Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: HD responds to EU tariffs

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lkraus View Post
    The Japanese did sell what we wanted, but in the early '80s they were shipping bikes to the the U.S in numbers that far exceeded demand. Which is why I had my choice of several different new 1982 models at my Yamaha, Kawasaki and Honda dealers in 1984.
    And, there was a class-action suit with Honda for selling year old (manufacturer date/vin) bikes the next year as “new”.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

If you are looking to buy a "new" 1 to 3 year old bike, now is the time. Just checked Cycle Trader and there are thousands available.

Yes there were lots of unsold Japanese bikes available in the early 80's.
    My guess is the surplus was a result of competition between the brands, poor planning, and a downturn in demand, not a nefarious diabolical plan.

My first new bike was a '72 Bultaco purchased in '73.
    Second new bike was a '77 Yamaha purchased in '78.
    Third new bike was a '77 Triumph purchased in '78. (wanted a Duc or BMW but they were twice the price)
    From memory there have been 1, 2, & 3 year old bikes available from most manufacturers many of the years in the last 4 decades. (they are not always on display in the showroom)

The word "dumping", and term "flooding the market" were used at the time to justify the tariffs.
    Triumph, Norton, BSA & many others were trying to sell 10 to 20 year old technology.
    Most went out of business.

I'm going shopping for an 8 track tape now.
    Sayonara!

The Revenue Marine was created by recommendation of the Secretary of the Treasury Alexander Hamilton in 1790, a year after the Customs Service because the 10 Customs Houses at the ports of entry were not being "visited" by all the merchant ships.
    Last edited by tanker4me; 07-06-2018 at 04:32 AM.
    We are all here for a spell, get all the good laughs you can.
    Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    I'd prefer my BMW made in the location with the highest quality assembly..........Rod.
    Assembly quality is a product of the assembly design engineering and quality implementation and has little to nothing to do with location.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

Probably hidden in all the fake/not fake news is the fact HD may find lower labor costs at their new location.

This is more the reason BMW and Mercedes have USA plants, benefitting from lower wages in SE USA and also from NAFTA with lots of made in Mexico parts. That, and more Americans buy SUVs than Europeans and SUVs are big and heavy to ship so why not build them here? Audi, VW, and FCA (Dodge) have Mexican production facilities as well and VW, once in Pennsylvania, is now in Kentucky for some models, including the big Atlas SUV.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

Quote Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
    Assembly quality is a product of the assembly design engineering and quality implementation and has little to nothing to do with location.
    Right, and in the case of BMW staff training for Motorrad assembly when opening a new plant has been done at the Berlin plant. Staff spent a minimum of six months in Berlin for orientation and training before going back to set up their plant when the South American assembly of was subcontracted, and when the BMW owned Manaus plant was built and opened. Quality then becomes a function of the willingness to maintain training, equipment, standards for materials and processes, rather than location.
    Pass the mustard and UP THE REVOLUTION!

New old bikes

Quote Originally Posted by tanker4me View Post
    If you are looking to buy a "new" 1 to 3 year old bike, now is the time. Just checked Cycle Trader and there are thousands available.

Yes there were lots of unsold Japanese bikes available in the early 80's.
    My guess is the surplus was a result of competition between the brands, poor planing, and a downturn in demand, not a nefarious diabolical plan.

My first new bike was a '72 Bultaco purchased in '73.
    Second new bike was a '77 Yamaha purchased in '78.
    Third new bike was a '77 Triumph purchased in '78. (wanted a Duc or BMW but they were twice the price)
    From memory there have been 1, 2, & 3 year old bikes available from most manufacturers many of the years in the last 4 decades. (they are not always on display in the showroom)

The word "dumping", and term "flooding the market" were used at the time to justify the tariffs.
    Triumph, Norton, BSA & many others were trying to sell 10 to 20 year old technology.
    Most went out of business.

I'm going shopping for an 8 track tape now.
    Sayonara!

The Revenue Marine was created by recommendation of the Secretary of the Treasury Alexander Hamilton in 1790, a year after the Customs Service because the Customs Houses at the ports of entry were not being "visited" by all the merchant ships.

Interestingly enough this is how I wound up with my RT. I was looking to trade in my ST1300 on a new Goldwing in 2010. The Honda dealer wanted to sell me a new, in the crate, 2 year old Goldwing that was exactly what I wanted for sticker. Not being happy with this idea, I started looking around and ended up test driving both a GSA and an RT. Bought the RT and have been super happy ever since. And for quite a bit less dough I might add.

Jerry
    Best Regards,
    Jerry Trepanier
    Galesburg, MI
    2006 ST1300, 2010 R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by tanker4me View Post
    If you are looking to buy ...
    The critical part of this story that has fallen by the wayside. People are not buying new motorcycles in growing numbers within the U.S. Since 2008, H-D has been consolidating production because it did not have the sales to support the empire they had built up before December 2008. The expansion to foreign markets was long planned. Before 2008 it was an expansion plan. The goal to conquer new markets. Now, it is a survival plan.

Tariffs, taxes, fees, and all the other are blunt socio-economic government policy tools for cities, states, and nations. They don't buy the products. They don't produce the products. They crudely impact both.
    Pass the mustard and UP THE REVOLUTION!

Quote Originally Posted by AKsuited View Post
    Currently, vehicles shipped from Europe to the US face a low 2.5% tariff. Meanwhile, cars built in America face a 10% tariff when they're shipped to the European Union.

From: http://money.cnn.com/2018/05/24/news...gen/index.html

If not free trade, how about fair trade?
    What isn't being said is that the numbers you quote are only half the story.
    The US today isn't really a car market, it's a light truck market. Trucks and SUVs are two of every three vehicles sold. The US slaps a 25% tariff on all imported light trucks, which is why no one actually tries to import them in large numbers, and why Detroit's automakers "own" the light truck business.
    Light trucks imported into Europe are only hit with the same 10% tariff.
    Fair trade?