    2017 RnineT
    2004 1150RT

3 Red Bricks
    Sal,

How about some retro leather saddlebags that toss over the seat? Might look good on a 9T.

LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

Ride Safe, Ride Far, Ride Often

Lee Fulton Forum Moderator
    3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

'99 '03 '06 National Co-Rally Chair Friedle's Avatar
    How about a tank bag instead? I am not real fond of carrying hard objects in a backpack. You mentioned you are in the medical field so you can probably imagine the effect of possibly coming off your bike at speed with hard objects in a backpack right against your spine.

Friedle
    Ride fast safely

Look at the Aerostich Courier Bags!!
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

I prefer a small tail bag to either a tank bag or a backpack. Anything on your back can get uncomfortably warm in summer. There will be lots of choices for small tail bags with the only problem being how to attach them to your bike.

Good luck.
    Royce
    On the coast of Kansas
    2012 F800ST

A lot of choices at Revzilla.
    Some have reviews.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle-...RoCiREQAvD_BwE
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Bag

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Look at the Aerostich Courier Bags!!
    Stylish man purse when you are off the bike, plus many stores make you check a backpack but let you carry a purse.

Spend some time in the backpack aisle of Staples or Office Depot if you must have a backpack. There are several with built-in protective sleeves for your electronics and decent main body compartments for your scrubs etc. The target audience is road warriors flying with a carryon and the backpack going under the seat.

When I commuted with my R 1150 R, my preference was a combination of a medium-sized courier bag for computers and office items, and either a tank bag or small duffel for clothing. I found breaking the two sets of gear made it easier to stash the duffel while the courier bag worked as my briefcase.
    Pass the mustard and UP THE REVOLUTION!

I've never been a fan of commuting with a backpack. Not that I haven't done it many times, but it gets old after a while. I prefer to have some sort of storage on the bike where I can toss my laptop and other personal items. Take a look at some of the advice above and select a solution that fits your need and sense of aesthetics.

I will qualify what I just said with this: when I head to the mountains to go hiking I wear my day pack/hydration pack while riding the bike because it won't fit in my luggage and, as it turns out, being able to sip water while riding is actually pretty good.

Plenty of choices but at the 50k foot level my choice is to use a sling type (1 diagonal strap) pack. I have commuted with both the conventional backpack and a sling pack and prefer the sling. Slightly less stable than a 2 strap pack but much more stable than a courier bag which I find tends to move around too much. Sling pack is very easy on & off even over a helmet which makes life less complicated.
    Talmadge Wright
    '12 R1200 GSA
    '14 R nine T

There's only one messenger bag or backpack to consider is: Chrome Industries

Originally developed for bicycle couriers.

I've had mine (and used it for commuting) for 15 years. It's been through one motorcycle crash and a couple wipeouts on my bicycle. They feature a waterproof liner, ballistic nylon, sweet safety belt for on/off and adjustment, lifetime warranty (used once when a 1" area of my stitching came undone), made in the USA, reflective webbing, etc.

Like the Aerostich one, you can sling it to the side to get some more ventilation if needed, but then swing it right on to your back for more comfort when you're walking around.

People will constantly ask about the seat belt buckle and you'll totally up your hipster cred... but they are amazing!!

Name:  chrm_citizen_greyblack_10_m.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  13.7 KB
    1995 BMW K75s - 100k and climbing!
    2007 BMW R1200RT - 62k
    2009 BMW G650GS - 22k and ready for Alaska!

Quote Originally Posted by drneo66 View Post
    There's only one messenger bag or backpack to consider is: [URL="https://www.chromeindustries.com/"]Chrome Industries
    I second this. Iíve had mine for 10 years - durable, waterproof and expansive if need be, nearly flat and streamlined when empty.

Registered User RIDERR1150GSADV's Avatar
    MOA # 108516
    Current ride 2018 R1200 GSA Triple Black
    Past rides '04 R1150RT, '05 K1200LT, '06 R1150GSA, Ď17 R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by lasnin View Post
    They have a U.S. site:

https://kriega.us/backpacks
    "Solů el que ensaya lo absurdo es capaz de conquistar lo imposible." Miguel de Unamuno 1905

Mark - Las Cruces, NM - '10 K1300S and '17 R1200 GSA