• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

GPS for Route 66

taimeister

Not sure if this has been asked before. I am planning a trip on the famous Route 66 for next summer. My understanding that the route is fragmented and can be difficult to find. I am wondering if anyone has GPS waypoints for POI, lodging or other useful information that s/he could share.

Any other suggestions for the trip would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

TC

I did Rte 66 a few years back. Without GPS. Paper maps and watching the road signs only. Had no trouble following the route, but you do have to be alert, especially in urban areas, for what seem like meaningless turns. The old route frequently seems like it simply went around city blocks and circled areas in small towns just because … well, just because. Frustrating but lots of fun at the same time. I think you will enjoy the ride all the way to the Santa Monica pier.

Good luck.

TC -

Check some of the threads in the Similar Threads pane below. In one older thread, I found this post:

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?69142-Route-66-riding&p=910605&viewfull=1#post910605

Then I did a general internet search and found these:

https://www.historic66.com/faq/gps.php

https://www.tomtom.com/en_us/routes/details/united-states/route-66/

You might look a little deeper for more sites on a search of the interwebs. Good luck!

Thank you for the info and the link. I was able to download some GPX data and started to plan for next year trip. I think I may be overly ambitious.... :D

Attachments

• BaseCamp.pdf
    247.2 KB · Views: 18
Route 66 for much of the ride west of OKC, is the concrete access road beside I-40. R66 is complete with expansion cracks every 16.5ft and broken concrete sections. My suggestion: Since your planning well ahead of your planned trip, make note of the sections where Rte 66 & I-40 diverge (between towns). Take those sections where R66 isn't the access road. For most of the ride, stay on I-40. Next sections to follow -- Business Rte I-40 through the old towns. BR I-40 is Old Rte 66 for the most part, and goes by all those stores/motels/etcetera you've seen in the R66 books and on the R66 website. Oh, and don't forget going by the "Corner in Winslow, AZ".

You'll be glad you did! But most of all, enjoy the planning (don't overplan), and enjoy the ride!

Back