• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Angled Valve Stems

sterob

My front valve stem on my 02 R1150RS is leaking around the slide. I assume its torn. It may have been caused by me trying to get the tyre inflator to seat properly when I check my tyres.
Its probably original.
I was thinking of fitting an angled version next time so inflations are alot easier.

Anybody have any thoughts on if they are a good idea or not?

I've not used them before.

Thanks
Steve

Right Angle Valve .jpg

I would stay stock. The angled stems are ok but any protrusion past the rim can be a problem.
Some of the imported stems can be troublesome.
Let us know how you make out.
OM

Some info here...

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?23533-Angled-valve-stems

Some things to be careful of during the installation. Torque on the aluminum threads is quite low. I use an inch-lb. torque wrench on them. Some BMW wheels have an interference on the top side. You can file away either the wheel ridge or the sides of the stem.

The main problem that you are experiencing is that you ran the rubber ones way too long. I replace rubber stems every other tire. The advantage to rubber stems is that you get a new schrader vavle with each one and you have no issues of fit, torque, or the rubber seat under the metal stem eventually deteriorating. With short rubber stems you can reach them with an inflation chuck just fine. There are some inferior rubber stems around as well if you try to see how cheap you can buy them on FleaBay. Otherwise, quality rubber stems, changed regularly, are probably the most robust solution. You are very fortunate they failed at home and didn't let go on the road causing a flat and possible loss of control. I have friend who had one fail on the road and he got out all his fancy tire repair tools only to find that the valve was the problem. He did not have a spare valve with him, and even of he did, he didn't have the equipment to break and reseat the bead for installation. Changing the stem when he changed the tire would have prevented the entire adventure.

If you have on of those valve top aftermarket tire pressure monitors then you will need short, straight metal steel stems. I don't care for those sensors because they hold the Schrader valve open and thereby create the opportunity for problems.

I would stay stock. The angled stems are ok but any protrusion past the rim can be a problem.
Some of the imported stems can be troublesome.
Let us know how you make out.
OM

Yes,,,I was wondering about that. I was thinking of angling the stem inwards so it didn't project out so much...

Steve

Some info here...

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?23533-Angled-valve-stems

Some things to be careful of during the installation. Torque on the aluminum threads is quite low. I use an inch-lb. torque wrench on them. Some BMW wheels have an interference on the top side. You can file away either the wheel ridge or the sides of the stem.

The main problem that you are experiencing is that you ran the rubber ones way too long. I replace rubber stems every other tire. The advantage to rubber stems is that you get a new schrader vavle with each one and you have no issues of fit, torque, or the rubber seat under the metal stem eventually deteriorating. With short rubber stems you can reach them with an inflation chuck just fine. There are some inferior rubber stems around as well if you try to see how cheap you can buy them on FleaBay. Otherwise, quality rubber stems, changed regularly, are probably the most robust solution. You are very fortunate they failed at home and didn't let go on the road causing a flat and possible loss of control. I have friend who had one fail on the road and he got out all his fancy tire repair tools only to find that the valve was the problem. He did not have a spare valve with him, and even of he did, he didn't have the equipment to break and reseat the bead for installation. Changing the stem when he changed the tire would have prevented the entire adventure.

If you have on of those valve top aftermarket tire pressure monitors then you will need short, straight metal steel stems. I don't care for those sensors because they hold the Schrader valve open and thereby create the opportunity for problems.

Mine don't seem to be very long. Not sure there are shorter ones....WIll have to see whats available.
Steve

Mine don't seem to be very long. Not sure there are shorter ones....WIll have to see whats available.
Steve

Your valve stems appear to be the OEM stems. They are a TR412 valve stem. I used to get mine at he dealer, BUT - they are now asking almost $10 EACH for them. I now buy a bag of quality TR412 valve stems for about a buck and a half each stem. My valve stems are never on the wheel for more than a year before they get replaced.

I do run the valve stem top sensor TPMS. Never had a problem with the valve stems or the sensors. Running the TPMS sensors and monitor for over 6 years.

