• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Sidecarist needed

ragtoplvr

Hi

My daughter is disabled and lives in a group home in Indianola, very close to Van Wall Powersports.

She has foam positioning chair we use to give her stability. It will for example fit an a Ural. Several years ago she did ride in Ural, and she still talks about that.

If anyone would be interested in riding down to Indianola with me and helping her to go for a ride during the rally please PM me. Just around town a bit, 30 or 45 minutes, you will get to see a very happy girl and her dad I will of course pay your gas, buy you dinner, beers in the beer garden etc. I have a helmet for her.

Yes, I know, a side car is on the list of things to get when I retire. I would prefer an experienced sidecar pilot since the handling is"somewhat different". She will only be about a 120 LB load in the chair, and just getting to ride will be thrill enough, we don't need no hard core off roading or flying the chair.

No pressure, I have not told her so if no one volunteers she will never know about it.

Rod

Wish I had a sidecar rig

Hi ragtoplvr: Your request really hit home with me. I have a mentally handicapped brother (happened at birth in 1957) and I know what it means to him when I take him out in my SUV every week for a ride. Kudos to you for reaching out. I am hoping someone can help out, as it will really make her year.

Rod - I'm really hoping someone with an open Ural-style tub can help. My Hannigan has been modified to meet my service dog's needs to the point my wife refuses to ride with me. (Just as well as her screams of terror are really annoying!) I'm also not sure how Tulliver would react to me riding away without him after a lifetime of being trained to not leave my side. I'm reaching out via PM to some fellow sidecarists with rigs that might be more accommodating.

Paws crossed.

Pete

What state is this town in. If it is Mississippi. I am about 130 miles away with a Ural.

Don

ragtoplvr, I'll have my rig there. I would love to help you out any way I can.

Tracy McCarty
BMW MOA Director

Last edited:
Sidecar Fun!

We are in contact with each other and are working out the details of this endeavor.
It is my pleasure to help in anyway that I can. :dance

Well we need someone with a seating width of 24 inches in the chair. Marilla uses a foam positioning chair with some seatbelt straps to control the position of her upper body. She has no ability to balance on her own, the chair does a real good job of providing that.

I have not told her about this, so if nothing happens she will never know.
Rod

Well? Were you guys able to make this happen?

If so, please post a picture or two and a brief rundown.

:dance:dance:dance

Well? Were you guys able to make this happen?

If so, please post a picture or two and a brief rundown.

:dance:dance:dance

Hope it worked out. The last time I spoke with Tracy they were still looking for a car with a larger seat.

Unfortunately, no. I met Rod at the hotel we shared. Super nice guy! While there were several volunteers, none had hacks with the necessary width.

Back