Thread: 2002 BMW K1200LT Cruise Control and Kill Switch Issues

2002 BMW K1200LT Cruise Control and Kill Switch Issues

On the above bike my cruise has stopped. Its not lighting up the yellow dash light but the redlight on the switch is lighting up. It was erratic before but now has stopped completely. I read a little and understand there are multiple factors to this units operation. Do the above signs point me in one particular direction?

I broke the red lever part of the kill switch ( the round dial part remains) years ago on the other side and purchased the entire assembly used a year or so back and its got wires everywhere and I hesitated to pull it out in fear of creating a bigger problem chasing all the wires and connections. However, the wire going into the assembly for the kill switch is held there by a snaptie, ( small black) and I am wondering what I will find if I just cut the snap tie and look inside. Will I find that its an easy snap together part and I don't have to replace all the other wires in the whole assembly? I don't want to disturb the switch assembly if the moment I pull it apart everything falls apart .. I can envision it being worse or very easy. Anyone know what the inside of the assembly looks like and what I will encounter if I cut the snap ties?

Paul ( MT)

Quote Originally Posted by mslacool View Post
    On the above bike my cruise has stopped. Its not lighting up the yellow dash light but the redlight on the switch is lighting up. It was erratic before but now has stopped completely. I read a little and understand there are multiple factors to this units operation. Do the above signs point me in one particular direction?

Paul ( MT)
    Check the micro switches at the front and rear brake controls. If either has failed or is misadjusted cruise will not engage. Incorrect throttle cable adjustment can also cause the cruise to fail to engage. Those are relatively easy things to check before you start suspecting a bad cruise unit. The pattern of intermittency leading to total failure to engage really points to the microswitches for me.

Best,
    DG
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST 1984 R80 G/S PD 1993 R100GS 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C 2010 K1300GT
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider View Post
    Check the micro switches at the front and rear brake controls. If either has failed or is misadjusted cruise will not engage. Incorrect throttle cable adjustment can also cause the cruise to fail to engage. Those are relatively easy things to check before you start suspecting a bad cruise unit. The pattern of intermittency leading to total failure to engage really points to the microswitches for me.

Best,
    DG
    What he said.
    My thoughts exactly.

Please let us know if we're right.

Thank you I did not know you responded til Just now.

I will check it thanks
    Paul