• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

resting / stretching legs on R1100R boxer?

tedsalt

1998 R1100R SE ABS
I get cramped riding on my R1100R, even with lowered pegs and the seat on the highest setting.

Does anyone here rest their legs on the boxer motor? I do occasionally for short periods of time, but melted a hole in the back of my Sidi waterproof boots doing this.

Can anyone recommend for / against this practice, and if you do, are you wearing tall thick leather boots, half chaps, or nomex pants / socks :) , or how are you keeping your legs and clothing and footwear intact ?

Exactly. And they're way too pricey for you get IMHO. I'm keeping an eye on this thread hoping someone has a better (and less expensive) solution...
Or..... it's time to get the welder out.

I have a set of the Elf pegs from a bike I sold. They do help! You can lay you foot on top or against as designed.
Pegs fit: (single spark) BMW R1100RT, R1100RS, R1100GS, R1100R, R1100S, R1150GS, R1150RS, R1150R, R1150RT

$175. plus shipping. CONUS ONLY

I have done this once or twice recently. I will do this more. Thanks Suds!
In the state of Tennessee, that is now illegal...maybe others too. A few years back, during the heavy "Stunting" days they passed a law saying you can't take your butt off the seat. I don't understand why they had to do that, since you can write someone up for doing a wheelie as reckless...but, they did.

In the state of Tennessee, that is now illegal...maybe others too. A few years back, during the heavy "Stunting" days they passed a law saying you can't take your butt off the seat. I don't understand why they had to do that, since you can write someone up for doing a wheelie as reckless...but, they did.

Because most state legislators are not the brightest bulbs in the box. GS riders better be careful at Lebanon for the 2019 Rally.

I have a set of the Elf pegs from a bike I sold. They do help! You can lay you foot on top or against as designed.
Pegs fit: (single spark) BMW R1100RT, R1100RS, R1100GS, R1100R, R1100S, R1150GS, R1150RS, R1150R, R1150RT

$175. plus shipping. CONUS ONLY
A reminder- we keep commerce off the forum as there is no cleanup.....An offer like this could be here for years and someone seeing it will be looking for these parts.....You know, like the bulletin board at the supermarket with years old postings.
OM

A reminder- we keep commerce off the forum as there is no cleanup.....An offer like this could be here for years and someone seeing it will be looking for these parts.....You know, like the bulletin board at the supermarket with years old postings.
OM

Got ya!

ATTENTION WEB MODERATOR and tedsalt...My private message isnt working!!!

Last edited:
Got ya!

ATTENTION WEB MODERATOR and tedsalt...My private message isnt working!!!

I just sent you a message. Pretty rare it doesn't work although there is a setting that would block all member messages.
OM

Last edited:
I know its old but might help someone. I got a 2008 RT and had those elf foot rests as shown above. just didn't care for the way they mounted and the weight they would carry with my big sz 12s. so I got a set of engine bars that have the foot peg on it. they are from wonderlust and the foot peg is more rearward and slightly below the heads. so my heal sits on these pegs and my toes sit on the elf rests. I still don't use them much for under 400mi days but on those 600 700 800 mile days anything helps and you get tired of stopping every 75-100mi. and you got about 700$ tied up in a straddling a 30gal drum setup.
still makes me long for the running boards and hiway pegs of my Harley.

I don't do any long distance riding yet and may never for health reasons but I'm getting cramps in my calfs, and upper side quads bad enough I have to stop and walk and massage them out. I thought about keeping Gatorade with me but then you have to stop and pee, I'm down in south Tx close to Galveston and Houston and take a lot of short rides, I made some hi way bars that would attach the lower head bolt but your lower leg would still touch the head and that gets damn hot as the back end sticks out so far. I've looked at ilium's bars, they're designed well, but I have a 09 1200rt and want the bars lower than just under the head and there's no reason that can't happen. I'm not happy with my feet and legs staying the same place all the time and not used to it at all, I'm used to riding wings and Harley's where there is more adjustment and placement for bars, don't hold your breathe but I've got to figure something out, may take a while and it won't cost an arm and leg since I can't afford much, I'm a quite low income person and of course I won't be buying them but others can't afford so much, I'd like all to be comfortable with yer feet out the way Harley riders are. Saw a man the other day on his new Harley, how'd I know it was new, it had a screen on the control panel, he had front controls for his legs, I was so damn jealous, I used to ride that way but my legs were lower, at the bottom rung where the bars stick out from where they are attached.

well jyme ya may have to join me in getting yourself a Harley too. so on those long LONG mile rides of lots of interstate miles I ride the Electraglide classic. it really is one comfortable bike with an airhawk an backrest im good for lots of 6,7,800mile days in a row. and when im in these mountains I roll the RT. yea I still do several couple thousand mile trips on the RT a yr. just get used to stopping and walking and streaching every 100or so mile. if you can handle the added hight I put a wide Harley airhawk air pad under an Alaska wool seat cover and it has helped more than anything. but is about an inch higher now. but I ride about 15K a yr on the RT so about anything helps the butt when you roll lots of miles. But still streaching and walkin breaks are a must.... Enjoy the bike man they are fantastic..... also I got myself a back support belt a trip ago and it seems to help too

Well, I'm with you on needing to stretch my legs. I'm "Vertically Challenged" and even the tall setting on my seat (r850r) is still uncomfortable on long runs. I sometimes just rest my legs on the cylinders but in the summer it could be bad. I have no engine guards so I guess I need to figure out something to fab.

There used to be several vendors making footrests for Oilheads, harder to find new but available used if you look
Most have an issue if you hit them hard in a drop. A GS style engine guard is the better mousetrap, though mounting pegs outboard will eventually have a broken footrest at some point.
Getting off and stretching and hydration in spite of having to stop is pretty important as is basic stamina gained thru exercise and saddle time.

The Talon Hawk was a simple design bolted to valve covers that many folks used. My concern is some folks already crank the cover bolts down past snug and have stripped the threads. Works for some without issues.
set-of-talon-hawk-highway-peg-brackets-w-pegs-for-all-oilheads-3.jpg

Oilhead valve covers were never designed to have foot pegs hanging off them. The screws that hold them were designed brilliantly IMO compared to airhead valve covers. They bottom out exactly when they are just tight enough to hold the covers on and the very long lasting gaskets are part of that design. To install these things you defeat that design and encourage leaks and stripped threads in very expensive heads.

Not a fan of the Talon pegs at all.

Stretching for me on long rides involves standing up on my pegs and stopping every hour or two max and walking around for a bit to stretch out and get the blood flowing. I've found sitting on a bike with legs outstretched forward of my center of gravity to be unsafe.

YMMV of course and these opinions are worth what they cost of course!

Back