Your valve stems appear to be the OEM stems. They are a TR412 valve stem. I used to get mine at he dealer, BUT - they are now asking almost $10 EACH for them.
Well worth the $10 if they are in fact a quality item. There was a big problem in the past- http://www.safetyresearch.net/blog/articles/dill-finally-launches-tire-valve-stem-recall

I do run the valve stem top sensor TPMS. Never had a problem with the valve stems or the sensors. Running the TPMS sensors and monitor for over 6 years.
The top screw on sensors are fine as long as they stay in line with the straight valve stems. Attached at an angle, the gyroscopic "flail" will cause trouble.
OM

I've used Bike Master 90 degree stems from Revzilla for years on my 2010 GSA sidecar rig. When installing them I rotated them back about 45 degrees to lessen the risk of snagging anything. I alos use them on my 2012 GSA two wheeler which rarely sees pavement. As someone already mentioned, the torque on these is really low. They sure have made checking tire pressure and topping off much easier, especially when angled to the right so when the bike is on the sidestand the stems angle up as well.

Pete

At this stage, I am leaning towards these.
Can't find a supplier in Oz, so may have get from the US.
Will see what my local bike shop has first....

Angle.JPG

My angled valve stems arrived.
Anybody know if the rubber seal is fitted to the inside of the rim or outside?
No mention in the instructions?
Steve

Outside, if they are the type where the nut is inside.

Thanks GS. I thought as much.
I got one fitted and it looked fine. There is a ridge that runds along one edge of the valve hole and filed that down carefully, so the valve stem would sit flat.
Tyre pumped up ok and looked like it was sitting flat ont he rim.
When I got it home( 10 min drive ) the tyre was flat!
I pumped it up again and air was pissing out the back of the angled valve......hmm
Give up for now and just fit a stock valve, and go ride......

Its too awkward to much around, getting the tyre fitted and removed to try and sort this.

Steve

Last edited:
Sterob, I feel your pain. A few years back on one of our annual fall trips to the Blue Ride Parkway, the Dragon, and Cherohala Skyway, one of our riders had a rear tire issue on is K1100RS. Fortunately, we found a motorcycle shop in the area that had a suitable tire in stock. During installation, he asked them to install a 90° valve stem. This "universal" stem held air until we were about 15 miles into the very remote CS. No cell signal up there! So, air it up... go a mile or so... stop to air it up again and check for cell signal (you get the idea). They ended up towing it back to their shop to put a proper valve stem in it. Killed most of the day's ride.

Sterob, I feel your pain. A few years back on one of our annual fall trips to the Blue Ride Parkway, the Dragon, and Cherohala Skyway, one of our riders had a rear tire issue on is K1100RS. Fortunately, we found a motorcycle shop in the area that had a suitable tire in stock. During installation, he asked them to install a 90° valve stem. This "universal" stem held air until we were about 15 miles into the very remote CS. No cell signal up there! So, air it up... go a mile or so... stop to air it up again and check for cell signal (you get the idea). They ended up towing it back to their shop to put a proper valve stem in it. Killed most of the day's ride.

yes...not much fun....
Damn annoying....

I think I have found the solution....Don't know when I'll get to try it now.....
I found pics of a mod someone has done to get them to fit a R1150RT wheel ( same as mine )
It appears you have to machine a step on the back of the valve stem,so it sits parallel to the rim.
When I 'test' fitted the stem, before I went to bike shop, it did *seem* to sit flat......but apparently, not 'flat' enough.

Wish I had seen that before...oh well.....

Steve

View attachment 69034

I think I have found the solution....Don't know when I'll get to try it now.....
I found pics of a mod someone has done to get them to fit a R1150RT wheel ( same as mine )
It appears you have to machine a step on the back of the valve stem,so it sits parallel to the rim.
When I 'test' fitted the stem, before I went to bike shop, it did *seem* to sit flat......but apparently, not 'flat' enough.

Wish I had seen that before...oh well.....

Steve

View attachment 69034

I have two sets of angled valve stems I bought for my 1100RT. Neither of them fit the rims properly and if installed would just leak. That "step" you mentioned seems to be particular to BMW rims and standard angled valves stems just don't fit properly without modifying the stems or the rims. I just went back to the short ones which most tire stores have loads of.

Back