• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

96 k1100rs first ride report + humming sound

bwoods1100

Finally got the brick to a point In which I could take her for a low speed test ride around my neighborhood. Whilst cruising at about 15mph a took notice of a humming sound coming from the final drive area, nothing profoundly loud but enough to hear if you pay close attention. It's a constant droning "Hum hum hum hum".. any of you notice this on your k bikes ? Should I be concerned? Also it should be noted this bike has 127,000 miles on it

Tires are 6 years old and haven't been ridden. So in the parts bin I found two wheel spacers. I of course only have one installed (on the final drive side). Would there be any reason two would be used ? (Also this bike came to me in pieces so I wasn't able to see it assembled )

Ok good haha. I'll re check everything in the morning. The very last thing I will check is the drive shaft. I would think if that was out of phase it would sound differently than the humming I described and vibrate like crazy. I've never INproperly installed a drive so I don't know what it would sound like. I'm very confident I have it installed and phased correctly but we all make mistakes.

I found the problem. It was the tire rubbing against the large zip tie I placed on my swingarm to secure the abs sensor cable. There was good clearance when the bike was on it's center stand but when I put weight on the tire it expanded just enough for the cut tip on the tie to come into contact with the labels on the tire wall.. I guess we all need to laugh at ourselves sometimes. I took her out for 20 min with no hums to be heard.

I found the problem. It was the tire rubbing against the large zip tie I placed on my swingarm to secure the abs sensor cable. There was good clearance when the bike was on it's center stand but when I put weight on the tire it expanded just enough for the cut tip on the tie to come into contact with the labels on the tire wall.. I guess we all need to laugh at ourselves sometimes. I took her out for 20 min with no hums to be heard.

Always enjoy hearing a happy (and inexpensive) end to a story. I hope the rest of your project ends the same way.

Back